SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
SPOILERS..........

I really liked this movie a lot. Didn't like the CGI Leia at all, could have just shown her from the back. Didn't mind Tarkin, but they used it a little too much. And Vader was too short. (Not his screen time.... literally too short. Dude is supposed to be like super tall.)

That's the sum of my complaints. Awesome addition to the SW universe. Vader kicking ass is always enjoyable to watch

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lord Vaalic,

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I'm actually glad they used the cgi instead of casting a new tarkin. I would have spent the entire movie thinking "dude ain't Peter Cushing"

And as I told my kids...they all had to die.

I would have liked to have seen more of red squadron

I totally geeked out when they took off the first time from Yavin 4 and you could clearly see Red 2 (Wedge Antilles) on the tarmac

When they killed the old red 5 to explain why Luke became red 5 that was cool...would have liked to see more of Garven Dreis (red leader), Dutch Vander (gold leader) Porkins, etc..and, of course, wedge. Although apparently Denis Lawson was asked to reprise the role of wedge in the force awakens and refused, so maybe the snub in rogue one was related to that

If you keep the continuity of deleted scenes from episode 4, Biggs was on tatooine when this story was happening.

I need to see it again

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Using the same clip from ANH of red leader was pretty cool

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'm watching it again tomorrow.
I couldn't stop thinking about the film all day today.

I liked that there were absolutely no cute characters made for the film...no Ewoks, no Gungans, no droid army with their "Roger roger".

I loved the slow build. The immediacy of their actions at the end.

I had a total boner for Lord Vader going all Sword of Doom on the corridor of hapless rebels. That was insanely good. I heard they toned down the scene because it was orignally too dark. I wish we could've seen that, but what was shown was pretty great as is.

I personally liked the Tarkin/Leia CGI. It would've been too easy to just show her from behind, or to find a Peter Cushing look-a-like.

I also liked the darker, less rubbery Mon Calamari.

The only thing I didn't like...
The film's score sounded like a pale imitation of John Williams previous work. It was akin to watching a commercial where the music was supposed to sound like a popular song but was changed just enough to avoid paying royalties.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Saw it today. It was really, really good. I didn't mind the CGI at all.

Vader's get up was definitely off. I'd expect some differences, but it looked a little cheap. If that's the worst I can come up with, then that's beats the last 4 movies that came out.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If my sons basketball coach will stop talking and let the team go, I'm going to go see it again tonight

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back from viewing number two

The only glaring plot hole that is really bothering me

When the rebel fleet takes off for scariff you see R2 and 3PO in the hangar on Yavin 4

How, then, do they get on Tantive IV with Princess Leia which is in the rebel command ship at Scariff?

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
Some notes and nitpicks:

- There was a lot of easter eggs and none of them seemed forced, the subtle interaction with Dr Dr Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba in Jedha got a good laugh. Here's a list of most of them.

- CGI wasn't as bad as I thought and the facial effects were pretty good. Grand Moff Tarkin I thought was a actor with heavy make-up...nope, they did a pretty incredible job of putting actor Peter Cushing's face onto a body and taking on a central role. I also thought Leia was a actor in heavy make-up, wasn't as convincing as Tarkin but, not bad.

- Speaking of Leia, you're trying to escape a rampaging Vader, your crew is getting annihilated, your ship is practically an escape craft itself held within the Rebel flagship which has been captured and boarded by a star destroyer and you're dressed in your New Hope robes?

- The Rogue One team that landed on Scarif barely had any weapons beyond their personal ones. If you're on a one-way mission, a suicide mission, nobody thought bringing any heavy weapons or, crew-served weapons would be a good idea?

- Music was ok, some people are in love with the score but, nothing stood out. The Saga movies, there was always a tune that would stick in your head but, this one, not so much. I don't so much miss John Williams work but, music wasn't as pivotal to this story as the others. When Vader or, Tarkin are on screen, usually there's some heavy music which emphasizes their presence, not so much here. Perhaps a second viewing will help...

- R-2SO stole the show, well he wasn't an absolute focus but, the endearing droid continues a theme of Star Wars movies.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Rogue One team that landed on Scarif barely had any weapons beyond their personal ones. If you're on a one-way mission, a suicide mission, nobody thought bringing any heavy weapons or, crew-served weapons would be a good idea?

Unauthorized mission with very little planning. The strike team was just there to create diversions so the two could sneak into the tower and retrieve the data. So fast and light for the diversionary strike team; think Rangers, Force Recon so the two Delta/CIA super spooks can sneak in.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Vader was too short? Huh? The actor playing him in the suit is like 6 foot 9 inches!

I'm not a fan of the tweaks made to Darth Vader's suit; the neck is all wrong and his eye bubbles are kind of reddish and opaque looking now.

It kind of saddened me that they all died in the end, I would have thought they'd save one or two of them. I loved that they brought Peter Cushing back from the dead but agree that less would have been more and the Leia cameo was a little off when she spoke like that, she looked way more CGI than Tarkin did.

This movie was FULL of references and Easter eggs to IV, V, and VI! I caught maybe 10, but there was probably a hundred or more of them.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what kind of suit that Jyn was wearing that was taken from the Imperial soldier? It almost looked like she was wearing two katanas on her back?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vader's suit is intentionally that way...if you go back and watch a new hope You will see you can see through the eye bubbles almost in a similar way...the suit was refined from a New Hope to Empire. The suit in Rogue One matches more closely to a new hope intentionally

The outfit Jyn is wearing at the end is that of an imperial landing pad controller. The sticks on her back are literally the landing sticks used to direct aircraft

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
They weren't even that...rangers, delta, etc

Cassian said it before they left....they were assassins, saboteurs, spies..

What do those things have in common a lot?

They generally operate close to alone and covertly...much the way Cassian did for the majority of the movie

This wasn't the Rebel equivalent of Delta

These were a bunch of CIA operatives deciding to try their hand at being delta

Their planning, tactics and equipment reflected that

quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
The Rogue One team that landed on Scarif barely had any weapons beyond their personal ones. If you're on a one-way mission, a suicide mission, nobody thought bringing any heavy weapons or, crew-served weapons would be a good idea?

Unauthorized mission with very little planning. The strike team was just there to create diversions so the two could sneak into the tower and retrieve the data. So fast and light for the diversionary strike team; think Rangers, Force Recon so the two Delta/CIA super spooks can sneak in.

——————————————————

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Just got back, gotta say I didn't like the CGI Tarkin very much. And the Leia CGI looked older than Carrie Fisher did in Star Wars.

Other than that, I really liked it, and it now ranks up there with Empire as my 2 favorite series films.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thinking about specific scenes...the ending.

Damn cool to see Darth Vader being the over-the-top super-bad-ass we were all told he was.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be stupid, but I had no idea it was CGI.

I was thinking the whole time that they really did a great job of finding someone who looks like Tarkin. And then I saw Leia, and I thought "whoa, how did they do that". I asked my brother after and he said CGI, I was shocked. I usually hate CGI, it bothers me (I even hate my wife's snapchat).

I liked it a lot. I think i'd watch it for the pure enjoyment of it. Much the way I watch episode IV. Empire is great, but has to be taken in context to IV and VI. Same with Force Awakens, I liked it, but it's part of the tale. A new hope can be watched as a movie unto itself (before Lucas knew he could do more). I think I could watch Rogue in the same way (not that it doesn't have context), I could take it as singular tale and really enjoy it.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw it. Overall, liked it a lot, but it was not fantastic. Loved parts of it, almost all of those came in the last 4th quarter on the raid on Scarif.

What I did not like in general: too many plotlines and characters who distracted and did not add to story.

Way too much backstory on Galen Erso. It needed to be in but could have been stripped out by half. Jin's character could have just been written in as the daughter of Galen who was "dumped" to save her, as she was later by Saw character (black android) and his faction was a waste of time. Scrap it entirely.

Scrap the raid on Edeu ("e-doo") to save/assassinate Galen.

Tarkin was great but a little too much. Darth Vader's appearance should have only been at the finale and had very few lines (the earlier interaction with Kranneck was too early and diminished the badd-assed appearance).

I like the in-fighting between Kranneck and Tarkin. That was well-done.

What I loved was the ANH rebel fighter leader cameos and DV being a killing machine.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I liked Rogue better than The Force Awakens.

One of the things I hated about TFA was that it was emotionally based rubbish. The only thing I think it had going for it was that it pulled on the heartstrings of those who are nostalgic toward the original movies. Harrison Ford phoned in his performance, the plot was borrowed from A New Hope, and it seemed to be a marketing tool for all of the crap that Disney advertised in the commercials.

Rogue had some of the same nostalgic pulls. The reappearance of characters of old. Some of the same lingo of old from the Death Star crew. However, it was actually pretty good as a stand alone movie. I liked it.

I can sleep easy at night as now I know how Darth Vader takes a bath. Big Grin

Another thing I took away was the commercials before the movie was the lack of originality. (Yeah, I am the guy that can't wait for John Wick II to come out) Every movie was a sequel, prequel, Marvel Universe, spinoff, etc. Or an advertisement for Disney "Star Wars" cruise lines, theme parks, feminine hygiene products, etc.

All and all, I'd watch Rogue again.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Heading out now to see it a 2nd time. Really looking forward to just enjoying the story this time around, instead of trying to figure things out as they go.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ