SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Watchmen, best comic film?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Watchmen, best comic film? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
The hollyweirds are intent on making every single comic in existence into film.
There have been many poor attempts. HBO is playing the Watchmen this month. I haven't seen it since it was in the theater. I was reminded quickly how good this film is. Dr. Strange, the first Thor film, the Nolan/Bale Batman Trilogy; and the first two Reeves Superman films are my favorites but the Watchmen makes a compelling case for the genre. Such a great cast, script, and directing. And Malin Ackerman is on fire. If you can get past the gratuitous Dr. Manhattan penis shots the film is excellent. It reminded me why Snyder got to direct the Man of Steel Superman reboot, as well as the sequel and upcoming Justice League films. The directing in the Watchmen is excellent and a cut above the rest.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It's has a lot of critics but I love this movie. Very well done.

The Dark Knight is still the best comic book movie to me, but Watchmen was damn good

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Watchmen is okay. I was glad it was rated R. Most comic movies (and comic books) lack the grit and harshness I desire from my storytelling. I am not a fan of Zack Snyder, but he did a decent job with Watchmen, though I did miss the giant squid monster warping into NY like in the book.

Because I'm not big into superheroes, I prefer my comic movie adaptations more like: Ghost World, Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, Oldboy (original Korean version), Akira, The Crow, and Sin City. I like those kinds of comic movies. No superheroes.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Watchmen is okay. I was glad it was rated R. Most comic movies (and comic books) lack the grit and harshness I desire from my storytelling. I am not a fan of Zack Snyder, but he did a decent job with Watchmen, though I did miss the giant squid monster warping into NY like in the book.

Because I'm not big into superheroes, I prefer my comic movie adaptations more like: Ghost World, Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, Oldboy (original Korean version), Akira, The Crow, and Sin City. I like those kinds of comic movies. No superheroes.

I thought the trade paperbook was fantastic, and really liked the movie,

I have seen and agree with most of your choices,

I did think the Dark Knight Series was excellent,

most of the superhero movies involve some superhero saving the world by killing the populace of the entire town,, (superman, for example)

as an afterthought, I enjoyed the Iron Man first few movies,

have not seen may of the newer movies to say

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The Watchman was good, but not outstanding. To my disappointment, it did not follow the novel towards the end, but it was still watchable.

IMO, The Dark Knight is still the best "comic" film, largely because one tends to forget that it is about a comic "superhero", and more about being an excellent crime drama epic. To me, Batman was a believable human story, and The Joker was more of a deranged psychopathic terrorist instead of a "super villain". I also think Sin City is up there too.

I am not too enthralled with the Marvel stuff, even though the first Iron Man was entertaining enough.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The trade paperback of the Watchmen is fantastic, and the film is pretty good, too.

But I agree that the Dark Knight is the best film adaptation I've ever seen.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Watchmen was a perfect movie adaptation. Rorschach was so badass.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The scene where Rorschach recalls encountering the child killer is so disturbing. Jackie Earle Haley, and Matthew Goode as Ozymandias, made that movie great.

"Men get arrested. Dogs get put down."

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jackie Earle Haley

His entire performance was very good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I agree, when it comes to super-hero comic adaptations, The Watchmen really is the best. Most of the recent run of Marvel films just don't do it for me. Plus really, how many reiterations of Spiderman do we need?

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I think the superman from the 80's was pretty good considering the cgi technology was not even a fraction of what it is now.

DC should revisit superman with 3 or 4 movies. The last two were okay but crammed too much in them. It should have allowed for some development over a series of films.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Watchmen was probably responsible for a slew of other "not so super" hero movies like Kick-Ass, Super, and Defendor being made. It's easier to relate to those characters.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I liked that Watchmen did not gut the story to rake in the PG-13 bucks like, The Spirit.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sincityboy
posted Hide Post
Watchmen is such a difficult story to compress into one movie, but I agree some of the moments in the film just nail the original material (most notably Jackie Earle Haley).

As far as my personal favorite films based on comics, I'd probably pick Kingsman/Secret Service, Dredd (Karl Urban), and the Crow.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vero8:
I liked that Watchmen did not gut the story to rake in the PG-13 bucks like, The Spirit.

I do love The Spirit, though, in that guilty pleasure sort of way. Very entertaining, and Scarlett looks good as a bad girl.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sincityboy:
Watchmen is such a difficult story to compress into one movie, but I agree some of the moments in the film just nail the original material (most notably Jackie Earle Haley).

As far as my personal favorite films based on comics, I'd probably pick Kingsman/Secret Service, Dredd (Karl Urban), and the Crow.

Dredd was good. Would love a sequel

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never read the comic but enjoyed the movie. The cast was good together.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post