New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2020 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Wow, looks like FMs Yamaha's tail missed Rossi's nose by millimeters.

VR and his bike were supposedly covered in oil. Last time Rossi had that look on his face was after the red flag in Sepang 2011 Frown.

The Moto2 guys had a huge incident as well. Another miracle outcome that could have been so much worse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muEW5EwHl08

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looked up Sepang '11 Frown

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looked up Sepang '11 Frown

I got to hang out with him at Laguna just a few months prior to 10/23/2011. Really good kid, fearless, and my avatar ever since. I'm still waiting for Valentino too win at Misano, and fly the #58 flag on the cool down. I'd be in tears. You'll still see all the wigs worn by people to simulate Sic's hair. Hopefully Vale would wear one of those on the podium. I'll settle for the #58 flag. Sic was just a lion on the bike, loved his attitude and riding style.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I know supernatural stuff is frowned upon here but did anyone notice Rossi’s dash right after he and Mav cleared the bikes? The speedo was climbing from the 30’s-40’s and just jumps straight to 58 in a different color. Maverick is #12, Rossi is #46 it’s crazy that their numbers combined are Simoncelli’s race number.

Odd coincidences for sure. I didn’t believe it until I went back and watched the onboard video.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I know supernatural stuff is frowned upon here but did anyone notice Rossi’s dash right after he and Mav cleared the bikes? The speedo was climbing from the 30’s-40’s and just jumps straight to 58 in a different color. Maverick is #12, Rossi is #46 it’s crazy that their numbers combined are Simoncelli’s race number.

Odd coincidences for sure. I didn’t believe it until I went back and watched the onboard video.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
https://www.crash.net/motogp/n...er-austrian-accident

Johann Zarco to undergo surgery on Wednesday after a wrist fracture is discovered. Will return to Austria on Thursday for 'a meeting about the big incident' in Sunday's MotoGP race and hopes to be fit enough to ride this weekend.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Gents, can you explain to me what’s going on with Yamaha? I read that they are having valve issues but will need permission to “unseal” the engine. How does this process transpire? Who do they get permission from? Is it likely to happen?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Gents, can you explain to me what’s going on with Yamaha? I read that they are having valve issues but will need permission to “unseal” the engine. How does this process transpire? Who do they get permission from? Is it likely to happen?

Autosport article on a bit of it.
Sounds like other teams have to agree/consent to allowing 'development' of the engine.

https://www.autosport.com/moto...after-mechanical-woe

quote:

Yamaha has made a request to all MotoGP manufacturers to unseal its engines on safety grounds following a series of mechanical issues, Autosport has learned.

Autosport first revealed last month that Yamaha had sent an engine from Valentino Rossi and Maverick Vinales' allocation back to Japan following the Spanish Grand Prix for inspection after the former was forced to retire with an issue.

Autosport understands the issue was found to relate to the inline four-cylinder engine's valve system.

At the following week's Andalusian GP at Jerez, Franco Morbidelli was forced to retire while battling for the podium because of a similar issue to Rossi's.

That unit was removed from his allocation, with Dorna Sports' official engine allocation sheets revealing that both Vinales and Morbidelli have used all five of their allocation already.

Fabio Quartararo and Rossi have used four engines so far, with all but Quartararo having one withdrawn from their allocation for the year.

Due to being a non-concession manufacturer, Yamaha is only permitted to run five engines this year instead of the seven KTM and Aprilia are able to use.

Non-concession manufacturers are not permitted to develop their engines through a season - though no manufacturers are allowed to in 2020 as part of cost-saving measures amid the coronavirus crisis.

Autosport has learned, as a result of these engine issues, Yamaha riders have been running with reduced revs since Jerez.

On Thursday, Yamaha called a meeting of the Manufacturers' Association to request it be allowed to unseal its engines on safety grounds.

This reasoning has been met with scepticism by the other manufacturers, who will now analyse the case before taking a final decision.

Yamaha currently sits first and second in the riders' world championship, with Quartararo leading Vinales by 17 points following back-to-back wins at Jerez and a seventh at Brno.

The Japanaese marque also leads the constructors' standings after the Czech GP by 26 points from KTM.

Morbidelli was top Yamaha runner in Friday practice for the Austrian GP in fifth, with Quartararo 10th and both works team Yamahas facing a potential Q1 fight should FP3 be wet after ending Friday 11th and 13th.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It requires universal MSMA sign off. It’s to fix a part for reliability not for performance. It’s a legit request but out of all the MSMA members Ducati won’t sign off.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Word out of the paddock is the riders are pissed, not just those involved. They are calling him careless and they do not trust him. He has a long history of this sort of thing and the riders are just tired of it and raising hell. Telemetry shows that he took Franco’s line and jammed on the brakes leaving Morbidelli no where to go and no pavement to brake. It’s referred to a brake check among the riders but it does not mean what it means to us. It is taking someone’s line then laying into the brakes leaving the rider no where to go. I have had it done to me on the track and it required me to run off the track, brake in the grass, and I was lucky to not crash. It is very frowned upon and referred to as a grey area as far as the rules are concerned. It’s an unwritten rule that you do not do and dirty as fuck. When it happened to me I chewed some ass.

Zarco has discovered that he has a fracture in his scaphoid. Similar to the injury of Cal. He is having surgery in Modena tomorrow.

Thursday he has to be back at Spielberg for a meeting with race direction. They have called it after listening to many rider complaints. Zarco is sure to get some stern words from Freddie Spencer and Loris Capirossi that this will not be tolerated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Zarco has discovered that he has a fracture in his scaphoid. Similar to the injury of Cal. He is having surgery in Modena tomorrow.

Thursday he has to be back at Spielberg for a meeting with race direction. They have called it after listening to many rider complaints. Zarco is sure to get some stern words from Freddie Spencer and Loris Capirossi that this will not be tolerated.

Loris and Freddie will rip him a new one.
I wouldn't want to ride with a dangerous idiot like that.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes..... Rip into the frenchmen!!!!! Never liked Pol either...He needs to get a hold of himself after looking like an ass throwing that tantrum after riders could of been killed.

Hey Stick , When you getting that Gixxer...2021 Smile

Posts: 91 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
KTMADV, I don’t know when/if Suzuki is going to offer us the version I want. When the Tokyo motorcycle show was canceled earlier this year then made digital they showcased this and my jaw dropped.

Ernst Degner’s 1962 championship winning Suzuki RM62

This is such a cool pic!

These colors mean a lot to hardcore Suzuki fans. It’s not just a 100th anniversary edition. They are the throwback colors of Suzuki’s first Motorcycle Grand Prix championship winning machine.

I have A TON of project bikes in cue currently, in fact I was recently given another one believe it or not by a friend for free (a Suzuki GS750) including my first track bike so the only way I kick off WWIII with the wife and bring a new Gixxer home is if it has those colors. It’s been a crazy year but my hope is that Suzuki offers that color scheme this year or early next year. It isn’t on their website and I have found very little info on that exact model so far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Those Suzukis do look good & they hide the aero better than the others. Makes the bikes look more svelte.

Do not like the aero mustaches on these bikes.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They need to offer a production version of their GP motor like Yamaha does. Suzuki uses some sort of crossplane as they have copied Yamaha in this area. Now that would make for a cool GSXR1000. Honda and Suzuki just make traditional inlines. Honda, for one, would sell every V4 Fireblade they could make but they refuse to do it. Damn shame. Aprilia, Ducati, and Yamaha all offer production bikes with production engines based on their GP engines. Would be a great motorcycle market to see other mfr’s do this. I’d love to see a KTM RC9 with a V4. There is a reason no GP bike uses a traditional inline 4.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing here. But:

Honda, Ducati, KTM, Aprilia - V4
Suzuki, Yamaha - I4

Or do you mean the crossplane is non-traditional?

posted Hide Post
That 100th anniversary paint is a looker. Speaking of GS projects, you need a barn find Wes Cooley GS1000 Smile

Posts: 91 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
He is referring to the GSX-R1000’s flat plane crank and saying he would like to see Suzuki offer an engine more inline (pardon the pun) with the cross plane crank GSX-RR from MotoGP.

The cross plane crank inline 4 mimics the firing order, power delivery/engine pulse characteristics of a V4. Why go through the trouble? An I4 has superior corner speed due to its engine and frame architecture. The disadvantage of the I4 is it’s loss of top end power and peak HP.

That I4’s superior corner speed is what helped Suzuki & Rins to get the best of MM. Silverstone has a sharp sweeping turn right before the checkered flag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Watch the next race and play attention to how the GSX-RR’s of Mir and Rins will threaten and close the gap in the corners. Then watch the Ducati’s turn on the afterburners on the straights and pass them. It makes for some incredibly entertaining racing. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yup, would be a wicked bike. I’ve been riding my crossplane Yamaha for 10 years now. In many ways I like it better than my V4’s and I’ve been riding V4’s for over 20 years and still own one of them. The crossplane in my R1 fires at the same intervals as a 90 degree V4. Always a power pulse on the rear tower so out of corners, it just hooks up. Suzuki makes their GSXR a crossplane, sales will instantly increase. Yamaha used the crossplane for 5 years before offering it in a production bike. Suzuki may just be following suit. Sure would rub Honda’s nose in it if Suzuki does it also.