SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek - “Temba. His arms open.”
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Star Trek - “Temba. His arms open.” Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post


I think it ironic that that used a story about metaphors, using metaphors to help people understand the difficulty we would encounter in trying to communicate with other beings when we did not have common history, but have common understanding of the visible universe, and the travel to encounter each other as a "starting point" with which to build the ability to communicate in the abstract.

Or, at least how we can have meaningful dialog with bendable, while enjoying cats.

Happy New Year, SIGforum!




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
 
Posts: 38270 | Location: fl | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Great episode. To me, it was the essence of stories Star Trek is (was?) capable of.
 
Posts: 336 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The episode in the OP is on H&I tonight.


___________________________
All it takes...is all you got.
____________________________
For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 9624 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Ran into a failed reference to this episode over the weekend while listening to a discussion on youtube:

(Go to 19:06, or click the link below)




Link to original video: https://youtu.be/0cLLFSdKZLI?t=19m6s
 
Posts: 10554 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus


posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Bendable would probably fit right in with the Tamarians. "Carl and Marlin. At the Shell station." Big Grin

The writer(s) did think outside the box with that one, but there is absolutely no way such a language could be used for routine operation of a starship.


I agree, the people that I have known that prefer speech to math could never compile the knowledge needed for building a starship, much less the Four Laws of EM.


"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
 
Posts: 4622 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
Great episode. To me, it was the essence of stories Star Trek is (was?) capable of.


Me too. One of the best.
 
Posts: 389 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post


-ShneaSIG


Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"
 
Posts: 10568 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:



Looking forward to part II of that, any day now.
 
Posts: 5078 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
WOW!

A Next Generation I've never seen before...and with Q in it!?!

This was fantastic from start to finish!

I Googled the girl, she was Kevin's sister in Wonder Years.

True Q


___________________________
All it takes...is all you got.
____________________________
For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 9624 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:


I think it ironic that that used a story about metaphors, using metaphors to help people understand the difficulty we would encounter in trying to communicate with other beings when we did not have common history, but have common understanding of the visible universe, and the travel to encounter each other as a "starting point" with which to build the ability to communicate in the abstract.

Or, at least how we can have meaningful dialog with bendable, while enjoying cats.

Happy New Year, SIGforum!


You and Paten are both overlooking the fact that the universal translator was providing the English language translation based on an unknown language and syntax. There’s a DS9 episode (early season 2, I think) that deals with that precise anomaly.

Unfortunately, there is no universal translator capable of deciphering bendable.

-Rob




I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
 
Posts: 14864 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I recently got the wife to sit with me to watch TNG. I'm a little concerned about getting to this episode. We're only on season 3 so we've got a way to go.

I stared watching before she did so luckily she missed the first two episodes. Those would have surely put her off and further viewing. There are plenty of other stinkers in the first two seasons that had me worried she'd give up.

Next is one of my favorite episode "Yesterday's Enterprise". Now that's a great episode. This will gauge her enthusiasm in my eyes.
 
Posts: 40705 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I recently got the wife to sit with me to watch TNG. I'm a little concerned about getting to this episode. We're only on season 3 so we've got a way to go.

I stared watching before she did so luckily she missed the first two episodes. Those would have surely put her off and further viewing. There are plenty of other stinkers in the first two seasons that had me worried she'd give up.

Next is one of my favorite episode "Yesterday's Enterprise". Now that's a great episode. This will gauge her enthusiasm in my eyes.


Yeah, that is my all-time favorite TNG episode.

If anybody is just starting out watching TNG, I would skip straight to the middle of season 3. The first two are just painful.

It took a long time (and the death of Roddenberry, IMO) for TNG to really hit it's stride and become good on a consistent basis.



No arsenal is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
Ronald Reagan
 
Posts: 20200 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Episode alert -

Chain of Command is on tonight (Sunday) at 8pm Central on the H&I Channel.

Picard is kidnapped and brutally tortured by the Cardassians. Probably one of the most powerful episodes of this series ever.



___________________________
All it takes...is all you got.
____________________________
For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 9624 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek - “Temba. His arms open.”

© SIGforum 2018