SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I just re-watched Rogue One tonight on Netflix. I'm surprised that I didn't notice the actor Ben Mendelsohn also played Danny in Bloodline. I knew he looked familiar but couldn't place him.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Agree. Loved Rogue One, especially that bad-ass ending.

Force Awakens was a steaming pile of regurgitated, recycled SHIT! Mad

Um... if I may...

How would you go about bringing a couple generations of people into the Star Wars fold? Especially if they grew up on Episodes 1, 2, and 3?

I'm not defending the movie, other than to point out that my 9yo thought it was super-duper awesome and way better than Episodes 1, 2, and 3.

*shrug*

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Force Awakens was absolutely episode IV redux. That being said that is absolutely what the great majority of the fan base wanted. We wanted STAR WARS again after the kick in the taint that was the prequel trilogy. Force Awakens was that, it's gonna be alright we understand movie. Rogue One was the we can do new things and knock them out of the park as well.

TFA was pandering as an art form but like comfort food after breaking up with the love of your life sometimes you just want to be pandered to.

I loved Force Awakens and frankly I loved it because it unabashedly pandered to my 6 year old self and gave me a big old bowl of Star Wars again, and after the abusive relationship that the prequels were a hug and it's gonna be ok was fine with me.

Honestly my only real complaint was that Kyle Ren was a bit too much emo whiny bitch. Yeah it was the same as episode IV but it was still fun.

I thought Rogue One was awesome. Best Star Wars since Empire and maybe better.

All that being said remember these are Star Wars movies. They ain't high art. Take them at face value.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Honestly my only real complaint was that Kyle Ren was a bit too much emo whiny bitch. Yeah it was the same as episode IV but it was still fun.

I think Kylo Ren is everything that Anakin Skywalker should have been. He is supposed to be a young kid that is struggling between good and evil, and ultimately snapping and going towards the evil side. I think you'll see him be a lot more dark in the next film.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ryan81986,

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The Force Awakens was absolutely episode IV redux. That being said that is absolutely what the great majority of the fan base wanted. We wanted STAR WARS again after the kick in the taint that was the prequel trilogy. Force Awakens was that, it's gonna be alright we understand movie. Rogue One was the we can do new things and knock them out of the park as well.

TFA was pandering as an art form but like comfort food after breaking up with the love of your life sometimes you just want to be pandered to.

I loved Force Awakens and frankly I loved it because it unabashedly pandered to my 6 year old self and gave me a big old bowl of Star Wars again, and after the abusive relationship that the prequels were a hug and it's gonna be ok was fine with me.

I thought Rogue One was awesome. Best Star Wars since Empire and maybe better.

All that being said remember these are Star Wars movies. They ain't high art. Take them at face value.

I feel the exact same way.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I want to know why computer data has to be physically removed from the storage device in the future. And why is the storage device a tower in an open shaft 1000 feet tall?

The data was archived in offline storage. Makes a certain amount of sense to do, when you have huge sets of data you're not directly working on at the moment, and as a plus it's more secure.

When I saw them go to get the data, I blurted out 'it's a tape library!' and started laughing. It's an IT thing.

As to putting it at the top of a tower over an open shaft..... Physical access restriction. Couldn't lock it in a basement, cause of the water table. Big Grin

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
don't forget, star wars happened "a long time ago in a galaxay far, far away."

it is not set in the future.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
don't forget, star wars happened "a long time ago in a galaxay far, far away."

it is not set in the future.

Yeah, it's technically the past, but from our perspective, ALL their tech is pretty much futuristic.

It's also worth remembering that these are alien species we are talking about. They may be 'human,' but they are not 'Earthlings.' Every Earth culture has different values and cultural norms; some get along fine, some do not (in WWII, for example, we understood the German mentality a LOT more than the Japanese one). It's foolish to think that every alien race would be identical to our American (at least Western) culture. They make the characters very similar to us so we can empathize with and relate to them (which is why the main characters will almost always be human; Chewie is one of the few exceptions in that he's completely alien yet a beloved character the fans love), but they are still 'not us.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I watched Rogue One for what is actually the third time. (Once in the theater, twice on Netflix).
What can I say. It is a nerdgasm. The second time I watched it recently was to watch things going on in the background. Probe Droids, ugnaughts, pig face and his brother Scott. There were so many little things from the original movies that was pretty awesome. Most was tucked in the background.

Oh, and Star Destroyers. Lots of Star Destroyers. I always thought them to be the mark of badassery.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I finally saw this on Netflix. It's okay. Yeah, it's better than The Force Asleepens. Rogue felt just like what it was designed for - something to make money and tide people over between the real movies. I'm also really tired of films utilizing the handheld camera look and the non-stop fast-cut editing. It cheapens the look of the whole film.

All these Disney Star Wars movies make me appreciate Lucas's prequels more. I like his vision and sense of epic-ness, if not the total execution of his films. Unlike most people, I don't want to be served the same stuff over and over. I think I can safely bail from this series now. I did see the 1977 Star Wars 20 times in the theater, but these new ones are not my cup of tea. I am too old and withered and curmudgeonly now. You young kids can keep enjoying them though.

That is, unless a really good space battle pops up. I've been itching for an awesome space battle. But, not one of these modern ones that lasts for 3 seconds before they cut away to the other characters on land. I want one like in the original where you feel like you're in the cockpit, and you can hear everyone barking orders and technical jargon at each other instead of just "Form up! Let's get them!" Lucas patterned that original Death Star battle on old WWII fighter plane movie scenes. Haven't these new directors watched a fighter plane movie?

Of course, nowadays, even fighter plane movies look more like Star Wars than a war movie.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I thought the space battle in Rogue One was better than any seen in the prequels. In fact, aside from the space battle in Return of the Jedi, there weren't any that were really spectacular in the original trilogy.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
In fact, aside from the space battle in Return of the Jedi, there weren't any that were really spectacular in the original trilogy.

I loved the original 1977 one. I had never seen a space battle depicted like a WWII dogfight before that. I had only seen giant starships firing lasers at each other like battleships before Star Wars. And yeah, Jedi's space battle was freakin' insane.

My dad was a mechanic on Navy attack jets, so I've always been a sucker for a good dogfight scene. But what I'm looking for is more Midway (1976) in tone and less Independence Day.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
A New Hope didn't have dogfighting scenes. It was more like divebombers attacking a ship and taking heavy casualties.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
A New Hope didn't have dogfighting scenes. It was more like divebombers attacking a ship and taking heavy casualties.

Unless you count the TIE Fighters that attacked the Falcon.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Oh, totally forgot about that scene. Meh. That is boring compared with the battle above Scarif. So my original statement about there being nothing outside of Return of the Jedi being spectacular stands.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
"Blind man with a stick! My only weakness!"

https://youtu.be/T5jK4XnaAQQ

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Here is the missing soundtrack.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43866 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post