SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best Band From Every State (Does the article have it right?)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Band From Every State (Does the article have it right?) Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted
Two guys over at Thrillist have complied a list of the best band from every state. Did choose the correct band as your state's best?

Here are their guidelines:
The band must have been formed in or primarily based in the state in question. Lots of groups move to Los Angeles or Nashville or New York City after scoring a record deal, but they're not from those cities.

Only groups, not individual artists, are considered. This admittedly skews the list away from hip-hop and country, but it also skews toward not driving us totally insane trying to wade through every musician from every state.

We limited ourselves to bands who rose to prominence after World War II.

These are not simply our favorite bands from every state; we considered a secret recipe of historical significance, influence, popularity, and the nebulous "quality" factor.

A few of their choices:

Georgia - OutKast (over R.E.M. and the B-52s, to name a couple)

South Carolina - Marshall Tucker Band (over Hootie and the Blowfish)

Illinois - Earth, Wind and Fire (over Cheap Trick and Ministry)

Massachusetts - Pixies (over The Cars, Boston, and Aerosmith)

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My favorite band from Illinois is Loudmouth, but it's hard to compete with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Texas - Destiny's Child - WTF?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the legendary Destinys Child is THE band everyone thinks of when Texas comes to mind.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3525 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Kinda says it all right there, doesn't it

Next

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The pick for Arkansas is some obscure doom metal band?

Okay... Roll Eyes

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:

SRV and Double Trouble, ZZ Top,Pantera? "McFly, McFly"!

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:

If you take a deep breath and try to compare the actual success any of those bands had to the perceived success that Beyonce has then Destiny's Child wins. Unfortunately.

(I've never even heard of Double Trouble.)

I just ran down the complete list. WTF is with Washington state? They name all the great grunge bands that started the genre, but bypass them in favor of some grunge band that squeeked along on the fringes?!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
quote:

If you take a deep breath and try to compare the actual success any of those bands had to the perceived success that Beyonce has then Destiny's Child wins. Unfortunately.

(I've never even heard of Double Trouble .)

https://www.last.fm/music/Stev...n+and+Double+Trouble

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Oh, got it. I mean who hasn't heard of SRV? Just never think about his band.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I quit reading when I got to The Shaggs.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8329 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
ZZTop and SRV are and have been significantly more well known than Beyonce, for significantly longer and more consistently, and while she's pretty and can dance and sing - the "quality" attribute ought to have disqualified her by itself. So lame, such vapid crap, comparatively, that will have no lasting significance on music as a whole. Terrible choice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
They don't even mention Nirvana from Washington state.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Okay... Roll Eyes

Lol. That was my reaction through most of the article...and why I had to share it. Razz

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is I have never paid attention to where bands/groups are from.

Off hand I can think of 1 and it happens to be their pick from Georgia.

Why do I remember that because Outkast's album ATLiens came out when I was in the 8th grade and it is what got probably 90% of the locker room play before football practice and games.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

To that you can add George Strait and the Ace in the Hole Band.

Strait has sold more than 100 million records worldwide,[7] making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time. His certifications from the RIAA include 13 multi-platinum, 33 platinum, and 38 gold albums. His best-selling album is Pure Country (1992), which sold 6 million (6× platinum). His highest certified album is Strait Out of the Box (1995), which sold 2 million copies (8× Platinum due to being a box set with four CDs). According to the RIAA, Strait is the 12th best-selling album recording artist in the United States overall

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
My favorite band from Illinois is Loudmouth, but it's hard to compete with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

And, REO Speedwagon

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Georgia - OutKast (over R.E.M. and the B-52s, to name a couple)

1. The B52's don't belong in any "best band" list ever created.
2. The Allman Brothers Band is the best Georgia band.

The Black Crowes, REM, Widespread Panic, Blackberry Smoke, Drivin' N Cryin', Goodie Mob, ARS, Indigo Girls, Collective Soul, Sevendust, Third Day, TLC, Marvelous 3 and Zac Brown Band would round things out.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
They listed Pearl Jam, Nervana and Soundgarden for Washington, but for me it would be The Steve Miller Band or Jimi Hendricks. I never got into the grunge scene so the two I mentioned were what I would have picked.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
hard to argue with " Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from Florida.

But no mention of Molly Hatchet?

Molly Hatchet in concert damaged more of my hearing than a lifetime of shooting.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post