SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Words that are commonly confused.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words that are commonly confused. Login/Join 
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
would've - contraction of would have - is NOT would of.

Same for could've and should've.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, but "carrot or stick" can be correct.

It means to choose between two different forms of motivation, either reward or punishment. As in, motivating a donkey by offering it a carrot, or beating it with a stick.

golly, thanks for pointing out my error by re-phrasing what I essentially stated in my post.

You know, this part.

quote:
carrot or stick has become it's own distinct idiom

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
'Education' and 'Getting indoctrinated with a bunch of liberal crap'.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Rogue" and "Rouge"

Rogue - [rohg] - a loveable scoundrel.

Rouge - [rooj] - French for "red"; a cosmetic.

Rogue:

Rouge:

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calvary - a place in the Bible

Cavalry - what you hope comes to save your ass when you are in a tight spot

---

Not a confusion per se - but I hate seeing / hearing 'nucular'. The dang word is 'nuclear' pronounced noo-clee-ur'. Big Grin

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"Try and ..." when it should be "try to ...".

Irritates the living hell out of me, almost as much as "could of ...".

Mad

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Using the uppercase O for the number zero.

I was going to use the word "capital" for uppercase, but couldn't remember if it was capital or capitol. Razz

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Imply and infer:

Imply: to suggest something rather than say it directly

Infer: to read meaning into what was said

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Accept and except. Just saw this in another section.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
meteoric rise.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
liberal and narrow minded are often confused with one another

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Wail and whale. If you want to, for example, drive a stake into the ground or break something loose, you whale on it. Crying loudly and uncontrollably doesn't do any good. Razz Not that whaling on it makes any sense, either.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
meteoric rise.
Yeah, that one has always bothered me too: the imagery is confusing. You don't think of meteors (meteorites) all the sudden waking up on the surface of the earth and then shooting the fuck off back through the atmosphere and into space.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
meteoric rise.

Ha, I never even thought about that.

That wouldn't be so much a confusion of words as an oxymoron. And speaking of oxymoron, it is sometimes used when one actually means a redundancy.

I just popped over to another section and found another confusion of words: loath and loathe.

posted Hide Post
advice and advise

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buffet and buffet:
One is what the wind does.
One is a style of dining.
And another T and it becomes a rich dude named Warren.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I have two bitches:

1) Quantum i.e. Quantum Jump/Leap - it is a very small thing a "quantum" as in sub-atomic small - not some ginormous orders of magnitude larger.

2) Muster vs. Mustard i.e. Cannot Cut Muster - as in you cannot pass inspection at muster (military) as opposed to the damned hot dog condiment.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
...all the sudden...

There's another one. Wink Razz

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Stop" and "Go". I see them confused all the time at intersections in the city. Big Grin Razz

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post