SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Which beans do you use for Red Beans and Rice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which beans do you use for Red Beans and Rice? Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I've got a hankerin' for some RB&R. I like the small red beans better but the GF prefers them big assed kidney beans. This has led to some agitated discussions over the years.

Which do you prefer?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
smaller red beans, but don't remember what they are called. I know they aren't kidney beans.

Just had some at lunch today :-)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Red beans. Sometimes hard to find, I grab a few cans when I see them

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
get a can of big beans and a can of small beans

Mix them up in the rice equally, call it diversity beans n rice...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
For true diversity shouldn't you have some black beans in there? Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
well that depends on how far you're willing to go.. for diversity's sake Big Grin

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
smaller red beans, but don't remember what they are called.

Would ya believe... "small red beans".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use both depending on what is available, I don't have a preference. My wife has an absolutely awesome recipe. She uses the dried beans in either case-I cannot think of the brand name of the smaller ones we use when available.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Are you gonna share this recipe or are you just gonna let us starve? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
You need to get Camellia brand dried beans from New Orleans. They are not the big kidney beans and they are very dark red.

armadill0

Posts: 35 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: April 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I too prefer Camellia brand, but HEB's work fine too. I actually made a pot today:

With this recipe you can also slice the andouille and just throw it in the pot at the same time as the beans if you don't want to grill it.

New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
1 pound dried red beans, rinsed and sorted over
4 Tablespoons of butter
1lb chopped tasso, or chopped ham
1 chopped yellow onion
3 ribs chopped celery
1 chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne (to taste)
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1/2 pound andouille smoked sausage, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cloves chopped garlic
Chicken stock, or water, sufficient qty to cover beans

Place the beans in a large bowl or pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.

In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the tasso and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the onions, celery and bell peppers to the butter in the pot. Season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft. Add the bay leaves, parsley, thyme, garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and stock or water, stir well, and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours or low and simmer for 4-6 hours, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken. (Should the beans become too thick and dry, add more water, about 1/4 cup at a time.)

Slice the sausage links diagonally and grill over charcoal until very lightly charred.

Remove from the heat and with the back of a heavy spoon, mash about 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot. Continue to cook until the beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.
Serve over rice with grilled sausage and garnish with green onions.

Fraid I didn't get a pic of the final product... Frown

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Thanks, tigereye. I've saved your recipe and will try it next time; it's pretty similar to the way I make the dish.
Camellia beans are available from Amazon.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Thanks, tigereye. I've saved your recipe and will try it next time; it's pretty similar to the way I make the dish.

Just finished a leftover bowl for lunch and as usual it is better next day.

Lemme know what you think when you make it. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Third on Camellia beans. And, yes, although not traditional, we also throw in some black beans. We generally get our sausage, mainly Andouille, from a local guy at the BR farmer's market.

You're making this for Monday, right?

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wife cooks it and I eat it. No idea what she uses but I love it.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Here is the recipe I use NOLA Cuisine. I sometimes cut the andoullie with some Conecuh Cajun sausage. Yes, better the next day. Serve with french bread.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I read the title to this thread and thought of the question:

"What color was George Washington's white horse?"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Just finished a leftover bowl for lunch and as usual it is better next day.

Lemme know what you think when you make it. Smile
I ordered some Camellia beans from Amazon and followed your recipe except for substituting a couple of ham hocks for the Tasso. My God this stuff is awesome! It's now a standard in my cooking repertoire. Smile

If y'all don't fix this before you die, then you're going to hell. [Justin Wilson voice] I Garr-un-tee. [/Justin Wilson voice]

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have made this several times now. I use smoked ham hocks. It don't get any better than this.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
get a can

That there is your problem. Can? No way.

And mixing in some blacks is always good!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post