SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I read the spoilers. It seems like they are making bad movies and killing all the original cast off. I guess Chewbacca is next? I'll pass...

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
No fire from me, man, and I am clearly one of the more vocal critics here

I'm glad you liked it. I wish I did. I don't go see stuff to be miserable and disappointed

Youre spot on with your expectations. I'm the perfect age where Star Wars had a huge impact on my life. I am still hoping that the genius that was the empire strikes back reappears. The closest they got to it was rogue one

But the reality is, they aren't even trying. That's not what the next generation wants. They want flashy, funny, bubble gum sci-fi. And that's what this is.

But when I was a kid Star Wars was referred to as a space opera. The original conception was to make a serious movie, just set in a Galaxy far, far away

There is no attempt for this to be a space opera.

It's like the difference between the Marvel movies, and Nolan's the dark knight

The Marvel movies are good comic book movies. Nolan wasn't making a comic book movie. He was making a serious, in depth, disturbing crime drama where the main character just happened to be Batman

I'm not sure this even qualifies as good bubble gum sci fi, but it will be a success because it's fflashy in a setting people like and are familiar with

quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
Little or no love here for this one. I'm gonna freak you all out and tell you, I enjoyed the movie. The whole Star Wars thing has been so bastardized going back and forth making the first one the seventh one, and all that crap. I couldn't tell you (or even care) what order they oughta be seen in. So, the last few movies, I go see 'em, and hope I like them. I haven't cared for a Star Wars movie in quite a while, but overall, I liked this one. Yes, lots of oddities and errors. Still had fun watching it. I'll be seeing it again next week when my son flies down for Christmas.

You may fire at will....

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
No one has pointed out the most glaring flaw:

Rey is still a total badass for no reason whatsoever. She is every modern girl's dream--be awesome at everything without having to do any work to earn it.

In every other Star Wars movie (including Rogue One), every major character has had extensive training or previous experience which lead up to their achievements on-screen. The sole standout being Anakin because his Force attunement is so great. But in Rey, we see someone with no experience with a lightsaber easily beat Kylo Ren in The Force Awakens then get a couple of days of training from Luke in The Last Jedi and going on to successfully resist Snoke's attempts to glean information from her before fighting off a bunch of his personal guard.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Myself, a coworker and my 21 year old daughter saw it yesterday - I feel comfortable saying we're all die hard star wars nerds. This movie was awful. All I could think of was an interview with George Lucas where he stated star wars was for kids. The Force Awakens, while generally A New Hope for the Millenials, was infinitely better fan service

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
It does not go unnoticed by me, that while the bought-and-paid for 'critics' rated it 93% fresh...the fan reaction was not so kind at only 56% approval.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com...r_wars_the_last_jedi

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I think I'm with the consensus on this one. I just don't understand how some of this crap got into final production. I wish they hadn't killed Snoke honestly as I would have liked to see more back story and now we may not.

Also, it seemed like it jumped around too quickly, as if the events couldn't have possibly happened that closely in succession. For instance after the escape pods all land and then all the sudden everyone is ready to fight again in their old worn out ships and artillery like they had been planning it for a while. The visuals were beautiful though I want more satisfying story. I'm glad Luke had a lot of screen time, but why is he so whiny? And I love jokes though this movie had too many light hearted one liners.

And how is it that they did not kill off Leia?!?!!! The floating in space thing and surviving is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Even when that gravity bomb ship girl in the beginning is exposed to open space via the open hatch below she didn't even freeze to death instantly. Isn't space like -200 degrees?

So when are they gonna kill off Leia? And how? It's pretty much gotta be done right?

I liked it some, but man it seems like there were just so many issues this time around. I hope Rian is done with the franchise.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's really sad is that there's better writing, character development and overall thoughtfulness in every episode of the Rebels animated series. On another note, it's always irritated me that the resistance only wins battles by miraculous, seat of your pants, hastily planned hail Mary's with a collection of spare parts. The empire or first order, on the other hand has infinite resources of every kind and no defeat, no matter how devastating does anything but slightly delay their plans. But any victory for the resistance, no matter how large is completely wasted and they're back to square one. It's just dumb that after the destruction of three enormous super weapons and counless giant star ships the enemy is never bankrupted or defeated.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Rey is still a total badass for no reason whatsoever. She is every modern girl's dream--be awesome at everything without having to do any work to earn it.

In every other Star Wars movie (including Rogue One), every major character has had extensive training or previous experience which lead up to their achievements on-screen. The sole standout being Anakin because his Force attunement is so great. But in Rey, we see someone with no experience with a lightsaber easily beat Kylo Ren in The Force Awakens then get a couple of days of training from Luke in The Last Jedi and going on to successfully resist Snoke's attempts to glean information from her before fighting off a bunch of his personal guard.

This is a great point that I had not even thought of.

However, I suppose it would require some form of character development to know anything about Rey. Hell maybe she has had some type of training, we'll never know because this new crop of directors/writers don't feel the need to explain anything. They rehashed the old plot for TFA and then created this jumbled mess for the Last Jedi.

Rey, Snoke, etc...who are they? Anyone's guess at this point and we're two whole movies deep.

It's unfathomable to me how stuff like The Last Jedi can make it into final production with something that terrible. I would be willing to bet a handful of 40 year old Star Wars nerds could have written a better script. The prequels weren't great but they were 100x better than this crap. These movies are actually making me appreciate the prequels.

And I gave them a break with TFA. I figured they were playing in safe, producing a movie that fans would be hard pressed to "hate" because it was basically a rehash of the original. But with this one I was expecting something mind blowing, some incredible writing akin to Game of Thrones. Instead we have Leia flying like Mary Poppins and the great dark side leader Snoke dying at the hands of two kids.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AirmanJeff,

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you for this, Orguss.
It succinctly sums up the millennial idealism in the film that I couldn't articulate myself.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Another thing that bugged me....
Finn throwing around the word 'tech' like he's blogging for Wired magazine.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe there is just no way out of the corner they painted themselves into...

I too was disappointed by some of the revelations (Rey's parents, Snoke etc) being nothing burgers.

But TNT has been playing the Prequels this morning and I am remember how furious everyone was how everything was connected (Chewie knowing Yoda, Anakin building C3PO, Jango Fett and the clones etc).

I have a feeling JJ is going to retcon a lot of this stuff in Episode IX.

I can see why Disney wanted to give Rian Johnson a whole new trilogy completed unconnected to The Saga.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
And how is it that they did not kill off Leia?!?!!! The floating in space thing and surviving is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Even when that gravity bomb ship girl in the beginning is exposed to open space via the open hatch below she didn't even freeze to death instantly. Isn't space like -200 degrees?

It's hard to really give space a "temperature." Temperature is a measure of how fast the molecules in some stuff are vibrating. Space doesn't have any "stuff" to vibrate.

Cold air makes you cold because the molecules in your body hit molecules of air and transfer some of their energy to the air.

There isn't anything in space for your molecules to hit.

The only way energy really leaves "stuff" that is sitting in space is via infrared radiation.

It's actually a bigger problem keeping space stations and space ships and space suits from overheating than from getting too cold. If you're in the sun (i.e., not in the shadow of a planetary body or something), you tend to absorb more energy from the sun's radiation than you emit as infrared radiation. That's why "space stuff" is almost always white or shiny (to reflect, rather than absorb, as much of the sun's radiation as possible).

Here's a Scientific American article that talks about survival in space without a suit:

https://www.scientificamerican...nprotected-possible/

It talks about vacuum exposure tests on dogs (exposure under 90 seconds had no lasting ill effects) and chimpanzees (exposure under 3 minutes had no lasting ill effects), plus one instance of a technician inside a vacuum chamber at Johnson Space Center accidentally depressurizing his suit and surviving with no ill effects (exposure of less than 30 seconds).

As far as the girl in the bomber, I just assumed there was some kind of force field across the open bay doors - through all of the Star Wars movies, small ship hangers in bigger ships have always been "open to space" (you can see the stars through the open doors) with unsuited personnel working in them.

(I'm not trying to argue that it was a good movie, there were some good bits but overall I didn't really like it, those just weren't things I had a big problem with.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Another niggling annoyance about this movie: When does Leia have time to change into each fabulous-yet-appropriate-for-the-moment outfit?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another niggling annoyance about this movie: When does Leia have time to change into each fabulous-yet-appropriate-for-the-moment outfit?

She uses the force, man!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess, I bet Leia dies off screen and we are told about it or see her funeral during episode IX.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i was watching the scene on the salt planet with red underneath when they showed the close up on why the door buster worm weapon was moving so slowly as to hold up the whole attach force, and couldn't help but think of Goldfinger's laser and it's oh-so-slow approach to double oh seven's crotch.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My oldest son and his friends just got back from seeing it

They are all 15 or 16 years old

They also all hated it

My son said he knew the Leia scene was coming because he'd heard spoilers, and was still surprised by how bad it was

He said the only thing missing was an umbrella and ahe would have been Mary Poppims

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was it just me or was there some real inconsistencies with the distance from the rebel base and the first order walkers? The speeders have this long drawn out approach which would lead me to believe they traveled a great distance yet Finn drags Rose’s body back in like 2 minutes.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Eh, I didn’t mind it as much as some others. It definitely felt like 2 movies to me, the Luke and Rey actual Star Wars story, and Finn’s super happy multi cultural celebration extravaganza. The entire Finm storyline including the rebels slow motion escape in their giant white bronco pretty much sucked. Also, the Poe renacts who moved my space cheese, the 90s leadership self help book didn’t do anything but irritate me.

However, I actually really liked the Luke/Rey arcs, particularly the fact that Rey’s parents were not important. I think it sets Rey up to be the Anakin antithesis. Raw strength and natural talent, but unlike Anakin who was constantly fighting being pulled to the dark side, she went right to it and was basically like- nope, nothing for me here.

I also didn’t have an issue with the way Luke went out, in fact after stewing on it for a few days I really don’t know how they could have done it better. I didn’t take issue with the astroprojection thing, I mean if he was that close to becoming one with the force and Yoda and Ben can do it, well, whatever. I don’t think Luke could have ever rebuilt the Jedi order, and I wouldn’t find him turned into the Mace Windu type Jedi master to be believable. I do however find him totally fucking up and going all crazy homeless guy completely believable. I mean, he didn’t have the raw strength Anakin did, made rash decisions, and was pretty reckless overall. Basically if you break it down his super power was just really good aim. He didn’t have the training or the raw ability. His story line made sense to me, and when he became at peace with his past he was able to become one with the force. I liked the tie in OB1 in that sense.

I don’t know if that excuses the rest of the movie for me, but there was enough that I enjoyed that I don’t hate it as a whole.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Then what was the point of Luke leaving a secret map to his island? If he were to be a hermit and simply wanted to disappear so he could become one with the Force, why then would the events of The Force Awakens even need to happen?