SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dweezil Zappa Choice Cuts Tour
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dweezil Zappa Choice Cuts Tour Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted
if you are a fan of Frank Zappa, and would like to see his son preform some of his work,
I highly recommend seeing this tour,

last night, the beacon in Hopewell

3+ hours of music, mostly deep track stuff,

EXCELLENT performance, Dweezil is a helluva guitarist, and his band is fantastic,

no opener, doors opened at 630, they were playing at 8, one encore, out about 1115 or so,

good times

eta set list from the show the night before in Asheville,

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist...lle-nc-73961215.html

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Yep, excellent guitar player. Not only did he have his father as an influence, but Eddie Van Halen as a mentor. Dweezil meet VH when he was 12 yo, getting him to not only produce his first recording (age 12 yo) "My Mother is a Space Cadet", but also helped him out at his school talent show, teaching him "Runnin with the Devil", and lending him one of his guitars. Interesting childhood, to say the least.

I heard he recently reconciled with his siblings, after years of turmoil and fighting in regards to the Zappa Trust. Seems Dweezil was considered the bad guy for learning his dad's music and touring. Would like to see him, but looks like this leg of the tour will not be coming to the DFW area.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Yep, excellent guitar player. Not only did he have his father as an influence, but Eddie Van Halen as a mentor. Dweezil meet VH when he was 12 yo, getting him to not only produce his first recording (age 12 yo) "My Mother is a Space Cadet", but also helped him out at his school talent show, teaching him "Runnin with the Devil", and lending him one of his guitars. Interesting childhood, to say the least.

I heard he recently reconciled with his siblings, after years of turmoil and fighting in regards to the Zappa Trust. Seems Dweezil was considered the bad guy for learning his dad's music and touring. Would like to see him, but looks like this leg of the tour will not be coming to the DFW area.

I am with you Oddball, were he coming here, I would snatch up them tickets!

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm not into Frank's music, at all, but recognize the associated virtuosity.

Dweezil is definitely a good guitarist. I'm sure it was a good show for the fans.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Saw him a couple years ago.
Can't remember who he opened for? Maybe Joe Satriani?
Pretty good

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

I had heard the Van Halen was his neighbor ,

I had also heard there was some family feuding about him playing Zappa music with out paying royalties to the family trust,

he toured in the past as Zappa playsZappa, now it is basically the same band , but tours as Deewzil Zappa,

either way, he and his band were amazing (my 2nd time seeing him live)

he seems to hit the RVA area often, so I will definitely see him again

I have watched a few utube vids of ZPZ on stage with members of Franks band, including Satriani, and maybe Via as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post