SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek - “Temba. His arms open.”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek - “Temba. His arms open.” Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted

Will always be among my top 3 episodes of that series.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Shaka, when the walls fell."

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I keep meaning to buy this poster.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Who has the pic of Picard on the guitar?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
For those that like a good story, there is the episode "Darmok".

Captain Jean-Luc Picard:

Gilgamesh, a king. Gilgamesh, a king. At Uruk. He tormented his subjects. He made them angry. They cried out aloud, "Send us a companion for our king! Spare us from his madness!" Enkidu, a wild man... from the forest, entered the city. They fought in the temple. They fought in the streets. Gilgamesh defeated Enkidu. They became great friends. Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk.

The... the new friends went out into the desert together, where the Great Bull of Heaven was killing men by the hundreds. Enkidu caught the Bull by the tail. Gilgamesh struck him with his sword.

They were... victorious. But... Enkidu fell to the ground, struck down by the gods. And Gilgamesh... wept bitter tears, saying, "He who was my companion, through adventure and hardship, is gone forever."

It's hard to believe this episode aired in 1991! That's 26 years ago!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The story has been done before but they added a new spin to the idea.

The metamorph episode is a favorite to remember for me.

Then there's also the "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" That Picard was actually seeing 5 lights by then made it powerful.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I hated that episode. They could only communicate by metaphors but they communicated their metaphors with words. How does that make sense? I just wanted to reach through the screen and chock the shit out of Paul Winfield. I truly can not express how much that episode pissed me off.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
At least they communicated their culture and history. We can't do that any more.
"David and Saul's cloak".

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You mean their culture of being douches? The culture that has words, knows what words are and attributes meaning to those words who will only try to communicate with alien cultures by telling stories about people and history that mean absolutely nothing to them instead of coherent sentences with easily understood meanings? Arrogant douche bags.

I think I would rather have seen their first contact attempt with the Klingons.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Paten, when he's pissed off.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post

Thanks sigmonkey. I feel so much better now.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Care to share your other two? I just watched a couple of my favorites last week, including 'Inner Light'. I believe that episode can stand next to movie Oscar winners.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Care to share your other two? I just watched a couple of my favorites last week, including 'Inner Light'. I believe that episode can stand next to movie Oscar winners.

Darmok would be just outside my top five. Inner Light, Lower Decks, Face of the Enemy, Yesterday's Enterprise, and Heart of Glory would be my top five.
Thread drift, still my top episode of all the series would be In the Pale Moonlight (DS9).

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Merrab, with sails unfurled.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thread drift, still my top episode of all the series would be In the Pale Moonlight (DS9).

This. Garak was probably my favorite character from all of Trek.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Joanie Loves Chachi, when their series was cancelled.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Joanie Loves Chachi, when their series was cancelled.
Oh Em Gee!Big Grin

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

Thanks sigmonkey. I feel so much better now.

Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Bendable would probably fit right in with the Tamarians. "Carl and Marlin. At the Shell station." Big Grin

The writer(s) did think outside the box with that one, but there is absolutely no way such a language could be used for routine operation of a starship.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post