SIGforum
André the Giant documentary.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/1550014044

April 12, 2018, 08:31 PM
ElToro
André the Giant documentary.
Anybody see this yet ? I watched it last night. Was worth the hour or so. Kinda sad overall with all his physical and emotional pain
https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/andre-the-giant
April 12, 2018, 10:13 PM
mdblanton
I watched it twice this week. Brought back a lot of fond memories. Thought it was well done and I enjoyed seeing the performers out of character. Ironic that he was surrounded by so many people all the time but seemed to feel all alone. I’d never even considered that he was too large for the restroom on international airliners.

Michael
April 12, 2018, 10:24 PM
smschulz
Saw it last night late, it was pretty interesting.
April 12, 2018, 10:47 PM
corsair
Heard an interview with Bill Simmons this AM talking about this doc. He eventually touched on Andre's challenges using the bathroom, on an airplane and in Japan. One of the segments he revealed which didn't make it on film (too graphic) was how in Japan, the hotel bathroom was too small for him to use, so, they had him relive himself (#2) onto a comforter Eek, bag-it-up, then they'd take it away.
April 13, 2018, 10:43 AM
rusbro
I haven't watched it, but heard a segment about it on local sports radio. It did sound interesting, but somewhat sad.

Amazing claims about the amount of alcohol that guy would consume.

The story about how he handed the mantle to Hulk Hogan was really good. Even though it's fake, Hogan kinda had to earn it when Andre told him "body slam."

April 13, 2018, 11:31 AM
phxtoad
"I am the brute squad"

"Anybody want a peanut?"

He was great in the Princess Bride.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"
April 13, 2018, 03:41 PM
brecaidra
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
"I am the brute squad"

"Anybody want a peanut?"

He was great in the Princess Bride.

Todd

I remember seeing an interview with Robin Wright where she was talking about how much pain Andre was in from the toll wrestling had taken on his body. In the scene near the end of the movie where he catches her and holds her, she was wearing wires because even though she barely weighed 100 pounds he couldn't lift her.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven
April 14, 2018, 02:22 AM
Rey HRH
The majority of wrestlers end up broken financially, physically, and emotionally.
The exceptions are just that, exceptions.

They pay a lot for that fame.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
April 15, 2018, 11:58 AM
lyman
watched most of this a few nights ago,

very interesting,

I knew about some of the regional groups, (watched Mid Atlantic Wrasslin as a kid) but did not know how WWF/WWE scooped them all up,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

April 27, 2018, 01:49 PM
JSW
quote:
It did sound interesting, but somewhat sad.

That's the feeling I had after watching it.

Wilsonblog
April 28, 2018, 07:55 AM
molachi
I thought it was really well done. I'm sure the pain he was in constantly took a toll on him mentally as well physically.