SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tom Petty. October 20, 1950 - October 2, 2017
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Petty. October 20, 1950 - October 2, 2017 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
First anniversary of his death.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I learned recently that Don Felder taught him how to play guitar.

Apparently they went to high school together.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are in my top 3 bands of all time. Can't believe he died a year ago...way too young.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Wow. I cannot believe it's been a year.

I have been playing his stuff a lot this past year. It had gone on the backburner and it's been nice hearing it again. He made a lot of good music.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad that I got to see them live last spring. I would have regretted missing it.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched his documentary "Runnin Down a Dream" on Netflix and really enjoyed it plus I learned a lot about him

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
RIP Tom-

One of my favorite bands to listen to is the Traveling Wilburys, starring Tom, with some serious musicians. Rattled was one of the important songs played for folks at my wedding back in the spring.

Link to video below of these guys making some music. There used to be a better quality version of this on the net, but this is the best I can find for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1sLjmqLAg

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
RIP Tom-

One of my favorite bands to listen to is the Traveling Wilburys, starring Tom, with some serious musicians. Rattled was one of the important songs played for folks at my wedding back in the spring.

Link to video below of these guys making some music. There used to be a better quality version of this on the net, but this is the best I can find for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1sLjmqLAg

W O W !

Their albums are favs of mine. I remember jumping on them when they first became available. But I never had any idea how these iconic musicians put things together for that first one. That video is simply amazing. Thanks so much for posting it! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post