SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The bombs are really the least of the problems with this shit sandwich movie.

Fuck you Rian Johnson

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The more I watch these movies, the more it was inspired by WW2 combat.

US / British bomber attack for the opening scene (think "Memphis Belle") and surface combat for the 'chase' scene of the spaceships (Sink the Bismark or any other WW2 movie like that).

Hollywood is really all out of ideas.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

US / British bomber attack for the opening scene (think "Memphis Belle") and surface combat for the 'chase' scene of the spaceships (Sink the Bismark or any other WW2 movie like that).

Hollywood is really all out of ideas.

Which goes all the way back to the first movie. The TIE/Xwing dogfights over the death star are all based on WWII gun camera footage.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Fuck you Rian Johnson

This mantra is getting old, man. We all get it and agree with you.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
Which goes all the way back to the first movie. The TIE/Xwing dogfights over the death star are all based on WWII gun camera footage.
Agreed, but the bomber scene is like cut and pasted out of a WW2 movie.

Oh, the bombers are getting torn up by ground fire, oh they are almost to release, oh the bombs wont drop due to a mechanical issue, oh we need a heroic act to drop them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
johnson admitted his inspiration for the 'bomb run' was from watching WWII footage (complete with ball turrets) and heavy losses. Never mind the context of the Star Wars established lore of tactics/history/common sense, etc (in an established world with computerized targeting and THOUSANDS of opposing enemy fighters, lumbering heavy bombers on a long, slow 'bomb run' will inevitably result in mass slaughter). Of course it would have made sense to use Y-wing fighters (the SW equivalent of F-15E Strike Eagles), but they put style over substance, and it shows.

And he wanted that 'dramatic' (I say 'stupid' and 'boring) tail chase. THAT drove the entire stupid and childish plot. He didn't take the fams OR franchise seriously,, and THAT will cost Didney Worl millions (if not billions) in lost revenue.

Face it, this knucklehead almost KILLED the Star Wars movie franchise. In making this movie, he took an essentially no-lose scenario and managed to screw it up so badly that even an outstanding Ep 9 may not be able to save the franchise.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, the bombers are getting torn up by ground fire, oh they are almost to release, oh the bombs wont drop due to a mechanical issue, oh we need a heroic act to drop them.

Yeah, no doubt. That whole scene was clichéd and boring and stupid.

quote:
Face it, this knucklehead almost KILLED the Star Wars movie franchise. In making this movie, he took an essentially no-lose scenario and managed to screw it up so badly that even an outstanding Ep 9 may not be able to save the franchise.

No almost about it.

I finally tried to watch TLJ last week on Netflix. The whole floaty in space after being blowed up and blowed out of your ship without a spacesuit and without a scratch because THE FORCE (midiclorians Roll Eyes ), coming on the heels of the aforementioned silly "bomb run" which came on the heels of the Luke Skywalker grimacing while drinking walrus titty juice while being a giant, whiney bitch was enough.

Turned it off while Leia was still doing the floaty in space thing. Don't care enough about the new, lame-ass characters and the preachy SJW message overload to finish and no longer care about any new stuff coming out. Might give Solo a look when it makes it's way to TV. Might not.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Well, by 'almost,' I mean that they still did Solo and are going to do Ep9, but other announced projects (Obi Wan and Boba Fett standalone films) are now imperiled. . .

It's almost like he TRIED to tank Ep8, as bad as it was. Any competent director could have made even a vanilla movie that fans would have loved and supported. Instead, he poisoned the well and killed the golden goose (to mix metaphors). . .

I don't even think the prequels evoked as much hatred amongst the fan base as this turd did.

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bO9m1-j26kU

I don't know how to embed, go to 50 seconds in.... Did he deliberately piss off fans?

And.. Fuck you Rian Johnson. It might get old, but it's my thread and I'm not over it yet, sorry Orguss, not trying to annoy you but too much nerd rage still in me. ☺

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I must have missed it. Is Star Wars a documentary???

[/sarcasm]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
And.. Fuck you Rian Johnson. It might get old, but it's my thread and I'm not over it yet, sorry Orguss, not trying to annoy you but too much nerd rage still in me. ☺

LOL Your show, man. I'm gonna bow out for a while. Smile

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
johnson admitted his inspiration for the 'bomb run' was from watching WWII footage (complete with ball turrets) and heavy losses. Never mind the context of the Star Wars established lore of tactics/history/common sense, etc (in an established world with computerized targeting and THOUSANDS of opposing enemy fighters, lumbering heavy bombers on a long, slow 'bomb run' will inevitably result in mass slaughter). Of course it would have made sense to use Y-wing fighters (the SW equivalent of F-15E Strike Eagles), but they put style over substance, and it shows.

SW has been horrible when it comes to understanding tactics and how to film warfare. As a country, we've been at war for 17-years, electronic warfare is a major part of penetrating contested air space and near-peer battle, you'd think these script writers would bring in some subject matter experts to get a better understanding of what modern warfare is like. TESB introduced watchers to the ion cannon, it paralyzed a star destroyer, Rogue One had them on Y-Wings, same result, it paralyzed a star destroyer....that's been it from the rebels/resistance. Freaking jawas used them to paralyze R2-D2 in ANH, this latest round of movies there's been no such usage of any kind of electronic warfare. But, bombers we got to have bombers, dropping racks and racks onto a spaceship. Tench warfare, check. What's next wave attacks, oh we had that in TPM Roll Eyes

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know how to embed, go to 50 seconds in.... Did he deliberately piss off fans?

Sounds like it. He said he WANTED a movie that some loved and others hated, and that he had no interest in a film that everybody loved.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here y'are...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Of course it is. Going all the way back to Lucas and A New Hope, and he's stated that. It's nothing new.

The Millennium Falcon's cockpit was inspired by a WWII bomber:

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Fuck you Rian Johnson

Who is this "we" shit?

There are still plenty of people who thought TLJ was fine. Myself included. Jesus. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's fine. You guys can think it was fine. I happen to agree with Lord Vaalic and think it was a total shitfest.

Fuck Rian Johnson. I'm with Lord Vaalic: It can't be said enough.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes Lucas copied some dogfighting footage almost exactly for the original. All the Star Wars dog fights are totally based on WW2 combat.

The bombs don't really bother me as much as some. The plan of bringing in these ponderous fragile bombers was stupid, but I can accept the magnetic or targeted bomb theory

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Fuck you Rian Johnson

Who is this "we" shit?

There are still plenty of people who thought TLJ was fine. Myself included. Jesus. Roll Eyes

LOL, Orguss is right, maybe I am beating a dead horse, but I am a huge Star Wars nerd, and I have just infinite nerd rage over this movie.

I am happy you enjoyed it, really I am. Star Wars is meant to be enjoyed by all. I wish I could agree with you.

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I watched TLJ again the other night on Netflix, I figured I would give it another shot just to be sure.

I felt like probably about 50% of the movie was OK even good, but there were certain parts that just made you go "WTF?! That's just stupid."

I even didn't mind the idea of Leia's space walk but she should not have been able to do that given that she most likely was never trained far enough, if at all, in being a Jedi.

Will I watch it again in my lifetime? Probably, but only if there is nothing else on TV or anything else to do. I bought TFA, Rogue One and I will buy Solo. Will I buy TLJ? Nope.

P.S. Fuck Rian Johnson. I'm with Lord Vaalic.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post