New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reaging bourbon Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I had an awakening when my friend who distills his own whiskey told me that it is clear, coming out of the distillation process.

In other words, the nice brown color comes from its removing material from the wood it's stored in. And that just feels odd. Like I'm drinking fancy wood refinishing fluid, or something.

Don't get me wrong, I like good Scotch and bourbon, now and again. But now each time I drink it, I look at the color and think "nice wood, they had this in".

My buddy gets wood chips to put in his clear whiskey, and eventually, sure enough, it turns a nice brown. Decent drinking stuff too, when he's done.

But now I am thinking that, along with politics and sausage-making, perhaps whiskey-making is something to not delve too deeply into.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Always nice to have good wood!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
My wife told me I have to drink less bourbon. I can’t find that brand anywhere.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid $50 for the two liter with a medium char.

1st glass tonight. It has darkened the bourbon and smoothed out. The bourbon has a stronger oak smell but the taste is very much smoother.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I had an awakening when my friend who distills his own whiskey told me that it is clear, coming out of the distillation process.

In other words, the nice brown color comes from its removing material from the wood it's stored in. And that just feels odd. Like I'm drinking fancy wood refinishing fluid, or something.

Don't get me wrong, I like good Scotch and bourbon, now and again. But now each time I drink it, I look at the color and think "nice wood, they had this in".

My buddy gets wood chips to put in his clear whiskey, and eventually, sure enough, it turns a nice brown. Decent drinking stuff too, when he's done.

But now I am thinking that, along with politics and sausage-making, perhaps whiskey-making is something to not delve too deeply into.

Bourbon gets is color and flavor from the whiskey passing in and out of the char (wood).

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

As jigray3 said, not only does surface area play a big role but the temp. differential pulling the whiskey into and out of the barrel. Craft makers in Oregon are aging as little as 6 months, 2-3 years is long for them. The temp. swings in their warehouses are a lot different than a cellar in Scotland!

From what I've been told, it's not so much the temperature, but more the variation of temperature.

Hot, cold, hot, Cold, HOT, cold, hot, COLD... the wood expands and contracts, expands, contracts with the temperature changes, and "squeezes" (ever so slightly) the flavor from the wood.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post