SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealer.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealer. Login/Join 
Picture of Kuisis
posted
I don't know if anyone else enjoys Wheeler Dealer, but it's become a favorite of mine. I think the show has really jumped the shark with Edd leaving. It will become like American Restoration when they moved the focus from the actual restoration. Hope they decide to reevaluate.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
They always seem to get deals on goods and services and when they figure costs, Edd's labor is about a zillion hours that never could match the profit they gain. I'm sure the show pays him well enough as is but yeah, the labor costs always seem glossed over.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they always gloss over the labor costs.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Too bad I like the show, even to the point of watching old versions over on my DVR.

It has seemed that Edd was strained on the past season, to the point of not showing up for scenes and Mike doing some work on the car, more than usual.

Perhaps he's tired of having to come to CA and spend a lot of time shooting it as well, it was a UK based show for a long time.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nooooooo! Say it ain't so? Frown

Posts: 22903 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
There is no Wheeler Dealers without Edd China.

Brewer has all the charm of the typical used car salesman.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Well Crap...... One of my favorites. Agreed, no Edd , no show.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I really like their UK-based shows better. I don't know that I'll be interested in watching if Edd is gone, though.

What's maddening is that it's a production decision that is causing Edd to leave: Lovable mechanic Edd’s workshop sequences are famous for their detail, technical accuracy and genuinely enjoyable watchability, but because they’re time-consuming and therefore expensive to film, the new production company, Velocity, wants to cut them down and simplify them.

Here's what Edd had to say: “However, this new direction is not something I am comfortable with as I feel the corners I was being asked to cut compromised the quality of my work and would erode my integrity as well as that of the show, so I have come to the conclusion that my only option is to let Velocity get on with it, without me."

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
There is no Wheeler Dealers without Edd China.

Brewer has all the charm of the typical used car salesman.

RMD

Spot on.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Hate to see this happen, Edd and the workshop was the best part of the show. Stupid decision by velocity.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks. Edd is a great piece of that show. I also agree. The U.K. Episodes are better.

One of The reasons I watch the show is the technical stuff that Edd takes the time to show and/or demonstrate and put it in a way that a mechanical dingus like myself can actually grasp.

Poor decision on Velocity's part in my opinion.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well velocity can suck it. Ed's scenes in the shop were 80% of the reason i watched the show.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Well velocity can suck it. Ed's scenes in the shop were 80% of the reason i watched the show.

I would raise that to 90% for me.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Just saw the video

Lately Discovery is destroying everything it touches.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

This....

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Too bad I like the show, even to the point of watching old versions over on my DVR.

It has seemed that Edd was strained on the past season, to the point of not showing up for scenes and Mike doing some work on the car, more than usual.

Perhaps he's tired of having to come to CA and spend a lot of time shooting it as well, it was a UK based show for a long time.

If you go back and watch some of those episodes; you can see how the see how the condensed the segments Mike did and that they are no accurate depictions of the work involved.

That cutting of corners is why he's leaving.

I want Netflix to pick him up for 12 episode seasons and give him like 2-4 cars that he can spend multiple episodes on.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I won't tune in if Ed is gone. Best part of the show.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Maybe there are other threads on this, and my search skills are weak, but I tried.

Also maybe the entire world knew this before I did, but the reason I'm reanimating this long dead thread is that apparently WD is moving back to the Uk and Anstead is leaving the show. When it gets back to England, Marc Priestly will replace Anstead. I've seen him on another WD spinoff sometime back.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Edd made a brief cameo appearance on Project Binky.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15306 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Maybe there are other threads on this, and my search skills are weak, but I tried.

Also maybe the entire world knew this before I did, but the reason I'm reanimating this long dead thread is that apparently WD is moving back to the Uk and Anstead is leaving the show. When it gets back to England, Marc Priestly will replace Anstead. I've seen him on another WD spinoff sometime back.

Always liked Edd, however Ant did a better job and presented better, JMO....

I can see how after so many years in the US, and the amount of work and time it takes to create a show, fix vehicles, work with Brewer that he'd need a break. Ad in his recent divorce after two years of marriage and he's probably done with El Eh....

I think he still owns a company in the UK, he flew back to build the body off a mold he had in his shop for that one seat 1930's F1 Alfa he built.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post