SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Words that are commonly confused.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words that are commonly confused. Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of "who's" when it should be whose. Also, the apostrophe is used to indicate a contraction of "who is," not something belonging to the rock band. Razz

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your vs. You're

I've seen some emails lately with a signature line that includes "your welcome" . . . .

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Elicit/illicit.
Ordnance/ordinance. I see this one all the time. Military weaponry is ordnance!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
supersede & supercede..., wait

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Cue vs. queue

cue
a: a signal to a performer to begin a specific action
b: a tapering rod for striking the cue ball (as in billiards and pool)

queue
a: a waiting line; persons, objects, or data are added at one end of the line and are processed at the other

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I like these threads. They give me an outlet for my inner Grammar Nazi. Big Grin

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Apostrophes are free. Use them, liberally, wherever you want to. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Homicide and murder. Yes, all murders are homicides, but a homicide isn't necessarily a murder. Homicide is simply the killing of one human being by another. The circumstances are what dictates its being justifiable (e.g., killing in self defense), murder, manslaughter and all the varying degrees thereof.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Homicide and murder. Yes, all murders are homicides, but a homicide isn't necessarily a murder. Homicide is simply the killing of one human being by another. The circumstances are what dictates its being justifiable (e.g., killing in self defense), murder, manslaughter and all the varying degrees thereof.

A death in wartime is another example of a homicide that is not considered a murder. Even worse is when "murder" is proposed as the "manner of death" or the "cause of death". Manner can be one of only four things: natural, accidental, homicide, or suicide. Cause is the medical determination of what made the body stop working (bleeding out due to gsw, heart attack, blunt force trauma to the brain, etc). Google for "cause of death" and you will usually find manners of death listed among the causes. The two terms are widely misunderstood, and murder does not belong in either category.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Concentric and eccentric. A concentric cam is an oxymoron.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Moot and Mute

A co-worker uses the term "it's a mute point" occasionally and I don't have the heart to correct him.

"It's a moo point."
"Don't you mean moot?"
"It's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter. It's moo."

...otherwise most of my pet peeves (the their/they're/there and who's/whose confusions are the ones I most often correct in reports I get...)

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
succeed/secede
statute/statue

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Calvary (the site of Jesus' crucifixion) and cavalry (horse-mounted soldiers).

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Hanger and hangar.

One is for your clothes, the other is for your plane.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post