SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite male film noir actors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite male film noir actors Login/Join 
posted
I have always liked Robert Mitchum. Aloof, cool and detached. Robert Ryan is a second with his brooding nature.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Orson Welles.

Sterling Hayden

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...
Robert Mitchum. No Way Out.
Fred Macmurray. Double Indemnity
Burt Lancaster. The Killers.
Humphrey Bogart. The Big Sleep / High Sierra

Hard to pick one favorite.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Also Glen Ford and Richard Widmark.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Mitchum and Bogart. It is a cliche, but they stand the test of time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
always been a Bogart fan. I've collected a copy of almost every film he ever made.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
always been a Bogart fan. I've collected a copy of almost every film he ever made.

Got "In a Lonely Place". 1950? IMO, Bogart's best. Super direction - Nicholas Ray.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without cheating, I’ll add Sidney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre & Edward G.

Cheating adds these folks.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls050214076/

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, if you have to 'cheat' to answer a question about a favorite of yours, they're not really a favorite, are they?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Bogart, hands down.

Although I'd give Fred MacMurray an honorable mention for Double Indemnity since he played against type so well.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I like character actors.
Dan Duryea
Elisha Cook
Percy Helton

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Robert Mitchum

First name I thought of, even before opening the thread.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lawrence Tierney. One of the great bad guys. He was that way in real life as well.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Cagney

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
Robert Mitchum

First name I thought of, even before opening the thread.

I totally agree - when someone thinks of film noir actors, Robert Mitchum has to be at the top of the list.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My now departed Mother in law once quietly told me in confidence that she always had the hots for Robert Mitchum......

Not a film noir but the final scene of the longest day is one of his best moments on film.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Garfield. Always adept at playing a blue collar guy caught up in bigger world he did not fully understand. Underappreciated.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
You almost forgot Robert Montgomery. Here he is, opposite actress Audrey Totter.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post