SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Words that are commonly confused.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words that are commonly confused. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
I really wish someone would tell EVERYBODY in politics and reporting that "decimate" does not mean to completely destroy or obliterate something. It only means to destroy ten (10%) per cent of it. One tenth. Hence, "deci" mate. Aaaaaggghhh!

I took Latin for 4 years in HS so I hear what you are saying.

But the common usage of 'decimate' has become to kill / destroy a large percentage of ...

Kinda like clip / magazine. I know the difference but I understand the usage is largely interchangeable and I don't lose sleep over it. Wink

----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Regardless
A person having no regards. The word has a suffix .less at the end which indicates without. So regardless is a person without regards.

irregardless
is not a word

That's my biggest one right there!!

Oh and along with people NOT putting the period inside the closed quote.

Incorrect: He earned the title "Nancy".

Correct: They all called him a "Nancy girl."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really wish someone would tell EVERYBODY in politics and reporting that "decimate" does not mean to completely destroy or obliterate something. It only means to destroy ten (10%) per cent of it. One tenth. Hence, "deci" mate. Aaaaaggghhh!

quote:
Definition of decimate
decimated; decimating
transitive verb
: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of decimate a regiment
: to exact a tax of 10 percent from
poor as a decimated Cavalier — John Dryden
a : to reduce drastically especially in number cholera decimated the population
Kamieniecki's return comes at a crucial time for a pitching staff that has been decimated by injuries. — Jason Diamos
b : to cause great destruction or harm to firebombs decimated the city an industry decimated by recession

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Diffuse and defuse. You defuse a situation, i.e., prevent it from escalating and (figuratively) exploding.

While we're at it, "literally" is often misused.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
"Begs the question" does not mean "suggests the question."

It means that a statement assumes the thing to be shown to be true. "Chocolate is healthful because it's good for you."

God - this one drives me nuts. It's almost universally misused!

Bugs me too. The MSM is one of the worst offenders. Even fiction authors are bad.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
volumptuous rather than voluptuous.

As in, "I'm a BBW, you know, volumptuous"

curves are one thing, lumps are a whole different thing.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
frustrated = disappointed; thwarted; dissatisfied
flustrated = flustered; agitated
fusstrated = not a word!

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Example of how "literally" can be misused.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Just to name a few...

principal/principle
aisle/isle
versus/verse
quite/quiet

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Border, boarder.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
titled/entitled

ensure/assure/insure

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

capital/capitol

I have to rethink for myself to decide which one is correct for the situation.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Penultimate is often thought to be somehow better than ultimate, but it just means next to last.

posted Hide Post
whats the opposite of flammable? Wink

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
whats the opposite of flammable? Wink

Nonflammable? Certainly not inflammable.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Regardless
A person having no regards. The word has a suffix .less at the end which indicates without. So regardless is a person without regards.

irregardless
is not a word
While that was true in the past, "irregardless" is now considered a word, and has been accepted as such by both the Oxford English Dictionary and M-W.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Nukular - not a word, but used by most Presidents and the Press to represent Nuclear, which, according to Pogo, is not so new and not so clear....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
Carrot or stick.

The original phrase was carrot on a stick i.e. an incentive.

carrot or stick has become it's own distinct idiom just like literally has become an informal adverb describing the opposite of what the original definition was.
Sorry, but "carrot or stick" can be correct.

It means to choose between two different forms of motivation, either reward or punishment. As in, motivating a donkey by offering it a carrot, or beating it with a stick.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Well, whelp, and 'welp."

Well, and whelp are actual words, with very different meanings.

Well (in the context of comparison and misuse of 'welp') is an interjection, used to indicate resumption of discourse, or to introduce a remark. It is also used to express surprise, or expostulation. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/well

Whelp, is a noun, meaning any of the young or carnivorous mammals, and especially of the dog. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whelp

Welp, is not a word. Anyone saying it, commonly in place of well as an interjection, sounds ignorant/stupid, and anyone actually typing it out, appears so ignorant/stupid I question how they have are capable of remembering to breathe. It actually is more difficult to type 'welp" than well, because it requires a transition, from the l to the p key, by the ring finger of the right hand, rather than simply doing a double strike of the l key, with the ring of the right hand.

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Jibe and jive. One's account of an event either does or does not jibe with what actually happened, not jive. Jive is what you called Barbara Billingsley over to translate.