SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Words that are commonly confused.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words that are commonly confused. Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
See this A LOT....even here:

"I could care less..."

Nah. The proper phrase to make your point is, "I couldn't care less...", indicating you have no more caring to give.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Tack vs tact.
Take the right "TACK".
&
Row vs Road
Tough "ROW" to hoe.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Prerogative vs. Prerogative
Confused

quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Supposedly vs supposebly
I think I first noticed the non-word used by Joey, on Friends. From his pronunciation, I thought it was spelled supposably.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Figuratively and literally.

Also the misuse of the word "OF" instead of the correct contraction "'VE"

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Prerogative vs. Prerogative
Confused

quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Supposedly vs supposebly
I think I first noticed the non-word used by Joey, on Friends. From his pronunciation, I thought it was spelled supposably.

Ha! Yeah, I just caught that. It auto-corrected it for me. Was supposed to be perogative.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Weather v. Whether

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
Also the misuse of the word "OF" instead of the correct contraction "'VE"

This one makes me madder than anything should ever make me. I don't know why, but it seems so irreparably stupid to me.

People even use it without contracting it. It is "should have" not "should of."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I was guilty of this for many years...

"For all intensive purposes..."

When it's really

"For all intents and purposes..."

I'm 43 and I still can't figure out its, it's and its'...

I simply gave up on trying to remember which is witch [see what I did there...?]

Another one that took me months to figure out in basic training was what a "vice ribbons" was. As in: "The differences between the dress blue alpha and dress blue bravo uniforms are medals, vice ribbons and badges."

I finally asked a DI what a vice ribbon was and I paid dearly for it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
eminent / imminent

Eminent describes anyone who's famous / important.

Imminent refers to something about to happen.

==============================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Prostrate and prostate.

No, he wasn't "laying prostate on the floor." (I hope)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Prostrate and prostate.

No, he wasn't "laying prostate on the floor." (I hope)

"I was prostate with grief." -Tony Soprano

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

When you want to retract something you said or did, you don't back-peddle.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then vs. than

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

I'm 43 and I still can't figure out its, it's and its'...

It's: contraction of "it is."
Its: possessive, e.g., "a cat has claws on the end of its paws." Since the apostrophe usually indicates possessive (e.g., "benny6's guns), this might be where the confusion comes from.
I don't believe "its'" is used at all.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Archers, loose your arrows.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Ensure vs insure

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Carrot or stick.

The original phrase was carrot on a stick i.e. an incentive.

carrot or stick has become it's own distinct idiom just like literally has become an informal adverb describing the opposite of what the original definition was.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
"Begs the question" does not mean "suggests the question."

It means that a statement assumes the thing to be shown to be true. "Chocolate is healthful because it's good for you."

God - this one drives me nuts. It's almost universally misused!

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Counsel vs. Council.

I also get tired of hearing about "a long road to hoe." It's a long row to hoe. (Why on earth anyone would want to hoe a road...)

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really wish someone would tell EVERYBODY in politics and reporting that "decimate" does not mean to completely destroy or obliterate something. It only means to destroy ten (10%) per cent of it. One tenth. Hence, "deci" mate. Aaaaaggghhh!