Find
Notify
Tools

Tombstone Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
Thought this video was interesting and fills in some of the stuff you probably didn't know about the Earps.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read everything I could on the Earps, Holiday, Tombstone and the Cowboys. I went to Tombstone, the Cochise Co. Courthouse, the shoot out location (which is not in the OK Corral) and saw Wyatts house.
There is much more to the shoot out than the many movies depict. Politics, culture as well as personal and family pride all come into play.
The best thing the video points out is that Earp was a man of the times.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Hollywood has really shifted focus in the last decade to the anti-hero. If Tombstone were made today it'd probably a good bit different. Wyatt Earp was no white knight reluctantly dragged back into law enforcement because nobody else could mete out the justice that the Cowboys were owed...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched the video, but the thing that stands out to me the most is the claim by Kate Elder that after the gunfight, Doc Holliday came back to their hotel room, sat on the edge of the bed and cried like a baby.

Make of that what you will, but if this account is true, it puts a bit of different perspective to this event, doesn't it?

Elder's claim is so very far from the mythology surrounding Holliday, that I tend to believe her. Her claim sounds like the truth.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I’ve said before that Old Man Clanton was my 5x or something great uncle. I’ve got the family tree around here somewhere. I enjoy learning about this stuff.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Watched much of it.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I haven't watched the video, but the thing that stands out to me the most is the claim by Kate Elder that after the gunfight, Doc Holliday came back to their hotel room, sat on the edge of the bed and cried like a baby.

Make of that what you will, but if this account is true, it puts a bit of different perspective to this event, doesn't it?

Elder's claim is so very far from the mythology surrounding Holliday, that I tend to believe her. Her claim sounds like the truth.

video does mention that while Holliday was known as a feared gunfighter, there's only record of him killing two men.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Holliday was a talented pistoleer - but not the cold blooded killer that he was portrayed as. I also tend to believe Elder's recollection of the event.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve read a lot about the old west gunfighters and if we could go back in time we’d probably be shocked to find that they were mostly petty criminals, swindlers and unremarkable people. Lying, cheating, gambling and drinking they’re way through life.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I’ve read a lot about the old west gunfighters and if we could go back in time we’d probably be shocked to find that they were mostly petty criminals, swindlers and unremarkable people. Lying, cheating, gambling and drinking they’re way through life.

Based upon history, there wasn't many gunfights in general. The gunfights that did happened, were usually between criminals, bullies and those of quite flexible morals. Most people were armed and gave a damn about their well being willing to fight for their property and not be pushed around; unlike how Hollywood has portrayed men in the West as either: the alpha male willing to use his gun (main character or, protagonist) to solve problems or, the cowering, pathetic, wimp scared of this own shadow (bartender, barber, merchant, banker...).

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love this movie! I know that the Earps weren't perfect (or guiltless), but it is a wonderful movie.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I love this stuff, thanks for posting. Last year I found myself about 2 hours from Tombstone and of course spent one whole day walking around and taking everything in. It was awesome, to be there and walk into all those buildings, it put everything into a new perspective.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
When Marion Morrison aka John Wayne was hired as a prop boy by John Ford Wyatt was a consultant on silent film westerns. Wayne and Wyatt became friends. The Duke always gave credit to Wyatt for developing his on screen persona in westerns.
Wayne said that his walk and speech came from Wyatt.

Wyatt personally described to John Ford the shoot out at the OK Corral and even drew it out for him on paper.
Ford later used the diagram drawn out for him from Wyatt in the movie My Darling Clementine.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched this video yet but if its like any of his other videos, it'll be amazing. He really does his homework.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I enjoy reading some of the history of the West. Not long ago, I finished Jeff Guinn's "The Last Gunfight", a very good take on Wyatt, Doc and Tombstone. Well regarded as factual.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I saw another documentary on the making of Tombstone and was amazed At the reverence that the primary actors like Kurt Russell, Powers Booth, Sam Elliott, Michael Biehn, etc paid to the characters they played and the authenticity that they all tried to adhere to in the production. I found some of Kurt Russell's comments quite moving and he clearly understood the reality of what they went through at that point in time.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post