SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Historical Accuracy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Historical Accuracy Login/Join 
posted
I enjoy watching certain programs on AHC regarding World War Two, the Civil War and brief biographies of Churchil and Stalin. Much of the material was never covered in the History classes I took in high school.

I am curious as to how historically accurate these shows are. Does anyone have some insight on this? Thanks

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Uh, which programs?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
World War II in color. British narration. I will have to look up the others.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
...in the History classes I took in high school...

WWII as explained in textbooks: US + Churchill = Good guys. Germans = Bad guys. Hitler = Very bad guy. Move along and learn about the '60s and all that Baby Boomer stuff. Everybody likes the '60s!

WWII as explained on TV: They have to keep your attention so you will watch all of the commercials so they can pay their bills. Saw an hour of WWII and the only thing I know for certain is that I can bundle my home and auto insurance.

Depends on the perspective of who is selling it. Remember, the OJ bullshit was thrown at us as the "Trial of the Century". Would this lead us to believe that the goings on in Nuremberg wasn't all that much???

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Plenty of errors if you're an old fart that was a kid in the 60's when WWII was recent.

One recent one on the Pacific War in Color that had Corsairs identified as Hellcats.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
are you saying Hogan's Heroes is not historically accurate?? Razz

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
are you saying Hogan's Heroes is not historically accurate?? Razz

THREAD DRIFT: I could watch that show every night. I wish there were more episodes. I love when they're on some black ops work and the music playing is so undercover.

Do do dum dum dum dum... tink tink tink

If you love the show, you probably know what the above sounds like.

BACK ON THREAD: I assume there will always be errors in human production. I think that's outweighed by the depth these programs bring vs. the 30,000 foot 6 week fly by most people get on American history.

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plenty of errors if you're an old fart that was a kid in the 60's when WWII was recent

I think what many of the younger generation forget that if the United States had to invade Japan that many of us would not be here today. My father after having survived the Battle of the Bulge was on a troop ship headed for Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped.

The reason I asked the original question is that a friend of mine who is a Professor of History mentioned that the programs on the History Channel had some glaring errors. That was when the History Channel was about history, not Pawn Stars.

posted Hide Post
History is always being reinterpreted to fit the perspective of the author.

Brian Kilmeade recently did a series on the US Civil War for Fox News, fairly accurately, but pretty much concluded that it was solely about slavery -- the popular opinion today, but not factual according to Bruce Catton, who said it ranked 8th on his list of 10 causes.

During History Channel's dying days (before reality shows), they did a segment on the attack that killed Yamamoto, and got one of the participating P-38 pilots to call it an assassination, implying it was unwarranted.

I don't watch or read modern interpretations of historical events any more, preferring older, more respected sources. My time is better spent looking at old Calvin and Hobbes comics.

By the way, I also had a relative on a troop ship going from Europe to the Pacific when the bombs were dropped.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
AHC (formerly The Military Channel) is basically what The History Channel used to be.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
AHC (formerly The Military Channel) is basically what The History Channel used to be.

Smithsonian Channel has some fairly decent shows of an historical basis, unless it involves something with the 44th President, and then it’s all sung praises.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think all history is slanted in the direction of the narrator/creator/author. Just the way it is. The best will be more objective and fair but we all have bias and favorites and this comes through on all history mediums from shows to podcasts to books. I like to just read up on a bunch of different angles and form my own thoughts on what happened.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think all history is slanted in the direction of the narrator/creator/author. Just the way it is. The best will be more objective and fair but we all have bias and favorites and this comes through on all history mediums from shows to podcasts to books. I like to just read up on a bunch of different angles and form my own thoughts on what happened.

I agree. I especially enjoyed reading D Day from the perspective of the German soldiers who were there. It was compiled from interviews of German soldiers that served in Normandy. The interviews were obtained in the early 1950s. The soldiers perspective on the British and American soldiers was fascinating.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
...The best will be more objective and fair but we all have bias and favorites and this comes through on all history mediums...

I agree. Mostly, they don't consider that they're writing about men of different times, and that different times had different attitudes. A man named Benjamin Grierson, a Colonel commanding several Union cavalry regiments, performed a brilliant campaign that allowed Grant to finally take Vicksburg, incurring minimal casualties on both sides. He was promoted to Brigadier General for his successful effort, and consequently became one of my heroes. After the war, I was shocked to find out that he commanded units of Buffalo Soldiers and helped with the destruction of the Indians. I realized, eventually, that he was a Man of his Times -- no more, no less -- and understood why he did it. I don't think most history writers understand this concept.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree. I especially enjoyed reading D Day from the perspective of the German soldiers who were there. It was compiled from interviews of German soldiers that served in Normandy. The interviews were obtained in the early 1950s. The soldiers perspective on the British and American soldiers was fascinating.

ZSMICHAEL - That does sound fascinating!

Do you have the title to that book/books?

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
During History Channel's dying days (before reality shows), they did a segment on the attack that killed Yamamoto, and got one of the participating P-38 pilots to call it an assassination, implying it was unwarranted.

Was "payback" for Jap attack on Pearl Harbor. FDR had signed off on Yamamoto attack.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Justifiable under any circumstance. We were at war, he was the enemy.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/DAY-Thr..._product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks. Just bought this on paperback. Sounds like a fascinating read. A friend of mine who is from Germany was able to give me a little insight on this perspective. I really wanted him to record his grandfather talking to all of his war buddies from many countries. He asked me where my family was from. I kept telling him they were from Georgia (the state, not the country). Gave me a hard time about it until I added 'since 1735'. Then he gave me the nickname of 1735 on all of his company e-mails. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/DAY-Thr..._product_top?ie=UTF8

Thank-you! Cool

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post