SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Final Countdown
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Final Countdown Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
Having seen this movie multiple times over the years, I think I can say with reasonable assurance that there's no "countdown" of any kind. Maybe the original novel had something more?

The only novelized version was written after the movie. There's no countdown.

I actually skimmed through the novelization many years ago. There were a few differences in that a Zero was shot down with an AIM-7 Sparrow instead of an AIM-9 Sidewinder as in the film.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Having seen this movie multiple times over the years, I think I can say with reasonable assurance that there's no "countdown" of any kind. Maybe the original novel had something more?

The only novelized version was written after the movie. There's no countdown.

I actually skimmed through the novelization many years ago. There were a few differences in that a Zero was shot down with an AIM-7 Sparrow instead of an AIM-9 Sidewinder as in the film.

Given the problems early-generation AIM-7's had with target engagement, getting one to knock-down a small aircraft like a Zero, let alone get off the rails without sputtering, would've been a minor miracle.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wilberforce
posted Hide Post
Great movie.
Love the F14s vs Zeros.

---------------
"Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, “I am a warrior.”
--Joel 3:10, ESV

Posts: 186 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Interview with one of the f-14 pilots that was in the movie.

There are some other interview clips with this pilot talking about general Tomcat stuff if you search for them. Good stuff.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
This thread makes me want to find that DVD and watch it again.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I saw the movie at a theater in Denver, Colorado. With the size of the screen it made that Tomcat appear life size, as that black screen morphs into looking up the burner can of that F-14. “SH-3 inbound from the right. Have a nice day.” Big Grin

The Cooper Theater on south Colorado Blvd?

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
this is one of those movies that when its on you just have to watch

much like The Martian or Galaxy Quest...

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If you guys want to watch a very interesting F-14 Pilot, just put "F-14 Pilot Okie" in youtubes search box.

The guy is the real deal and a heckuva interesting guy to listen to.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
This weekend, the weather was kind of crappy and I asked my wife what movie she wanted to watch. She actually asked to see this one. She started asking 'what was that movie where...' questions. I soon realized she was talking about this one. I have a double DVD special edition so we watched it. She did not fall asleep, which is a major thumbs up for her. With all that is happening right now, I think this movie amounts to visual comfort food.

We even watched a BluRay of Heat next and she didn't fall asleep on that either.

I was so very proud.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who can't get enough F-14 Tomcat info...

You can check out F-14 Tomcat ATG Radio show/Podcast

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
With respect to the above linked F14 video....You guys should subscribe to C.W. Lemoine on youtube. Lately he's been interviewing pilots from other ages and planes. I really like those videos.

C.W. Lemoine is quite an overachiever. Air Force F-16's, transferred to the Navy and flew F-18's, now in the Reserves in T-38's, been getting his helicopter ticket, a good author with a series of books called Scepter, Reserve Deputy, I can't recall what else. Has some shooting videos, a new Corvette.

I don't think the guy sleeps.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a fair amount of military airplane content now, probably the most popular is C.W. Lemoine and The Fighter Pilot Podcast.

Back to the OP

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
More F-14 goodness.

Tomcat Tales

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I know another film, but Revenge has been on the satellite here and there. I finally got to see the opening scene of Costner flying over Mexico. Some excellent low altitude shots of the Tomcat. Hasn’t seen that scene in probably 20 years.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post