Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2020 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The convenience of COTA being just a couple hours away makes it an easy choice.

Have any of you done F1 at COTA? Curious how the crowd compares for a GP weekend.

First time, may just look at Gen Adm & wander. Weather depending, might ride in from Houston.
Have family in N Austin, so lodging's covered.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think will happen with Dovi in 2021?

Will he go to Aprilia?
Sit the season out and wait for a better seat to open up?
Ducati doesn’t value him (their loss honestly)
Yamaha doesn’t have room
Suzuki satellite team or test rider? (Satellite team is unlikely next year but who knows)

What’s your prediction?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
As it stands today, he takes Iannone's seat or sits out 2021 in MotoGP. He loves Supercross so I wouldn't be surprised to see him race here next year for one season while his manager works to get him a contract for 2022 in MotoGP.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nothing on TV caught my eye the last 2 nights
Noticed my DVR recorded WSBK, I'm guessing it got grouped in with GP recording.

Watched the race(s) at Magny-Cours, entertaining, but not like watching GP.
Interesting to see the Kawi dominance there, wonder why they don't field a GP team?

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Main reason is $$$$.

It takes a ton of investment to race in MotoGP. If you want to to win that’s even more money. If you want to win a championship you have to be prepared to get your ass kicked hard for a few years and look terrible as you slowly progress in the top tier of motorcycle racing. All while spending copious amounts of money and seeing little return for your investment for a few years at least.

Kawasaki prefers to dominate the minor league and get concessions whenever another manufacturer gets fast. I wish they would value prototype racing and have the guts to try and go up against the best again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I figured $$ was the driving factor.
SBK looks a lot closer to street/production bikes.

There's times where I've got to pay a bit more attention on GP to figure out what the bike is.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
SBK is supposed to be based off production motorcycles but that’s sort of a lie. If someone like Ducati does their homework and builds a fantastic street bike specifically for the purpose of racing in WSBK and they start to win Kawasaki & their dipshit rider will bitch ENDLESSLY and get concessions (limited revs) placed on the competition.

I lost all respect for and interest in WSBK. It’s Kawasaki’s race series where they pat themselves on the back and try to feel good about the fact that they can’t hack it in the big leagues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
SBK is supposed to be based off production motorcycles but that’s sort of a lie. If someone like Ducati does their homework and builds a fantastic street bike specifically for the purpose of racing in WSBK and they start to win Kawasaki & their dipshit rider will bitch ENDLESSLY and get concessions (limited revs) placed on the competition.

I lost all respect for and interest in WSBK. It’s Kawasaki’s race series where they pat themselves on the back and try to feel good about the fact that they can’t hack it in the big leagues.

Eek
Well that sucks.

Sounds like BOP in WEC & minimum time pit stops.
Kill the innovation & don't reward teamwork & practice.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Their (Kawasaki’s) rider referred to the new at that time wild and high revving Ducati endlessly as a “cheater bike” because of its power and revs. Never mind the fact that Ducati acquired that advantage legally by doing the hard work and building a completely mental street bike. The guy mouths off occasionally about racing in MotoGP. I’d love to see it happen...I wonder if his ego could survive such a lethal dose of reality. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Le Mans is looking cold and possibly wet race day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d love to see it happen...I wonder if his ego could survive such a lethal dose of reality. Big Grin

Rea would fold quicker than a cheap lawn chair. It cracks me up when I see people that say he's soooooooooo great and would stomp the field in Moto GP. Scott Redding (marginal in Moto GP at best) is his closest rival currently. Throw Dovi (which is possible) or any of the top 10 at Rea in WSBK and watch the waterworks. WSBK is akin to watching paint dry for me. Kawasaki rules the series and they know their niche well which is why they'll never come back to the majors with a GP team (money or not).

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their (Kawasaki’s) rider referred to the new at that time wild and high revving Ducati endlessly as a “cheater bike” because of its power and revs. Never mind the fact that Ducati acquired that advantage legally by doing the hard work and building a completely mental street bike. The guy mouths off occasionally about racing in MotoGP. I’d love to see it happen...I wonder if his ego could survive such a lethal dose of reality. Big Grin

Nothing new man. Over 20 years ago they’d bitch incessantly about Ducati’s VTwin having a displacement advantage. HRC was the only one to really do anything about it and built the VTR-1000SP1 and whipped Ducati the first year of production. The Ducati crying is decades old.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well Suzuki looked awful in qualifying once again. Ugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hey Rainman, As we wait for MotoGP I have to ask..... what are ya thinking about the new Ducati scoot? Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
ROFL
Has a front swingarm like a Bimota.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What a race! It was looking like a Ducati shut out for a minute there. Rins dammit! he is fun to watch but the corner speed of the Suzuki makes it difficult to battle the V4 Ducatis that will just pass you right back on the straights. Crashing out of 2nd place has to feel bad.

That battle between Quartararo, Mav & Mir was fun at the end of the race.

Bravo Alex Márquez!!!!!! That was a brilliantly fought race and hard earned 2nd place finish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The last 10 laps was great.
Sorry to see the Suzuki drop when running so well, he made some great passes.

Crazy to see AM at the top, when it doesn't seem like long ago he was fighting for scraps. Weather slowing the field a bit play into his hands?

3-5 more laps & it might've been mixed up even more.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rins was on Medium tires. All he had to do was be a bit more patient and he would have had a great shot at winning that race. I believe the rest of the pack at the front was on soft tires. Dovi’s tires were shot by the end. He is aggressive but Rins needs to be smart. Then again given his staring position it was cool to see him fighting at the front.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
OMG

That scooter does look like it has a Bimota design.
LOL

I am sure it is only 20K!

I rode all day yesterday missed the race.
Dovi got third at least.

Sure would like to see him work back up before the 2021 season Ducati shoots itself in the foot again.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The last 10 laps was great.
Sorry to see the Suzuki drop when running so well, he made some great passes.

Crazy to see AM at the top, when it doesn't seem like long ago he was fighting for scraps. Weather slowing the field a bit play into his hands?

3-5 more laps & it might've been mixed up even more.

Rain always shakes up the order.