SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    “The Food That Built America” Mini series.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“The Food That Built America” Mini series. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Caught the first two installments so far and thought it quite good.

SNIP:
A+E Networks-owned cable net History will launch its food history series The Food That Built America next month.

The 3 x 120-minute series tells the stories of innovation and rivalry that shaped America’s culinary landscape into what we know today, recounting the stories of food industry tycoons like Milton Hershey, John and Will Kellogg, Henry Heinz, C.W. Post, the McDonald brothers and more.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Jsyv5reBXeM

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am watching it. Pretty interesting stuff.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying it.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I'm enjoying it also.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
One of their few shows with actual History.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Being a foodie I found it very interesting. Trumps Mar A Lago started out as Marjories Post's home the daughter of C.W. Post founder of Post Cereals. After her death the home wound up in the hands of the government who eventually sold it to Trump.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Any mention of buffalo/bison meat? In particular, tongue?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've not seen nor heard of it, (don't watch a lot of TV) but will look it up,

as far as food and history, I do enjoy the vids that Townsend's posts on youtube,

cooking in the style of 1700's, in 1700's type kitchen or over a fire

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I hope they cover pizza. Even though it's Italian, it's America that put in on the map.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Fascinating series.

At one point, it suddenly dawned on me … there was a time when ketchup didn't exist!

I never thought of that before.

Heinz packaged in clear, colorless bottles to emphasize the purity of his product.

Corn flakes were invented by accident.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're liking this series, you'll like this book, Ten Restaurants that Changed America. It hits on the country's economy at the time, food supply, transportation and how all of that shaped American dietary habits and culture. If you're like myself, who cooks a lot, travels and is particular about where I spend my money for meals, this entire subject matter is very fascinating.

quote:
John and Will Kellogg, C.W. Post,

I just got done listening to a 7-part podcast series on Business Wars called Cereal Wars. Ever wanted to know about how it all started and why breakfast is the most heavily marketed of all the meals, give it a listen.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I believe that their premise of the companies is wrong. Heinz, Kellogg, and Post were only participants and were not the main drivers of the food that built America. They are trying to force a historical narrative that did not exist.
Wheat, corn, potatoes, beef. That is the food that built America. But that does not present the drama to parallel the Men Who Built America series.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Fascinating series.

At one point, it suddenly dawned on me … there was a time when ketchup didn't exist!

I never thought of that before.

Heinz packaged in clear, colorless bottles to emphasize the purity of his product.

Corn flakes were invented by accident.

Ketchup/catsup has been around much longer than the USA! Ketchup was brought to Europe (from China? by traders) in the 17th century.
It was originally fish sauce based. Ketchup has/is also made from mushrooms and walnuts (as well as other things).

Heinz started by offering pickles and relishes (not tomato ketchup) in clear glass bottles. I believe it took 17 years before Heinz began to sell ketchup.
Many, many other American individuals/firms offered bottled tomato ketchup before Heinz (like 30 years)!

On the subject of clear glass bottles and product purity -- to make pickles/green vegetables "greener" (thus more appealing); many early vendors added copper salts (or "just a touch" of arsenic). 1855 British legislation forced Crosse & Blackwell to stop this practice.

So don't believe everything you "learn" from TV! Tomato ketchup has been around since the late 1700's early 1800's.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I recorded all 3 episodes. Watched the first one yesterday and enjoyed it. Was done very well.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post