SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Thinking about a new truck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a new truck Login/Join 
posted
Atleast new to me. My extended cab Silverado is too small for the family so I'm looking around at a cab with full rear seats. I wouldn't mind having a long bed along with that but if it was a bit shorter it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I've taken a liking to diesel cars but I won't be hauling much so I'm not sure if the mileage is still there in trucks.

I'm looking mostly at a Ram 1500 or a Tundra just because Toyota seems to be very reliable.

I have a company car so the truck will sit alot. Not sure if that's a big deal or not. I've heard diesels don't sit well. I've had my current truck for 11 years and it only has 43K on it if that gives you an idea of how little I drive it.

This will mostly be for road trips in the winter, runs to the dump, hunting and anything I do when the wife takes the car.

Any help picking or things to keep in mind are appreciated.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of those two I’d be leaning Tundra, mostly Chev or GMC here though. The current truck is a Crew-Cab 1500, 2017 Sierra, 4x4. Yeah the bed is a bit short, I hook a trailer when needed.

I dropped to a ‘half ton’ a while back. My heaviest trailer is not much over 3k, working fine so far. Mileage varies, average is around 19 with my 5.3 liter v-8.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Extremely happy with my '13 double cab Tundra. Seating for adults in the rear, very comfy in the front (more so than my Corolla) great towing capacity with the 5.7 V8 and reasonable mileage. 17 around town, 20-ish on the highway @ 70+

Fit and finish, overall quality and ride beat the pants off the GMC it replaced.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
This will mostly be for road trips in the winter, runs to the dump, hunting and anything I do when the wife takes the car.

Consider a Suburban instead. If you find one the same bodystyle as your current ride, all of your conversions and accessories will work on your new truck. For me, it is easy to add cameras, projector headlights, bars, etc... instead of extra payments.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulled the trigger on a new Silverado. No regrets yet. Mine is the double cab so not much room in the back. If I had kids I would definitely do the full size cab. I got 23 MPG on the ride home from Houghton (100 miles) passing log trucks with enthusiasm. I think I can beat that after full break-in and summer gas. Mine is V6 and 4X4.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also just picked up a Silverado Double Cab. I looked hard at the Crew Cab but the short box was a no go and the bigger box just did not look right. Enjoy.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 Crew-maxx Tundra. It’s huge inside. It’s a bit dated on the whiz bang stuff, but that’s not what I buy a truck for. I have a lockable bed cover on it and it’s out travel baseball vehicle. I have a car seat that has my soon to be 4 yo in and you can put the seat all the way to the rear and he still has plenty of room.

It’s a road king and cruises very easily @80 mph. My kids 11, and 3 love traveling in it because there is so much room for their stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the info coming and thanks for all the info so far.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've also got a 2015 Tundra Crewmax and love it. Dependable as all get out and tons of room inside.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned 6 F-150s, 4 of them bought new. Every one has been utterly reliable. C&D magazine recently tested Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan, Ram, GMC and Chevy, and Ford.

From bottom to top;
6. Toyota
5. Nissan
4. Ram
3. GMC
2. Chevy
1. Ford

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
2015 Ford F-150 Suoercrew 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I've been extremely happy with the truck. It's been comfortable, reliable and done everything I've asked of it. Seems like a minor feature but it really has been a big deal for me, the totally flat floor under the rear seats. It allows me to do things like store my bow case inside the cab out of visibility.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Just rolled 130k on my 09 Z71 crew cab. It replaced my 2000 Z71 which had 273k miles on it when I sold it for $5300. Wouldn't have any other truck.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’ve owned 6 F-150s, 4 of them bought new. Every one has been utterly reliable. C&D magazine recently tested Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan, Ram, GMC and Chevy, and Ford.

From bottom to top;
6. Toyota
5. Nissan
4. Ram
3. GMC
2. Chevy
1. Ford

This has everything to do with the electronics available, and how carlike it is. If this is the case, why does Toyota have the highest resale and retained value of all of these? I have driven F150s my whole adult life and got tired of them basically having no value after 10 years.

The F150 is a great truck, but in 10 years it will be virtually worthless next to a similar Tundra. I’ve done it twice, trust me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I kept my 2002 Supercrew for 10 years. I was happy with the trade-in value it retained when I traded it in.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have a 2010 Crew Cab Silverado. Back seat has plenty of room. My only regret is I didn't get a larger bed. Truck has held up well.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
2015 Ford F-150 Suoercrew 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I've been extremely happy with the truck. It's been comfortable, reliable and done everything I've asked of it. Seems like a minor feature but it really has been a big deal for me, the totally flat floor under the rear seats. It allows me to do things like store my bow case inside the cab out of visibility.

'16 2wd XLT here with the 2.7
Trouble free at 24k, aside from some recurring sunroof issues.
Averaging around 18-20 mpg over the last 1.5yrs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

From bottom to top;
6. Toyota
5. Nissan
4. Ram
3. GMC
2. Chevy
1. Ford

This has everything to do with the electronics available, and how carlike it is. If this is the case, why does Toyota have the highest resale and retained value of all of these? I have driven F150s my whole adult life and got tired of them basically having no value after 10 years.

The F150 is a great truck, but in 10 years it will be virtually worthless next to a similar Tundra. I’ve done it twice, trust me.

I wish I could find one of these worthless 10 year old trucks... they're all $12-15 grand around here.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Owned a 2013 Tundra and have a 2016 Tundra now. I would not own any other truck unless I needed a diesel. It is a solid reliable truck.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab and love it. The hemi paired with the 8 speed transmission...very smooth, happy with the mileage, and it is all the truck I would ever need.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, but if you move this thread to the lounge I bet more people will see it. I'm in the new truck market also.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post