SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Recording for a virtual choir concert: not easy!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recording for a virtual choir concert: not easy! Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Our San Diego choir has of course been having only Zoom meetings, and since latency is a problem we don't actually sing together.
Now we're individually recording our parts to be synchronized together into a virtual concert.
I've got the technical part down OK: using Garageband to record the audio; can even choose among several tapes and maybe, maybe, insert the right region in a take with a blooper.
Then we're supposed to video the music by lip-synching!
I'm doing my recording in the master bedroom closet; it's pretty funny since my safe is right there along with other firearm paraphernalia like range bags--those won't be seen in the video of course--I can imagine the freak-outs if they were.

My problem is that this is very anxiety-provoking, and anxiety is death on the voice. And listening to your recording with all its imperfections...kind of like trying to shoot an IDPA match when you've only been plinking at the range.

In normal choir singing, one's own imperfections are blended in with the rest of the voices in your section. Here it's bare nekkid.

Guess I'd better get back to it, have to upload the files by midnight tonight. So far not one acceptable take of the three pieces. Yikes!

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
BTDT. Sort of.

Can you wear a monitor while you're recording? Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Might be beneficial. I usually preferred it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well, it's done. In the process learned how to edit audio in GarageBand; did many many takes of the three pieces; did a "lip-synch" video (detaching audio from video in iMovie), and have submitted the whole thing.

It almost didn't happen: the night they were supposed to be due, my recordings sounded like crap and I told the coordinator I was going to scrap them. She encouraged me to try again; I did, and am happy with the results. A lot of work, though.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post