SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fargo - Season 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fargo - Season 3 Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Well, that was interesting. And, the young girl is Francesca Eastwood, Clint's daughter. Her mother was Frances Fisher who played the girl all grown up. And, was Strawberry Alice in Unforgiven.

Well we got an answer to the question "what the hell is the deal with those books under the floor boards". Although interesting it's now on to the meat and potatoes of the story.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Though interesting, (Ex)Chief Burgle's trip to Hollywood didn't add anything to the main plot. Tracing Ennis' past wouldn't have helped solve the crime. Whose murder wasn't part of any conspiracy, but the work of a lazy and inept stick-up man.

I wouldn't mind it so much, except it used up an episode from a short ten episode season.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I gotta drop the kids off at the pool.

You got kids?

I gotta take a shit.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
This damn show just keeps getting stranger and stranger, but better every week.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
This damn show just keeps getting stranger and stranger, but better every week.

Yep. Seems like there's some real action in the works. Varga is creepy... I can't get the image of his bulimia out of my head. I'll bet he stinks, as does Sy's mustache at this point. Eek

I do love the music selections.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Yep, getting better every week.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Yikes things are about to heat up..

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Two guys. A Russian and some..., some kind of oriental.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Paraphrasing liberally -- Some days you get the cat, some days the cat gets you. A bowling alley no less. Red Face

Kind of surprised this show isn't getting more attention here. Season 3 has maybe been the best ride, a very good story and a larger, more memorable cast of characters.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
... A bowling alley no less. Red Face ...

Straight out of The Big Lebowski.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Kind of surprised this show isn't getting more attention here. Season 3 has maybe been the best ride, a very good story and a larger, more memorable cast of characters.

This season has had so many twists and turns with so many diverse characters and subplots, that sometimes the story line gets lost. It almost seems like the writers are trying to one up the last shocking scene.

I do like it though and take if for what it's worth. I have a hard time believing this is based on a true story though, whereas other seasons were more believable.

-D.H. Lawrence

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I have a hard time believing this is based on a true story though....

I had to laugh at the opening of one of the recent episodes. The on-screen graphic reads "This is a true story". "true" fades out leaving "This is a story". Smile

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
It helps to know your Coen Brothers filmography.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Gotta think that the last episode was more story than true.
Especially the bowling alley scenes.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I love this series.

I'm not sure anything is true except for maybe the movie. They just kind of use that as a tag line like the movie did. After season 2 I tried looking up the shootout in the woods and couldn't find anything about it. So I would say it is mostly story. Still must watch TV though.

Last season I could have done without the UFO, and this season the bowling alley scene. But in a way the bowling alley scene fits, whereas the UFO did not.

Still, love the music, love the story, love the characters, and love the accents. Years ago I had a roommate from Prior Lake, MN who talked like they do. I used to laugh at his accent and swear no one talked that way (even after watching the Fargo movie). Then one ball his mom, aunt, and sister came and holy cow! They DO talk like that! To be fair he made fun of my Boston accent also lol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
FWIW the film was just a story too. The Coens have changed their story from based on fact to completely made up.

I can't say it doesn't matter to me. It does, I don't want the movie or the series to be true because you know dramatic license would be taken. Just tell a good story and that they've been doing. I too love this show.

From the movie's Wikipedia page -- https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1670000324/p/2

Multiple accounts exist regarding the factual (or fictional) basis for Fargo. The film opens with the following text:

This is a true story. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 1987. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

Closing credits, however, bear the standard "all persons fictitious" disclaimer for a work of fiction.

To resolve this apparent discrepancy, the Coen brothers explained that they based their script on an actual criminal event, but wrote a fictional story around it. "We weren't interested in that kind of fidelity," Joel Coen said. "The basic events are the same as in the real case, but the characterizations are fully imagined ... If an audience believes that something's based on a real event, it gives you permission to do things they might otherwise not accept."

The brothers have modified their explanation more than once. In 1996, Joel Coen told a reporter that—contrary to the opening graphic—the actual murders were not committed in Minnesota. Many Minnesotans speculated that the story was inspired by T. Eugene Thompson, a St. Paul attorney who was convicted of hiring a man to murder his wife in 1963, near the Coens' hometown of St. Louis Park; but the Coens claimed that they had never heard of Thompson. After Thompson's death in 2015, Joel Coen changed the explanation again: “[The story was] completely made up. Or, as we like to say, the only thing true about it is that it’s a story.”

The film's special edition DVD contains yet another account, that the film was inspired by the infamous 1986 murder of Helle Crafts from Connecticut at the hands of her husband, Richard, who disposed of her body through a wood chipper.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Fargo's patchwork quilt graphic explains it all.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Fargo's patchwork quilt graphic explains it all.

This pretty much explains it. Very true.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
You see, you got cocky. Forgot to count all the pieces on the board. The cards I'm not showing.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Jeez, that English guy creeps me out. And, sure glad my last name isn't Stussy!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post