SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Words that are commonly confused.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words that are commonly confused. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
We have had threads like this before. Maybe it's time for another one.

regimen v regiment:

Using regiment when regimen should have been used is very common even among educated people.

regiment -
A permanent unit of an army typically commanded by a colonel and divided into several companies, squadrons, or batteries and often into two battalions:
"two or three miles inland a highly experienced artillery regiment had established a defensive position".

regimen -
A prescribed course of medical treatment, way of life, or diet for the promotion or restoration of health:
"a regimen of one or two injections per day".

Do you have any that pluck your nerves?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly vs supposebly

Supposedly: according to what is generally assumed or believed (often used to indicate that the speaker doubts the truth of the statement).
"the ads are aimed at women, supposedly because they do the shopping"

Supposebly: NOT A WORD! Stop using it people!

Sorry not sure if this belongs here, but reminded me of people that use this word.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Clips and Magazines.

A clip is a fragment of a video scene or a quick
haircut.

A magazine is a soft bound printed group of similar
articles.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Moot and Mute

A co-worker uses the term "it's a mute point" occasionally and I don't have the heart to correct him.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Your and You're
It's and Its
There and Their and They're

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Moot and Mute

A co-worker uses the term "it's a mute point" occasionally and I don't have the heart to correct him.

Boss's kid?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
rein vs reign

rein - a long, narrow strap attached at one end to a horse's bit, typically used in pairs to guide or check a horse while riding or driving.

reign - hold royal office; rule as king or queen.

People often type "free reign" or "reign it in" which makes a little bit of sense, but is technically incorrect. A horse with free rein is free to go wherever he wants.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Prerogative vs. Perogative

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 6guns,

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
We have had threads like this before. Maybe it's time for another one.

regimen v regiment:

Using regiment when regimen should have been used is very common even among educated people.

regiment -
A permanent unit of an army typically commanded by a colonel and divided into several companies, squadrons, or batteries and often into two battalions:
"two or three miles inland a highly experienced artillery regiment had established a defensive position".

regimen -
A prescribed course of medical treatment, way of life, or diet for the promotion or restoration of health:
"a regimen of one or two injections per day".

Do you have any that pluck your nerves?
fuck'n huff.post couldn't get that one right either.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
affect vs. effect

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/affect-vs-effect/

Also - farther vs. further

http://grammarist.com/usage/farther-further/

And last - cavalry vs. Calvary - I'll let you look that one up yourselves . .

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thought of another:

"I" vs. "Me"

Incorrect usage:
Bill came over to see Harry and I.
Harry and me are going over to see Bill.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Some good ones, so far.

Don't forget the ever popular lose vs loose.

I blame the internet for this one. It seems the more that people misuse it, the more people think that's the correct way to do it.

For the love of God, people, one team in a competition will lose. Folks lose their keys or sometimes their minds.

Screws come loose. Pets get loose. Clothes can be too loose.

Geez, where did some people go to school?

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Sale vs. sell. Just look in the classifieds.

"I would like to sale my 1911."

Drives me crazy. So does loose vs. lose.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"Begs the question" does not mean "suggests the question."

It means that a statement assumes the thing to be shown to be true. "Chocolate is healthful because it's good for you."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rouge and rogue.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Supposedly vs supposebly

Supposedly: according to what is generally assumed or believed (often used to indicate that the speaker doubts the truth of the statement).
"the ads are aimed at women, supposedly because they do the shopping"

Supposebly: NOT A WORD! Stop using it people!

Sorry not sure if this belongs here, but reminded me of people that use this word.

GAAAAAA!!! I hate this. It is fingernails-on-a-blackboard to me. I have a friend who uses this non-word all the time and it makes me want to slap the slobber out of her.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Conversate is confused as an actual English word.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Regardless
A person having no regards. The word has a suffix .less at the end which indicates without. So regardless is a person without regards.

irregardless
is not a word

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
rein vs reign ...

Thank you. I hate that.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Rouge and rogue.

I saw this a lot online when the movie first came out and found this on social media:

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post