SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I just watched The Godfather again.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just watched The Godfather again. Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
I'm always struck by how well the movie is paced. There's space to allow the watcher to savor the camera and acting work, but even the sound and music fits right in to where it should.

There's only one gripe that I have, and that's always the Sonny beat down scene. Too many wildly missed punches and kicks and it pulls me out of the immersive street scene. Cars, trash can lids, the water from the hydrant. It's all perfectly placed, all except James' punches.

Additionally, I'm always stuck by how I ask myself every viewing, "Why does he go back for Kay and not a new girl...?" But then I remember that it's comfortable for him, and she (probably) knows that she'll be cared for regardless of what he may or may not be into.

When's the last time you were able to treat yourself to a viewing?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've watched it so many times that I practically have the entire script memorized. I can pause it at any random point and usually recite the line that comes next.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, there were some air punches in that scene, but two things- first, in defense of Coppola, I can see how that would be a difficult scene to re-shoot, so the "close enough" approach he took, I cannot fault him. Secondly, would it make the scene feel any more authentic for you if you knew that James Caan (Sonny) and Gianni Russo (Carlo) did not like each other at all in real life, and that the stick you see Caan throwing actually hit Russo in the head pretty hard?
quote:
When's the last time you were able to treat yourself to a viewing?
Well, I catch bits and pieces of it at least every few months when it's broadcast on TV. I can tell you for certain that I last saw the film in its entirety on June 4, 2017:

Viewing a digital projection The Godfather in a movie theater

Bonus: Solving the Mystery of Lou the Driver

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I watched it in its entirety a few months ago on BluRay. I do this perhaps twice a year, not counting the times I come across it on cable TV like AMC and I'll tune to it while preparing dinner or cutting my nails or something. Same with Godfather II. I never get tired of the films. The one time I saw it in the theaters was during it's 25th anniversary run in the 90s.

And I'll add to Para's anecdote about the Sonny/Carlo fight- Russo received two broken ribs while being slammed with the trashcan in that scene. And getting hit in the head with the stick was "improvised" Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, I never knew he ended up with broken ribs. Eek

posted Hide Post
I usually watch at least one of the first two movies twice a year. I last watched the 1 and 2 back to back in July while on vacation. I often flip flop on which movie I think is better.

My grandmother was born in Sicily near the town of Savoca where some of the movie was filmed. She immigrated when she was young but she had some memories of the area and would speak of them often. I always think of her when they show the scenes from Vito's youth and Michael's time in Italy.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever added up the number of times oranges show up?

I watched the Fredo "I'm smart!" scene (probably from the Chris Cuomo thread) and noticed for the first time that Al Neri is eating an orange slice as Michael walks past him to talk to Fredo.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I haven't counted, but oranges signify death throughout all three films.

Look what drops out of Michael Corleone's hand in the final scene of GFIII.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, I never knew he ended up with broken ribs. Eek

He is an interesting part of the Godfather world. He claimed to be connected, the real deal, and I don't know if that is true or not. His Wikipedia page is bizarre in a way, kind of unbelievable Big Grin. Who knows, he's a trippy guy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have no idea where I first heard or read it, so call it anecdotal at best, but supposedly it was entirely by accident in the first film, but something that was noticed by enough viewers that it made it back to Coppola. He subsequently decided to continue it through the other films.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh, my second favorite film! Casablanca being first. Lenny Montana who played Luca Brasi was also a connected guy. Worked for the Columbo crime family, even served some time at the gray bar motel. He was very nervous about his scene with Marlon Brando that Coppala felt his nervousness added to his character.

I'm trying to find the interview where Coppala said he felt a lot of the scenes in the Corleone home office were too dark. That would also be my only minor complaint with the film. Not a wasted frame anywhere in it.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I haven't ever worked up the courage to sit down and watch part 3. Is this something I should do?

I'm nervous that it might taint the character of Michael for me.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
3 takes an undeserved beating.

It is still a very good movie and brings Michael’s journey full circle. The anguish on his face at that critical scene at the end, he is crying out for not only his loss, but all of his sins of the past.

My only “hate” for the movie was the helicopter scene. It was the one scene that took me out of the movie and reminded me that it was a product of the 1980’s action movies.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I haven't ever worked up the courage to sit down and watch part 3. Is this something I should do?

I'm nervous that it might taint the character of Michael for me.

You should watch it. By itself, it is a decent film, unfortunately, it will always be compared to the previous ones. It has been beaten to death, maybe a little unfairly, but it is inferior to I & II. Casting was problematic, and IMO, Sophia was not the problem.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I have no idea where I first heard or read it, so call it anecdotal at best, but supposedly it was entirely by accident in the first film, but something that was noticed by enough viewers that it made it back to Coppola. He subsequently decided to continue it through the other films.

"Orange you glad yous is still alive?"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gianni Russo

Just read about him on Wikipedia... I'd say two to the head is a good choice when someone is attacking you with a broken champaign bottle.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I picked up the box set used about 10 years ago, but I have to pace myself. I have watched it twice off those discs so far.

It never fails to impress me.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I also was not aware of the whole subtitle thing in the restaurant. I kept trying to figure out why the subtitles didn't show for that meeting, and why my copy was messed up.

Turns out there never were any, and official releases don't have them.

I keep learning things about these movies.

EDIT - Thanks for the links Para.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I was watching TV last night and saw a familiar name. Not only did Albert Ruddy produce The Godfather, but he created Hogan's Heroes. Never noticed that bit of trivia.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
One of four movies I have seen many times but can watch every time I stumble upon them.
The four include:
The Godfather
The Godfather Part Two
Shawshank Redemption
A Bronx Tale

Every time I tell you.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post