SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post-Rock, instrumental rock. Any favorites?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post-Rock, instrumental rock. Any favorites? Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted
Most seem to be offshore but there are a few American bands I really like.
Karma To Burn from West Virginia has been around forever.
Pelican from Chicago is pretty cool. Russian Circles also from Chicago rocks out.

IAH from Argentina is pretty new and just released another album that I'll be playing for a bit.
I really like these guys too and would like to see them live.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Not sure what Post Rock is,

however,

when Instrumental is mentioned, I think

King Crimson
Jeff Beck
Frank Zappa

not always in that order,

I'm on another forum (gunboards) were discussions are held from time to time on music, and have heard some very interesting stuff like you posted that I cannot remember the name of the bands,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure what Post Rock is

Never heard of the term but I listen to a lot of guitar greats which the list is very long.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still like the Ventures & surf guitars.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Not sure who coins all these terms, most I have to look up.
I always just call rock n roll with no vocals Instrumental.

But in the tag line for bands it can have a dozen different names.
Who knows what they'll call it in another 10 years.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a whole genre of instrumental psychelic/stoner rock that I like to listen to while I'm working. In current rotation are:
Electric Moon
Sula Bassana
Causa Sui
Rotor
Mother Engine
Solar Corona
Domo
Satorinaut
Yuri Garagin
Mythic Sunship
My Brother the Wind
Mahogany Frog

In a more progressive rock vein:
Miriodor
Djam Karet

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Mahavishnu Orchestra (the original one with Jerry Goodman, Jan Hammer, Rick Laird, and Billy Cobham)

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Never heard of post rock, or IAH here in Argentina.

Rock is dead, long live rock! (The Who)

Have we become dinosaurs?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Jeff Beck
Christopher Franke
Edgar Froese
Jan Hammer
Isotope
King Crimson
Kraftwerk
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Ronnie Montrose
The Alan Parsons Project
Klaus Schulze
Synergy
Tangerine Dream

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mogwai

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they qualify as 'post-rock' but, I've been listening to "The Brian Jonestown Masscre" quite a bit.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post rock is not some of the fudd-y mentions here.

The aforementioned Mogwai
Explosions in the Sky
This will destroy you
EF (Swedish post rock band)
Mono (Japanese)

A group of not quite post rock but similar vein modern Primarily instrumental music

Balmorhea
Efterklang
Helios
Sigur ros
Do make say think

Always looking for recommendations so great topic !

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I still like the Ventures & surf guitars.

there is a band based our of PA that is a Talking Heads tribute band,

they used to open for themselves as a surf music band (several members are multi instrumentalist)

they have some vids on utube, the Great Whites is what they called themselves IIRC,

another great band is Khraungbin, (may not have spellz that rite)

mostly instrumental, with a tone of reverb

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Houston's own Khruangbin are good and an interesting twist on familiar themes. It's funny that they wear matching wigs when performing as this act.

I'm a long time Mogwai fan. They're Scotish, from Glasgow, and their music sounds like it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Not sure what Post Rock is

Never heard of the term but I listen to a lot of guitar greats which the list is very long.

How deep must the rabbit hole be to find this... stuff?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Post-Rock the term was coined in the late 90s, and generally refers to atypical (primarily)-Instrumental Rock that's been released since the year 2000, and it's both a useful and necessary distinction for the ways in which these sorts of bands *break* the normal, standard Rock formula, especially in longer form songs.

Psychedelic Rock is different from Blues Rock which is different from Red Dirt which is different from Indie Rock which is different from Alt Rock which is different from Hard Rock (which grew into Metal and its subgenres), etc.

Most of these subgenre labels grow organically, often from the/an area where it started or was especially popular, or from some DJ, or an article in Rolling Stone or some other music publication with reviews.

The rabbit hole is quite deep and quite wide, just in Western Music from, say, 1900 forward. There is an enormous amount of music out there, of many many varieties.

Niches within niches, turtles all the way down.

King Crimson is Prog Rock, for instance. Tool is a sort of Art Rock, Prog Rock, Metal hybrid. Metallica is Heavy Metal / Thrash or Skate Metal or Bay Area Metal.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Post-Rock the term was coined in the late 90s , and generally refers to atypical (primarily)-Instrumental Rock that's been released since the year 2000 , and it's both a useful and necessary distinction for the ways in which these sorts of bands *break* the normal, standard Rock formula, especially in longer form songs.

MMkay, I sort if understand now. Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No real mystery, the term Post-Rock didn't really catch on until around 2000 despite an earlier origin.

It's also often more of an umbrella term that refers to a group of specific subgenres, such as modern Psychedelic Rock and modern Surf Rock and so on, collectively. That way one can talk about both Mogwai and Khruangbin who sound as different as they do similar yet still belong together broadly.

Also, these things are Descriptive, not Prescriptive.

They're just attempts to describe and group things. There's overlap, but it all works quite well.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Only 20 companies own the 3000 most popular radio stations in the US, and of those 20 companies - only 4 of them own the vast majority of the total, all basically playing the same stuff over and over and over.

So four companies own about 90% of the popular radio stations, and on this 90% of all popular radio stations they only even play 2% to maybe 25% of the available music in a given genre or group of them.

Most people, unless they dig for it, will never even hear 75+% of the music that's already out there. I love music, and keep up with a lot of it, and yet - hardly a month goes by that someone doesn't introduce me to something I've never heard, and oftentimes it's a few to many years old, and related to two artists I already like or something.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Only 20 companies own the 3000 most popular radio stations in the US, and of those 20 companies - only 4 of them own the vast majority of the total, all basically playing the same stuff over and over and over.

So four companies own about 90% of the popular radio stations, and on this 90% of all popular radio stations they only even play 2% to maybe 25% of the available music in a given genre or group of them.

Most people, unless they dig for it, will never even hear 75+% of the music that's already out there. I love music, and keep up with a lot of it, and yet - hardly a month goes by that someone doesn't introduce me to something I've never heard, and oftentimes it's a few to many years old, and related to two artists I already like or something.

You make an excellent point. Well put.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post