SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie" USS Indianapolis, Men of Courage"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie" USS Indianapolis, Men of Courage" Login/Join 
posted
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2032572/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Has anyone seen this? The link says it opened Oct 14, but I have not seen it playing around me (Davenport IA). The reviews on the link are not real positive.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Apparently straight to video.

AppleTV has it to rent for $5.99. Might check it out this weekend.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Hunter Scott

A 12 yo middle school student in Pensacola, Hunter Scott, started the drive to pardon the skipper.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Nick Cage is in it? I know he needs the money, but pass. Isn't there a better version in the works that this movie was trying to beat to the screen?

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom Sizemore AND Nick Cage??

Eek Big Grin

Not destined to be a blockbuster.

Which stinks because that is an incredible piece of maritime history.

====================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
McVay was posthumously exonerated by the 106th United States Congress and President Bill Clinton on October 30, 2000.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Not destined to be a blockbuster.

For good reason. It was horrible. Really horrible.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Directed by Mario Van Peebles. That's three strikes.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigActual
posted Hide Post
Just watched it on Netflix, Micheal Moore should have played the captain, it would have made more sense. A very poor treatment of the USS Indianapolis.
Liberal revisionism and crap acting

Stay in the Fight!

Posts: 623 | Location: South Florida | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigActual:
Just watched it on Netflix, Micheal Moore should have played the captain, it would have made more sense. A very poor treatment of the USS Indianapolis.

Can you summarize the revisionism for those of us now likely to never watch it?

The Indie has always fascinated me. Too bad they will never make a decent movie of it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I think Tom Sizemore is a pretty good actor. I tried to watch this movie and it was pretty mediocre though.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason I watched the entire movie.
I was rewarded with footage of the rescue and two survivors talking about the sinking.
Otherwise it was a low budget stinker.

SIGmond the Sea Monster
(apologies to Sid and Marty Krofft)

Posts: 2300 | Location: Washington (The state, not D.C.) | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Liberal revisionism
...and strike four.

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigActual
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

The Indie has always fascinated me. Too bad they will never make a decent movie of it.

- a scene with a cruel white officer making the brothers stay in shark infested water while he sat on a raft(never happened in reality)
- a scene with a corp America CEO cackling about how the war was good for biz (never happened in reality)
- The concerned and misunderstood Japanese submarine capt(never happened in reality)
- Kaitain mini sub attack, (never happened in reality)
- some lame side story about some poor slob sailor falling for rich girl, daddy disapproves yada yada, yawn
Stopped watching halfway was too painful

Stay in the Fight!

Posts: 623 | Location: South Florida | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will pass.

I was hesitant because of Nicholas Cage. Although he hasn't done anything worth watching in many years, I was intrigued because it is such an incredible story. What a shame that it sounds like they've done such a disservice to this event.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6394 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

- a scene with a cruel white officer making the brothers stay in shark infested water while he sat on a raft(never happened in reality)
- a scene with a corp America CEO cackling about how the war was good for biz (never happened in reality)
- The concerned and misunderstood Japanese submarine capt(never happened in reality)
- some lame side story about some poor slob sailor falling for rich girl, daddy disapproves yada yada, yawn

So, apart from those minor quibbles, it was historically correct in every way, right? Like 'Braveheart' or 'The Patriot'?

Or 'Revenge of the Vampire Killer nazi nun zombies of Atlantis'?

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, apart from those minor quibbles, it was historically correct in every way, right? Like 'Braveheart' or 'The Patriot'?

tac

I think the key is that Braveheart and Patriot were entertaining, so they get some leeway. I tried to watch this film, just couldn't keep going.

Vampire Killer nazi nun zombies of Atlantis, eh? Sounds intriguing Wink

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Is there a character named Quint in it?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
" Anyway ... we delivered the bomb." ---Quint

" Anyway ... we delivered a bomb." ---Peebles

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Tac, I wouldn't call those 'minor' quibbles. It sounds like they turned this movie into yet ANOTHER example of hollywood PC garbage, instead of making a legitimate attempt to tell the story of these brave men who died for their country. I am VERY picky when it comes to war movies, as military history is a passion of mine. Abominations like 'pearl harbor' and 'U-571' are horrible examples of just how bad hollywood can get. On the positive side is the Band of Brothers saga (with all the others falling somewhere in between these extremes of goodness and infamy). That one PROVED they could still make good war movies; they just prefer not to, instead falling back on their usual race-baiting and screwing around with the historical record in an attempt to make it more 'interesting' and more consistent with their values (those types rarely value the heroism, courage, and determination the story of the Indianapolis represent).

I liked Braveheart (yeah, I know, Scots didn't wear kilts back then) and The Patriot (the Brits, in particular, took offense at the character of Col Tavington, the eevil cavalry officer, because he was based on a real life character who did NOT perpetrate war crimes all across the colonies), knowing they played fast and loose with history. I can let those slide, but WWII hits closer to home for me, as that is my primary interest focus for military history. I suppose I 'know too much' to really enjoy most war movies.

Our standards for tolerating historical deviances appear very different, though, if you consider the above examples 'minor' deviances from the historical record.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post