SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battlebots is back !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battlebots is back ! Login/Join 
posted
Discovery channel 8 PM on Thursdays. Looks like it's going to be a great season. There are some new interesting bots this year. Loads of fun.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes! I love Battlebots

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I hope Rusty can do good and have luck.

For one guy on his first bout, he did good.

End Game!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, loving it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite a few fires tonight! Enjoyed it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night and (no spoilers) the final fight was an incredible surprise!!! Don't turn away to pick up a drink or something once it starts!!! Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was pretty good for the most part. A couple of the fights with rookies were pretty lame. Guess they’ve joined the virtue signing crowd by calling out their first “trans” builder. Doesn’t really matter to me, but why bother calling it out?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn’t really matter to me, but why bother calling it out?

Same here. I could care less who's competing. I do enjoy the back stories. But championing the first trans competitor means I get to explain it to my three kids ages 8 and under.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Yeah - the trans stuff was stupid, but IT lost.

I think SMEEEEE was a good idea and might work. It can wrap up the other bots and grind away at their wheels with those small spinners. A bot with protected wheels won't get damaged, but not sure how to damage smeeee either. Maybe something with a powerful spinner can break it in half, but then your just fighting two bots instead of one long one...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Despite Tombstone's record of devastation, last season showed strong vertical spinners are more effective.

I can't remember the names, we've yet to see the really powerful flippers this season. They too can be spectacular and are less prone to their own energy being turned back on themselves. That may be Tombstone's biggest problem.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I thought SM(Ex22) was a good idea. Can't get a spinner going if there is another 'bot in the way.

What exactly the Malice bitch wanted the guys from Axe Backwards to suck on was left unclear.

Going by the previews it looks like Chomp & Witch Doctor are back. Hopefully they will put more effort in the robot instead of the wardrobe this time.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What happened to the Team Wyachi flipper from last year? That thing kicked ass.

Whiplash is a neat design, the lifter with the spinner inside it

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
One of the few interview segments I didn't fast forward through last year was the flippers when they were demonstrating them on washing machines in the parking lot - pretty incredible...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
What happened to the Team Wyachi flipper from last year? That thing kicked ass.

Should be in the final round today.

Looks like Mammoth came back from last year with a fresh can of ninja whoop ass!

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
WTF what that new Chomp??

500 pounds! Damn that looks like a complicated walking mechanism. I didn't realize you can increase the weight limit if its a walking bot.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Chomp looks to be cruising for a bruising. You'd think a mean horizontal spinner like Tombstone could mess that walking mechanism up with one hit. Not that much side armor. And repairs won't happen fast I'd think.

And a hammer Roll Eyes
If that hundred pound hammer in the corner doesn't do more damage than it does, why build a bot with one? Not to mention most hammers seem to bust off quick.

Still, I'd love to see a 250 pound Tombstone unleash its spinner on 500 pound Chomp. Tombstone might go in orbit.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The Chomp love fest of last time was a bit much. The best thing they had going for them was Judge Lisa.

500 pounds? Seems like team Wayachi had this walker rule defeated when they redesigned their drive system. Can't remember how long ago that was, but it was when the 'art bots' were a thing (because of this rule) and Warhead made its debut.

Realistically they will only match Chomp against some pillows and cotton balls. It is going to be really sweet when Rotator pops those shiny aluminum legs off, but I'd prefer to see Uppercut bust the thing in two.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Despite Tombstone's record of devastation, last season showed strong vertical spinners are more effective.

While Tombstone has considerable history of both bot design & savvy operator, it seemed to me the operator was a bit off his feed last couple weeks. I watch the driver as he has been very sharp in observing the driver flaws in his opponent. I saw at least 2 spots where Tombstone was either hesitant or turning the wrong way AFTER the quickie new crews reacted faster than he could adapt to their strategy.

Pretty amazing jumble of mechanical/silicon ideas on display out there.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
What do Jackpot and Ghost Raptor have in common?

After the last match, they are worth about four grand each.

Does anybody know what is the purpose of a team having a drone?

Comic relief?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

While Tombstone has considerable history of both bot design & savvy operator, it seemed to me the operator was a bit off his feed last couple weeks. I watch the driver as he has been very sharp in observing the driver flaws in his opponent. I saw at least 2 spots where Tombstone was either hesitant or turning the wrong way AFTER the quickie new crews reacted faster than he could adapt to their strategy.

Pretty amazing jumble of mechanical/silicon ideas on display out there.

I think the main issue for Tombstone is that it’s basically an unchanged design. A few seasons ago, it was tearing everyone up, but now other bot builders know it’s the one to beat and have adapted their designs specifically to take on that type of bot, with heavy sloping armor, protected wheels to allow it to take the hits, and more maneuverability. Tombstone has so much rotating mass in that blade that if it gets deflected instead of just cutting through, it throws itself up into the air and it’s hits on the other bots become as damaging to itself as to the opponent.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post