SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Jim Gaffigan - comedy show

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Gaffigan - comedy show Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
No need to curse n swear to be funny

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 7288 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that he doesn't do that and is funny, or that he'd still be funny even if he cleaned up his language?

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1508 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sorry.

No cursing and very funny

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 7288 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
He's one of my favorites for that very reason. Also check out Brian Regan, Henry Cho, and Nate Bargatze.

Michael

Posts: 224 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Gaffigan has always cracked me up. Never really noticed his lack of cussing but that doesn't usually bother me if the comedian is funny otherwise.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 4778 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Gaffigan is very funny, and he isn't blue.

And Richard Pryor was funny and was.

If you don't like comedians who curse or talk about off-color material, that is fine with me. But there is no inherent virtue in being a clean comedian. Not being blue doesn't make a clean comedian better or morally superior. Why praise him on that basis? It doesn't make a comedian funnier to be clean. I don't think it is either harder or easier to be a clean comedian.

A comedian's job is to be funny. Different comics use different tools to accomplish that. Judge them on that basis.

I understand that you are not going to hire Gilbert Gottfreid for a children's party, but that doesn't mean he isn't funny or is inferior to Bill Cosby.

(Although, in private, Cosby told filthy jokes. My parents were in a restaurant where he went after a show here in Houston, and heard him tell jokes that would scorch the hair in your ears. They were just as funny as his stage material.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42322 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

If you don't like comedians who curse or talk about off-color material, that is fine with me. But there is no inherent virtue in being a clean comedian. Not being blue doesn't make a clean comedian better or morally superior. Why praise him on that basis? It doesn't make a comedian funnier to be clean. I don't think it is either harder or easier to be a clean comedian.

A comedian's job is to be funny. Different comics use different tools to accomplish that. Judge them on that basis.

I understand that you are not going to hire Gilbert Gottfreid for a children's party, but that doesn't mean he isn't funny or is inferior to Bill Cosby.

(Although, in private, Cosby told filthy jokes. My parents were in a restaurant where he went after a show here in Houston, and heard him tell jokes that would scorch the hair in your ears. They were just as funny as his stage material.)

Sometimes I can't decipher your scoldings from your arguments.

Posts: 7128 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Sometimes I can't decipher your scoldings from your arguments.

lawyers, can't laugh with um but you can laugh at them... oh wait I didn't say fuggin lawyers... Razz

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 9696 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
He has a new special on Netflix.

Honestly, I'd say it was probably my least favorite of all he's done, but it was still enjoyable and well worth watching.

Posts: 13849 | Location: A little box of pine on the 7:29 | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
George Carlin wasnt exactly a saint when it comes to the language but his stuff from the 70s-80s is some of the funniest bits I've ever heard/seen.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 4778 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post