SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
took the kids this afternoon - not a bad flick but honestly I should have waited for netflix. I don't feel it was worth seeing in the theater. Fight scenes were well orchestrated but the movie missed on many fronts. I absolutely adore the star wars score we all know and was incredibly disappointed in the music choices for this film. The climaxes were ruined by the lack of build-up in the background music. I think of TFA and when Rey force pulls the light saber the music hits just right and I got goose bumps. None of that in this film. It was a fleshed out story but did drag at several points. If you haven't seen it I would wait a couple months for a rental. I spent $50 today by the time we got tickets and popcorn. Don't feel it was worth it. Now, when guardians 2 comes out...

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Donnie Yen. Ip Man! I thought he was awesome in this movie.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
it was much better than TFA. Keep JJ Abrams away from the scripts from now on.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
it was much better than TFA. Keep JJ Abrams away from the scripts from now on.

The Force Awakens was a steaming pile of shit that should have never been made. If you think about it, it basically betrays Ep I-VI and makes everything they fought for meaningless as apparently the Rebellion failed and there was no "happy ever after" as shown at the end of Return Of The Jedi.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
IMO best Star Wars movie. Ever.

quote:
I heard they toned down the scene because it was orignally too dark. I wish we could've seen that,

Director's cut in 3, 2, 1....

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Some notes and nitpicks:

- Speaking of Leia, you're trying to escape a rampaging Vader, your crew is getting annihilated, your ship is practically an escape craft itself held within the Rebel flagship which has been captured and boarded by a star destroyer and you're dressed in your New Hope robes?

The opening scene of A New Hope is literally right after the final scene in Rogue One. They run the blockade, blow off to Tatooine, and get captured after dumping C3PO and R2-D2 in a pod. Which changes the tone of Ep.IV a bit, knowing the Rebels dumped an entire fleet into getting the plans for the Death Star and risked the entire Rebel Alliance in doing so makes the quest a lot deeper than the original explanation we got "a lot of people died to get this information" meaning the few X-Wings and junk we see in Ep.IV is all they have left after an almost pyrrhic victory at Scarif.

The dialog when Vader interrogates Leia doesn't quite hold up, I think it's less of a direct chase than Rogue One implies, but it sure feels like there's not much time passed, a few days at most.

The only thing I didn't follow was Sen. Organa leaving the base on Yavin saying he was going to send Leia for Obiwan - why'd she end up at the assault on Scarif and not go directly to Tatooine? I'd have to hear the dialog again, but wasn't the plan for him to go home and send Leia straight to summon his old pal Ben? We see R2 and C3PO on Yavin mentioning they're heading to Scarif, so when do they get wiped? C3PO should have a lot more info on what's going on when they meet Luke.

My complaint, if anything, small nitpicks aside, is that the continuity between all 8 movies is getting a little ragged as they work on different parts of the timeline - 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 3.5 - They're definitely trying to keep it all straight. But every new movie that comes out, regardless of the place in time, has sleeker ships and more cool stuff than anything before it. The transport ships, walkers, and shuttles in Rogue One were new designs, a completely new class of really cool droids, beach troopers, the white uniforms, etc. It just feels like they're starting to introduce more plot holes. So now I need to watch all 8 movies in timeline order.

Ep.VII gets a bit of a pass as it's the future. But the prequels looked like they had cooler tech than the original series, and I'll bet there's even more newer, cooler stuff in the upcoming Han Solo movie in 2018 that is set somewhere between Ep.III and Rogue One (I assume).

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently they've been constantly showing the original SW 4-5-6 etc. passing through the channels when the big fight was on during SW ANH and one of the squadrons call signs was Rogue 2. Has anyone caught this? Was that original or recently changed?

In regards to r2d2 & c3po, I think Sentor Organa was having Leia go to the battle with the admiral so when they got the plans she could then go and grab Obi-wan on her way back to the rebel base. The droids at that time belonged to CAPT Antilles who was a crew member on leia's ship.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm not a die-hard-know-every-tidbit fan of Star Wars, so maybe it's obvious to everyone but me, but there's a snippet of dialog about Jedis, and one in particular. "I'd trust my life to her," was the comment (or close to it). Who is the female Jedi being referenced?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Who is the female Jedi being referenced?

Princess Leia

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The "trust my life to her" is in response to the messenger he will send to the Jedi (obi-wan kenobi). The messenger, of course, as mentioned is Leia

I understand the why and how of 3po and r2 being with Capt Antilles. I just think the timeline is very askew on how they get from the hangar on yavin 4 onto Tantive IV in the belly of the rebel command ship

quote:
I'm not a die-hard-know-every-tidbit fan of Star Wars, so maybe it's obvious to everyone but me, but there's a snippet of dialog about Jedis, and one in particular. "I'd trust my life to her," was the comment (or close to it). Who is the female Jedi being referenced?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The "trust my life to her" is in response to the messenger he will send to the Jedi (obi-wan kenobi). The messenger, of course, as mentioned is Leia

quote:

I guess I need to see it again (a likely prospect, as I've suggested taking my grandkids). I remember hearing the conversation and thinking to myself, "A female Jedi? Is this a tie-in to a future, not-yet produced episode? I don't remember any female Jedis."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't remember any female Jedis."

I had to think about this for a minute. I am not sure they referred to a female Jedi. Mon Mothma and Bail Organa were referring to both Obi Wan and Leia. Obi Wan being the Jedi, and Leia being the one Bail would trust with his life. I don't think they explicitly referred to a female Jedi.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
Recently they've been constantly showing the original SW 4-5-6 etc. passing through the channels when the big fight was on during SW ANH and one of the squadrons call signs was Rogue 2. Has anyone caught this? Was that original or recently changed?

Rogue 2 was from Empire. It's the call sign of the snow speeder pilot searching for Luke and Han on Hoth.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yes, in between ANH and ESB a new squadron, Rogue Squadron, is formed from the remnants of red, gold and other squadrons from Yavin. They become sort of an elite strike force with Luke Skywalker as their leader

When Luke leaves to go train to be a Jedi, Wedge Antilles succeeds him as the leader of rogue squadron

Luke is still the leader during the battle of Hoth

Now, that was all expanded universe stuff that is supposedly no longer canon

But since the movies (and thus rogue squadron) are still considered canon they must keep something in there

I would imagine Luke names the squadron in honor of the original rogues that died to get the Death Star plans

That is just speculation on my part, but I think it makes sense

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:
took the kids this afternoon - not a bad flick but honestly I should have waited for netflix. I don't feel it was worth seeing in the theater. Fight scenes were well orchestrated but the movie missed on many fronts. I absolutely adore the star wars score we all know and was incredibly disappointed in the music choices for this film. The climaxes were ruined by the lack of build-up in the background music. I think of TFA and when Rey force pulls the light saber the music hits just right and I got goose bumps. None of that in this film. It was a fleshed out story but did drag at several points. If you haven't seen it I would wait a couple months for a rental. I spent $50 today by the time we got tickets and popcorn. Don't feel it was worth it. Now, when guardians 2 comes out...

This is exactly how I feel. It was OK but no need to see it on the big screen, and the music just wasn't up to par for a Star Wars movie. Up until the last 10 minutes I would have given it a 3/5, but the end was pretty entertaining so I would bump it up to a 3.5/5. It's worth watching, but I definitely got a little bored at times and the story line just didn't flow well. I feel like at the end the viewer should have been really upset about Jyn dying but it was kind of a "meh" moment. There was no connection between her character and the viewer IMO. They tried but I just wasn't feeling it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow. It was complete crap to me. I never thought I'd walk out a Star Wars and say, I want my money back. It was that bad. The whole backstory with her and her father? Not needed. Ip man? Best part. Everything else was really bland and meandering. Music was a weak point as some have pointed out, but the story its self was bad. Rushed even.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Wow. Just wow. It was complete crap to me. I never thought I'd walk out a Star Wars and say, I want my money back. It was that bad. The whole backstory with her and her father? Not needed. Ip man? Best part. Everything else was really bland and meandering. Music was a weak point as some have pointed out, but the story its self was bad. Rushed even.

If you were willing, give us a basic idea of your age range? Only asking because in my very very informal poll, I am finding that people of my generation (mid 40s) are enjoying this film much more than the younger generation. My non-scientific guess for this, is because the 1977 film holds such a place in our hearts, and this film tied everything together.

Now, if you tell me you're 48 years old then I guess the theory is all shot to shit. But that seems to be the general consensus as I talk to people about this particular movie.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I can give the music a pass since Michael Giacchino had 4 weeks to core the film right after he finished Doctor Strange. Thank the Disney reshoots for the original composer becoming unavailable.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:

This is exactly how I feel. It was OK but no need to see it on the big screen, and the music just wasn't up to par for a Star Wars movie. Up until the last 10 minutes I would have given it a 3/5, but the end was pretty entertaining so I would bump it up to a 3.5/5. It's worth watching, but I definitely got a little bored at times and the story line just didn't flow well. I feel like at the end the viewer should have been really upset about Jyn dying but it was kind of a "meh" moment. There was no connection between her character and the viewer IMO. They tried but I just wasn't feeling it.

Same. I'd give it a C. TFA B- or B.

I'd like to see Rogue before they recut and reshot it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Rogue was the movie I've been waiting 33 years for. I thought it was awesome. Vader's a badass, not a whiny bitch. The link to ANH was perfect.

EPS 1-3 you could re-edit to about an hour, 3.5-6, then skip whatever 7 was supposed to be. JJ Abrams was as bad as Lucas was to the prequels.

JJ fundamentally changed the 3 main characters in the original trilogy:

Han and Leia don't split up.

Han and Leia wouldn't name their kid Ben (Luke and Mara do, as Luke was much closer to Obi-wan.)

Luke doesn't run off and hide for 30 years.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post