SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Trailer for Dunkirk
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Trailer for Dunkirk Login/Join 
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Saw Rogue One in IMAX Friday night, there was one trailer before it which was a few minutes worth of Dunkirk. To say it looks amazing is simply an understatement. seriously, can't wait to see this and will watch it in IMAX.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LINVS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by LINVS:
It doesn't become American history until 1941.

America was involved in WW2 well before December 7th, 1941.

quote:
We spend far to much time worried about other folks business.

World history is our history. You can't just try to view it through a lens of "America only", ignoring the rest. It's all interconnected.

quote:
Even in 1941, if we had sat out the war in Europe, a lot of our grandfathers would have lived.

Our entry into the war against Germany was inevitable, and absolutely necessary. Sitting it out wasn't an option.

Yeah, that's what they teach in your local public school.

Fine young Americans didn't start getting drafted and killed in spades until after Dec 9, 1941 - to the tune of half a million.

This country has bleed far too much on foreign shores.

The war with Germany wasn't inevitable or necessary. Germany never attacked us. They had no real intention of invading the USA. Even Britain could have made a deal to end the war.

Even the war with Japan could have been avoided with a little bit of competent diplomacy. We didn't have to criticize every thing Japan did and react with embargoes. That was only a good way to start a war.

The whole power vacuum that the post war period ushered in resulted in our Cold War which was pretty hot considering all the Americans who had to die in Korea and Vietnam - not to mention all the money it cost us.

America for Americans!

Posts: 2165 | Location: SoCal | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
While you're bashing public education, you ought to consider doing a better job of educating yourself.

The draft started in September 1940, over a year prior to Pearl Harbor. We already knew we were going to have to fight eventually.

For over a year prior to the official declaration of war against Germany, the US had already proven to be right about the least neutral "neutral" country in the world. Rather, we were heavily supportive of the Allies. Since 1940, we had been supplying them with large amount of war material and military technology. We had already deployed troops overseas in the ETO in mid-1941, sending fine young American troops to occupying places like Greenland and Iceland in order to prevent them from falling into German hands. And our Navy and merchant marine had been in direct conflict with German naval vessels in the Atlantic since early 1941. All this was taking place well prior to our official entry into the war against Germany.

In addition, you seem to be forgetting it was Germany that was first to declared war on us on December 11th, 1941. We had only initially declared war against Japan alone.

Most importantly, despite your claim to the contrary, the Nazis had made it abundantly clear that their eventual aim was a conflict with the United States. Hitler had been preaching that since the 1920s, and included a discussion of these aims in his follow-up book to Mein Kampf, and in his personal notes and correspondence. The Luftwaffe had been planning for a long-range bomber that could reach North America since the late 1930s; it was even called the "Amerika Bomber". The Kriegsmarine was already planning for a massive naval expansion that would allow them to dominate the Atlantic and expand their empire into the Americas, once Europe was pacified. (They also planned to be bolstered by the Royal Navy, once Britain capitulated and joined the Reich.)

So even if we had for some reason ignored Germany's declaration of war on us and merely sat out the war in Europe like you're suggesting, Germany and the US were going to be at war eventually. All that waiting would have done is give Germany time to defeat Russia and Britain, so that when they rounded on us, we would have been fighting alone against the full brunt of all the resources of a unified German Reich.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
It doesn't become American history until 1941.

America was involved in WW2 well before December 7th, 1941.

quote:
We spend far to much time worried about other folks business.

World history is our history. You can't just try to view it through a lens of "America only", ignoring the rest. It's all interconnected.

quote:
Even in 1941, if we had sat out the war in Europe, a lot of our grandfathers would have lived.

Our entry into the war against Germany was inevitable, and absolutely necessary. Sitting it out wasn't an option.

Yeah, that's what they teach in your local public school.

Fine young Americans didn't start getting drafted and killed in spades until after Dec 9, 1941 - to the tune of half a million.

This country has bleed far too much on foreign shores.

The war with Germany wasn't inevitable or necessary. Germany never attacked us. They had no real intention of invading the USA. Even Britain could have made a deal to end the war.

Even the war with Japan could have been avoided with a little bit of competent diplomacy. We didn't have to criticize every thing Japan did and react with embargoes. That was only a good way to start a war.

The whole power vacuum that the post war period ushered in resulted in our Cold War which was pretty hot considering all the Americans who had to die in Korea and Vietnam - not to mention all the money it cost us.

Maybe it is just my public school education talking here, but I cannot even begin to understand how anyone who has studied WWII and the events leading up to it could come to the conclusion that war with Germany was not inevitable or necessary. I am also curious as to what kind of a deal you think Britain could have made with Hitler that would have ended the war. What would the terms of this deal have been? Neville Chamberlain might have been naive enough to believe that Hitler could be dealt with through diplomatic means, but thank goodness Winston Churchill was not.

As far as the actual topic of this thread is concerned.....Yeah, this movie looks amazing. I am really looking forward to it.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I guess I thought Atonement was a chick flick. Is it worth seeing? And yes, I saw the trailer to Dunkirk, and immediately knew I was going to see it, that trailer looks awesome.

Linvs, I highly recommend you check out "The Wars for Asia, 1911-1949" by S.C.M. Paine. It makes it obvious that Japan's strategic blunders in China made the regional, and later, world, wars inevitable. A lack of American Embargos couldn't sake Japan's thirst for resources in the giant suck that was China's civil war (one deftly exacerbated by Russian meddling). That book gives a great perspective of the Pacific from a non-American-centric angle. Not everything is about the US. Foreign states have agency too, a lesson I wish Barry have learned 8 years ago...

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
New one just posted. It looks incredible.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_cmgiys2n1o

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
That looks bloody damn fantastic. Even worked in the refrain "wheres the bloody damn airforce?".

One of those finest hours Churchill spoke about despite incredibly inept leadership during the phony war.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I want those to be real Spitfires. For once no gci. I am asking for alot.

Was that a Bristol Beaufighter in there? Cool if it was.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I want those to be real Spitfires. For once no gci. I am asking for alot.

Was that a Bristol Beaufighter in there? Cool if it was.

They are real. See here: Dunkirk – Filming the Aerial Scenes for the Epic Movie

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
That looks great!

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post