SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Final Countdown
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Final Countdown Login/Join 
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted
I watched this again last night. I really like this movie. It adds quite a twist to Pearl Harbor and is very thought provoking with respect to what might have been.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I was expecting Europe.

BE DO DO DO...

I’ll have to check this one out not heard of it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was expecting Europe.

BE DO DO DO...

Huh, your posts fail to reflect that you were living in a doomsday vault for 40 years.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Great flick. Excellent cast.
"Splash the Zeros"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites as well.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Good movie.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe Kirk Douglas turned 102 on Dec 9!

And yes, good flic.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the novelization, too. Like many, it added info that you could only guess about on screen.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie at a theater in Denver, Colorado. With the size of the screen it made that Tomcat appear life size, as that black screen morphs into looking up the burner can of that F-14. “SH-3 inbound from the right. Have a nice day.” Big Grin

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Great flick. Excellent cast.
"Splash the Zeros"

Eagle Control, this is Alert One.....splash two.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing it in the theater as well. I have always held in awe the operations of an aircraft carrier. For the time, on a scale of 1-10, this movie had a "cool factor" of 11. Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I did a little search on my Amazon FireTV and found this film streams for free on the Tubi App.
Whatever that may be.
Now I’ll have to get some free time so it will no longer seem that I have been living in a cave.

————————————————

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Hate that movie.

My wife would keep asking me questions like "but if they were in 1941, how could they be in 1985????

Just watch the dam movie !!!!!!

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before Top Gun, I believe this was the only movie where Tomcats got screen time to show off their moves.

Also, one of the few times that the magazine areas of a carrier is shown on film.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was expecting Europe.

BE DO DO DO...

I was singing the song as I opened the thread.

The rest where you admit to male failure, can't help you with...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that Hollywood hasn't redone this film, considering that they seemed to have re-made every other movie from the 1980's. A remake would have F-18's and F-35's, though.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
A remake would have F-18's and F-35's, though.

You say that like it is a bad thing...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I like the movie, but I’ve never figured out what the title “The Final Countdown” has to do with the movie, the plot, or anything.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
I was expecting Europe.

BE DO DO DO...

I was singing the song as I opened the thread.

The rest where you admit to male failure, can't help you with...

Y’all have to cut me a little slack. The movie came out a few years before I was even born.

————————————————