SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best Band From Every State (Does the article have it right?)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Band From Every State (Does the article have it right?) Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Texas - Destiny's Child - WTF?

No shit. Beyonce is huge, and you can't deny that, but Destiny's Child was nothing. And there are so many other choices.

ZZ Top

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys

And so many individual musicians: Vaughan, Holly, Lovett, dozens of them.

Washington's isn't Nirvana?

Ridiculous.

But it is just click bait, so what do you expect.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:
hard to argue with " Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from Florida.

Any list that doesn't have Lynyrd Skynyrd, is a fail - I'll take Free Bird over Free Falling any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Most of this list is WTF.

I loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, but Tom Petty is a better songwriter and performer any day of the week. Skynryd was a load of fun, to be sure, but not in the same class as Petty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
The list of bands from Jacksonville, FL would arguably make it the city that created the best bands:
38 Special
Allman Brothers
Blackfoot
Limp Bizkit
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Molly Hatchet
Yellowcard

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Tennessee: "Big Star"

Never heard of them.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
How's this for a TX band that made a large industrial and cultural impact - Buddy *fucking* Holly and the Crickets. I'll concede Holly's two bandmates who rounded out The Crickets are largely forgotten, but nonetheless, they were a band.

Wasn't Waylon Jennings the bassist for Buddy Holly?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, but Tom Petty is a better songwriter and performer any day of the week. Skynryd was a load of fun, to be sure, but not in the same class as Petty.

Yet Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird will forever be bigger hits loved by more folks around the world than anything Petty ever did, and I like Tom Petty and concede he did write more good songs overall. Skynryd was a whopper of a 3-4 Hit Wonder.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:

Never heard of them.

Yeah, I kinda figured.

Big Star is right up there with The Beatles, The Who, and The Stones as my favorite rock band of all time, in my top 5 easily. But they only sold maybe 100,000 records total. Like The Velvet Underground, they sold very few records, but launched and influenced a ton of bands. Alex Chilton, native son of Memphis, and ex Box Tops singer, was the leader of the band; an extremely talented guy, but a curmudgeon as far as dealing with the recording industry.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
They got Fl right IMO

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve lived in Montana for over 40 years and never heard of Silkwood. Guess I’ve been sheltered.

But, opinions are like ...... well you know.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Virginia: The Neptunes!!!! Yeah, Baby.

The Dave Matthews Band and Bruce Hornsby and the Range suck, I guess.

Roll Eyes

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Earth, Wind and Fire for Illinois!? Not by a long shot.

First and foremost, it should be someone from the Blues. Chicago can claim: Koko Taylor, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Willie Dixon, and Howlin' Wolf. And that's just those I can name offhand.

I would even name Chicago in front of Earth, Wind and Fire.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The article parameters were for bands only, not singers, individual artists.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Missouri, I would have to go with 'Momma's Pride'

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the Almond Brothers Band would represent Florida instead of Georgia. Either way, it's a strange list.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yeah. A lot of crap bands on that list.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I'm thinking the Almond Brothers Band would represent Florida instead of Georgia. Either way, it's a strange list.

I LOL'd. I think I'll start a band called the Almond Brothers. Smile

I'll call the first album Almond Joy.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Two guys over at Thrillist have complied a list of the best band from every state. Did choose the correct band as your state's best?

Here are their guidelines:
The band must have been formed in or primarily based in the state in question. Lots of groups move to Los Angeles or Nashville or New York City after scoring a record deal, but they're not from those cities.

Only groups, not individual artists, are considered. This admittedly skews the list away from hip-hop and country, but it also skews toward not driving us totally insane trying to wade through every musician from every state.

We limited ourselves to bands who rose to prominence after World War II.

These are not simply our favorite bands from every state; we considered a secret recipe of historical significance, influence, popularity, and the nebulous "quality" factor.

A few of their choices:

Georgia - OutKast (over R.E.M. and the B-52s, to name a couple)

South Carolina - Marshall Tucker Band (over Hootie and the Blowfish)

Illinois - Earth, Wind and Fire (over Cheap Trick and Ministry)

Massachusetts - Pixies (over The Cars, Boston, and Aerosmith)

I've been a huge REM fan since high school - I would agree that they got Georgia wrong. The Pixies changed the world of music I would have to say that they got that one right.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:

Never heard of them.

Ever watch That 70's Show? Hate to even mention that show in regard to Big Star, but Big Star was the shit.

https://youtu.be/pte3Jg-2Ax4

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:

I LOL'd. I think I'll start a band called the Almond Brothers. Smile

I'll call the first album Almond Joy.

Lol...I wish I could blame it on autocorrect. The band was actually called the Allman Joys at one point.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post