SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A musical interlude...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A musical interlude... Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I've been listening to a lot of Wagner lately.

Go full screen (the graphics are very cool) and turn the sound waaaay up. If you're suffering from insomnia, this vid WILL NOT help!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/jC-pA81QxGs

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Great piece.

The only Wagner that I've conducted was Sigfried Idyll, which is an absolutely gorgeous piece.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
Great piece.

The only Wagner that I've conducted was Sigfried Idyll, which is an absolutely gorgeous piece.
And one hell of a birthday present for his wife!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Wagner seems to have had a love of the bass.

I learned to play the bass in high school and loved it...still do. It just gives such a rich tone to these pieces.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Awesome! A favorite of mine ever since my high school symphonic band played it when I was a freshman.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Imagine being Wagner's wife on Christmas Day 1870. (Her birthday was really Dec 24 but she always celebrated it on Dec 25.) There was a little trumpet action downstairs to wake her up and then the group assembled down there played this: (Composed by her hubby to be her birthday present.) Link

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ds7sikMNoCk

Even if you're not a Wagnerian, turn up the sound, close your eyes, and just listen...

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not a Wagner fan generally, but the Idyll really is lovely. Cosima paid him back with a lifetime of putting Richard on a pedestal after his death.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post