SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Amazon Has Released a Trailer for Tom Clancy's Without Remorse...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Has Released a Trailer for Tom Clancy's Without Remorse... Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So... they changed all the characters and the plot line doesn't even vaguely resemble that of the book?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I could’ve gotten by a number of troubling aspects of this offering. Navy SEAL, Karen Greer, is a bridge too far.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I'd rather see true to the book movie's made from AJ Tata's series. With his background the story line is scary close to reality.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
So... they changed all the characters and the plot line doesn't even vaguely resemble that of the book?

Might actually be easier to watch that way. Won't take anything away from the book, since it only shares a title. I want to see how he gets out of the burning car! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Reading the replies in this thread reminds me of how I felt after seeing Ender's Game and Ready Player One.

Haven't read RPO, but enjoy the movie
But, a huge +1 for Ender's Game. So disappointed with that one.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Ready Player One had very little resembling the events that occured in the book. I tried watching the movie again a couple months ago and quit about 40 minutes into it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Hollywood will never do Rainbow Six, or at least not as written, because Hollywood almost assuredly sympathizes with the terrorists in that book and not the hero’s.

If Hollywood did a version of Rainbow Six it would be a Republican president ordering the illegal murder of peace loving environmental activists who are going to expose some terrible treasonous thing he did.

The hero would be Jaquista Ryan, a black trans woman, who together with black John Clark and his Latina non-binary husband DC, will lead a group of hackers to take the mean President down.[/QUOTE]

Please, Don't give them any ideas...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Hollywood: Hey people love this book. let's buy the rights and just bastardize the whole tbing, I mean total gut job so it doesn't even resemble the source material. Sound good?

Lets do it!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I still have the book, don't need a bastardized movie by the Chinese Communist Club Distribution Network

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I guess what gets me is that it is a great story that would not be hard to tell.

• Loses Wife
  • Isolates on Island
  • finds girl
  • girl teaches him it is ok to live again
  • meets friend, helps girl get help too
  • bad guys kill girl
  • lots of bad people die, with govt work thrown in.

This is not hard.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about owning the book is that Amazon can’t edit it.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^ this

My library will always consist of real books.

The new fascists have already put in place a mechanism to burn the digital books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Well, after reading this thread I was reluctant to even watch the trailer. I did though, and y'all are right. It's just more Hollywood crap. Netflix and Prime are full of "They killed my family and I'm out for revenge" entries. How many of those can you really watch, anyway? I'll pass on this one. I just finished my periodic re-reading of RSR, maybe next I'll go back and re-read Without Remorse. Yeah, that's the ticket. Screw the movie, read the book.

“Taken” started it all man. You are right, how many of the fuckin’ things are they going to make now? Just sub out the guy with a sheriff, a cop, a Seal, ex-mil guy, whatever. I mean damn Vin Diesel even did a version of this bs back in the day where he is some drug cop and they kill his wife. Here I found it:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0...?ref_=nm_flmg_act_42

All they have to do is sub the lead character and the “bad guys”. Same old shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Well, after reading this thread I was reluctant to even watch the trailer. I did though, and y'all are right. It's just more Hollywood crap. Netflix and Prime are full of "They killed my family and I'm out for revenge" entries. How many of those can you really watch, anyway? I'll pass on this one. I just finished my periodic re-reading of RSR, maybe next I'll go back and re-read Without Remorse. Yeah, that's the ticket. Screw the movie, read the book.

“Taken” started it all man. You are right, how many of the fuckin’ things are they going to make now? Just sub out the guy with a sheriff, a cop, a Seal, ex-mil guy, whatever. I mean damn Vin Diesel even did a version of this bs back in the day where he is some drug cop and they kill his wife. Here I found it:

All they have to do is sub the lead character and the “bad guys”. Same old shit.

I believe The Punisher preceded Taken by a good 4 years

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
^^^ this

My library will always consist of real books.

The new fascists have already put in place a mechanism to burn the digital books.

Books I like and want to own, I have two copies. One on my smart phone, either kindle or PDF format books, and one hard copy at home on the bookshelf.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, now I'm honestly a little depressed. I really liked the book and have read it several times. I am reminded of what they did with Bob Lee Swagger. Fucked that up too. This PC shit is getting old.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
quote:

wasn't one of Seagal's early movies basically the same?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There have been 1000 of these at least. Very old and cliche concept.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard pass. I could live with the need to bring the setting closer to the present, but that's just boring.

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
“Taken” started it all man. You are right, how many of the fuckin’ things are they going to make now? Just sub out the guy with a sheriff, a cop, a Seal, ex-mil guy, whatever. I mean damn Vin Diesel even did a version of this bs back in the day where he is some drug cop and they kill his wife.

wasn't one of Seagal's early movies basically the same?

Isn't everyone's favorite movie, Commando, similar to this trope?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post