Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reaging bourbon Login/Join 
posted
Bought a 2 liter charred barrel. Bought some Wild Turkey 101 and will age it for at least 3 months in the barrel.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This is a thing people do? Ok.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Not only will they re age it in their own private barrels, some also infuse it for other flavors

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I age it in glass for about 5 seconds.

Any longer and the atmosphere is getting high on my nickel...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I give up. What movie?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I give up. What movie?

An area for discussing common interests--Film, literature, music and hobbies.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

No, you simply have happy angels in your house.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
some also infuse it for other flavors

Of course, at that point it is no longer bourbon.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
some also infuse it for other flavors

Of course, at that point it is no longer bourbon.

I'm just trying to smooth out a young bourbon. If this makes any difference, this could be fun.

Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I'm just trying to smooth out a young bourbon. If this makes any difference, this could be fun.

The reaging isn't necessarily a bad thing and won't change the definition. In fact, I believe that is what Maker's Mark does with their Maker's 46. They reage with additional staves in the barrels.

The addition of additional flavors (infusing), though, means by definition it is no longer bourbon.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:

The reaging isn't necessarily a bad thing and won't change the definition. In fact, I believe that is what Maker's Mark does with their Maker's 46. They reage with additional staves in the barrels.

The addition of additional flavors (infusing), though, means by definition it is no longer bourbon.

Basically Makers drains a barrel, adds French Oak staves and puts the bourbon back into the original barrels. They let it sit for 9 weeks and Makers 46 comes out.

posted Hide Post
Don't know if you've done this before or not so I urge caution and vigilance. You'e going to lose a decent amount to the angels over three months and what's left is going to take on a whole lot of barrel character which may or may not suit your taste. You'll likely end up with a harsher overly oaked mess. I'd taste weekly and weigh the barrel too. The tiny barrels are much better tools for finishing a decent whiskey with port or sherry or barrel aging a cocktail. They rarely, as in almost never, make whatever went into them better on its own. It's a fun experiment but you're probably going to get an undrinkable mess that tastes like you're making out with an oak tree.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Don't know if you've done this before or not so I urge caution and vigilance. You'e going to lose a decent amount to the angels over three months and what's left is going to take on a whole lot of barrel character which may or may not suit your taste. You'll likely end up with a harsher overly oaked mess. I'd taste weekly and weigh the barrel too. The tiny barrels are much better tools for finishing a decent whiskey with port or sherry or barrel aging a cocktail. They rarely, as in almost never, make whatever went into them better on its own. It's a fun experiment but you're probably going to get an undrinkable mess that tastes like you're making out with an oak tree.

We're only talking about $40 in bourbon. I'm going to roll the barrel once a month and move it to the barn to get some heat and go from there. If it tastes like crap, I'll give it to friends.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

We're only talking about $40 in bourbon. I'm going to roll the barrel once a month and move it to the barn to get some heat and go from there. If it tastes like crap, I'll give it to friends.

How much volume is $40? I paid $49 for a 750 ml bottle in Louisville, KY that I filled myself. Did I get ripped off???

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I give up. What movie?

An area for discussing common interests--Film, literature, music and hobbies.

I guess sarcasm isn't included. Wink

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I thought ageing was something that took years, not weeks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
an undrinkable mess that tastes like you're making out with an oak tree.

Heyyy that sounds like my first taste of whisky ever.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It generally does, but the thought is higher surface contact with the wood accelerates the process. It's a common method for accelerating aging among the craft bourbon makers looking to generate cash flow quicker than 6-15 years. Problem is surface contact is not all it takes. It also requires heat/cold cycling to drive the white dog between the staves where the wood was carmelized during the charring process, then suck it back.

I have a small barrel and filled it with Ancient Ancient Age on Jan 1 this year in an attempt to do the same thing the OP is. I then "aged" it for 4 months. I did this over the winter, and unfortunately didn't have the ability to provide big hot cold temperature swings. Is it different than when it started? Yes. Is it better? Probably yes. Some of the harsher aspects of a cheap bourbon have been mellowed, but there is a wet woody quality that is a little odd. I do not think it's much more complex than it was.

Perhaps it could have stayed in there a bit longer, but my fear was passing a point of no return where it became worse than where It started. I plan to try again, using the summer heat to my advantage, and I think a higher ABV, maybe something overer 50%, might be worth trying well.

These little barrels are mighty expensive. Mine was a gift from my FIL and was about $125. My general thought for the price of the barrel and the cheap bourbon to go inside, I could have bought a fair amount of really nice bourbon.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

As jigray3 said, not only does surface area play a big role but the temp. differential pulling the whiskey into and out of the barrel. Craft makers in Oregon are aging as little as 6 months, 2-3 years is long for them. The temp. swings in their warehouses are a lot different than a cellar in Scotland!

I'd like to get a barrel to age select home brews in, haven't pulled the trigger mostly due to cost and I don't know where I'd put it. I guess it could look "decorative" so it doesn't need to be hidden away somewhere.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post