SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Final Countdown
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Final Countdown Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I like the movie, but I’ve never figured out what the title “The Final Countdown” has to do with the movie, the plot, or anything.

Counting down to Pearl has always been my guess.

I LOVED where that Tomcat almost ends up in the drink while toying with the Zeros.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

...I LOVED where that Tomcat almost ends up in the drink while toying with the Zeros.

I have not seen it in 20+ years, but IIRC the Tomcat vs Zero flying scenes were GREAT. The only special effects I remember - also great - were the mass of clouds when the CO sent the destroyers off and continued the carrier's heading into the storm.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:

I LOVED where that Tomcat almost ends up in the drink while toying with the Zeros.

Some of that scene was left on the cutting room floor, the F-14 came close enough to the sea that they churned up water with the blast from the afterburners. A friend of mine, who once flew Tomcats, told me that you “fly the engines, not the aircraft “ with the early TF-30 powered Tomcats, anyway. I was able to chat with one of the cameramen who worked on the movie. The camera ship was a converted B-25, where the tail gunners position was originally had been removed, it was altered to an open air camera station with the operator sitting in a sort of bosun’s chair with his feet in stirrups. During periods when they would be setting up for more shots he would chat with the aviators in the Tomcats and one time he was jokingly giving one of them a hard time, asking him “Hey, can’t you get any closer for the camera.” The F-14 happened to be in trail at the time and the pilot said “Stick your foot out here.”, the cameraman did and that guy drove that big ‘ol Tomcat right up until he was touching his foot with the tip of the radome, turned on pitot heat burning a hole in the sole of his shoe and asked him “That close enough for you?” He said he didn’t give them a hard time after that. Razz

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Awesome movie. I got to tour the USS Midway last year in San Diego and even that older aircraft carrier was pretty impressive. I can't imagine a Nimitz class carrier.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I like the movie, but I’ve never figured out what the title “The Final Countdown” has to do with the movie, the plot, or anything.

Counting down to Pearl has always been my guess.

Wasn't there a countdown when the storm was approaching? It's been awhile, but I thought they were attempting to intercept the Japanese task force, and there was a clock counting down the approaching time vortex. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I could be wrong.

For rscalzo, you're wife getting hung up on the time/space paradox is funny stuff. My wife would be saying something like "Wait a minute. How does he feel about meeting his friend after all these years? Hush, woman, and just look at the planes!!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Love this movie. I’ve got it on DVD. It’s a great Sci-Fi story that plays “what if” which are always fun. Plus the flying scenes are SO much better than Top Gun! Big Grin

My favorite scene is when the F-14s buzz the Senators yacht. The premise being that they’ve never seen a jet before much less a 4th generation fighter like the Tomcat. The reaction of those on the yacht is spot on, a good piece of acting IMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mojojojo,

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:

Some of that scene was left on the cutting room floor, the F-14 came close enough to the sea that they churned up water with the blast from the afterburners. A friend of mine, who once flew Tomcats, told me that you “fly the engines, not the aircraft “ with the early TF-30 powered Tomcats, anyway.

Those Crap & Shitty TF30's were a horrible pairing. If I recall, after pilot error, that engine was responsible for most of the accidents: stalls, compressor issues, coughs on the cat, etc.... Took 20+ years for the much improved GE F110 to be developed on the -B & -D models.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When this movie was shown on cable, Captain Yelland's remark of "Jap bastard" was edited out.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Used to watch it all the time as a kid as it was regularly shown on one of the cable movie stations and I couldn’t get enough of the Tomcats. Loved it and still do. I love the bantering back and forth about not interrupting history at which point they say fuck it, this is a US aircraft carrier and we defend no matter the year. Everything launching quickly was excellent to watch. We’d drive out to Carswell AFB on the days they’d play war, launching every plane they had as fast as they can and seeing that in the film was a rush.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
We’d drive out to Carswell AFB on the days they’d play war, launching every plane they had as fast as they can and seeing that in the film was a rush.

While that was cool, nothing beats a B52/KC135 MITO. I used to get a boner watching these. This one was filmed at Griffiss AFB in '87 or '88. If that's accurate, I was probably standing around watching it live...with a boner. Big Grin

The only time I didn't care for them was when they'd take off northbound instead of southbound (like here). I lived about two miles from the end of 33 and usually worked nights. They'd shake the whole house so much you'd think it was coming down. That'll wake you up!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That is one of my favorite movies from my childhood. I had it burned on VHS and I swear I wore the tape out.

It was one of the inspirations for me joining the military and working on aircraft.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
I'm surprised that Hollywood hasn't redone this film, considering that they seemed to have re-made every other movie from the 1980's. A remake would have F-18's and F-35's, though.

I hope they never do. It really can't be improved upon. Great cast, amazing soundtrack, no CGI or blue screen crap.
Had to spool it up and rewatch it this evening.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
I was expecting Europe.

BE DO DO DO...

I’ll have to check this one out not heard of it.

I was singing the song as I opened the thread.

The rest where you admit to male failure, can't help you with...

Y’all have to cut me a little slack. The movie came out a few years before I was even born.

Next thing you'll tell us is you've never seen The Warriors either.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I was expecting Europe.

BE DO DO DO...

Y’all have to cut me a little slack. The movie came out a few years before I was even born.

Next thing you'll tell us is you've never seen The Warriors either.

I have seen the Warriors as it was one of those that TBS seemed to have on a constant loop when I was a kid.

I am looking forward to checking out The Final Countdown.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having seen this movie multiple times over the years, I think I can say with reasonable assurance that there's no "countdown" of any kind. Maybe the original novel had something more?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I was expecting Europe.

BE DO DO DO...

Not necessarily... I think we're relatively the same age (34) and I saw it probably 15-20 years ago.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell, I'll raise you. Saw it in a base theatre overseas in 1981 Big Grin

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK, I had to watch it on Amazon.
Everything you guys said about it is true--much better carrier and flight scenes than Top Gun.
And there is still no connection between this excellent movie and its totally irrelevant title.
Big Grin

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
Having seen this movie multiple times over the years, I think I can say with reasonable assurance that there's no "countdown" of any kind. Maybe the original novel had something more?

The only novelized version was written after the movie. There's no countdown.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Just got done watching it.
Pretty good flick.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post