New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2020 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
They need to offer a production version of their GP motor like Yamaha does. Suzuki uses some sort of crossplane as they have copied Yamaha in this area. Now that would make for a cool GSXR1000. Honda and Suzuki just make traditional inlines. Honda, for one, would sell every V4 Fireblade they could make but they refuse to do it. Damn shame. Aprilia, Ducati, and Yamaha all offer production bikes with production engines based on their GP engines. Would be a great motorcycle market to see other mfr’s do this. I’d love to see a KTM RC9 with a V4. There is a reason no GP bike uses a traditional inline 4.

I was doing a little recon on the 2021 RR-R Fireblade and just noticed Euro was 225HP and we get a watered down 188HP. Yeah, Suzuki needs a GP production. I'm liking the R1M....

Posts: 91 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, would be a wicked bike. I’ve been riding my crossplane Yamaha for 10 years now. In many ways I like it better than my V4’s and I’ve been riding V4’s for over 20 years and still own one of them. The crossplane in my R1 fires at the same intervals as a 90 degree V4. Always a power pulse on the rear tower so out of corners, it just hooks up. Suzuki makes their GSXR a crossplane, sales will instantly increase. Yamaha used the crossplane for 5 years before offering it in a production bike. Suzuki may just be following suit. Sure would rub Honda’s nose in it if Suzuki does it also.

That would be cool if you have a Rossi Replica R1.

Posts: 91 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Going by it’s sound alone Suzuki appears to be using some kind of cross plane engine but they are keeping the details damn close to the chest and won’t even comment on the firing order or confirm that the engine is even cross plane.

I love technical stuff and have looked for info on the GSX-RR’s engine but most articles published tend to focus on its centrifugal driven VVT and how it managed to skirt the rules on MotoGP’s ban on certain types of variable valve timing.

Honestly, I think the powers that be at MotoGP realized even with that brilliant design that was made specifically to take advantage of the way the rules were written the Suzuki would still be down on power compared to the Honda and Ducati V4 machines. Maybe that’s why it never got much scrutiny from MotoGP.

The way Suzuki focused on the VVT and has been quiet about the engine internals does not bode well for the possibility we see a cross plane GSX-R street bike. If it was something they were considering I’d think they would be more open and maybe even offer up info on it or brag about the design as they did with the VVT. But who knows, maybe Suzuki will surprise us.

The Hayabusa will get a redesign before the GSX-R which puts the possibility of a new GSX-R off a few years. I did read about the VVT design changing on the street bike however.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KTMADV:

I do, and I got him to sign the bike. Have spare bodywork in 2010 White, spare engine, and all the stock parts. The frame, subframe, and bodywork are OEM. Most everything else is aftermarket. Full Ohlins front and rear. SATO adjustable dog bone. Brembo calipers, rotors, master cylinder, Full Leo Vince system with Ti cans, Graves Velocity stacks, ECU is flashed, and it’s tuned with Dynojet’s Autotune plugged in to make minute corrections to atmosphere, elevation, etc. I swapped the upper to the 2012 version a few years ago and had a custom number plate made.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Still love in white better because it’s more incognito when it’s time to break the law out in the country around the corners.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the Ducati MH900ie.

I know several people that own the Paul Smart replica.

In fact, Ryan Reynolds rides one.
The blue and silver is always sharp looking, even if I like red.

Prefontaine, keep rubbing that Rossi replica in my face man....
At least my Ducati has the, what shall I call it, the "Female Effect"?
Smile

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Didn’t buy it for looks. I had waited a decade for Honda to build a 1000cc V4 or V5. Then Yamaha beat their ass to the punch. I have owned many regular inline 4’s. Way prefer Vees and will never own a regular inline 4 again. The motor in the Yamaha is tits. I had a RC51 (SP2) and the Yamaha is better in every way. I may try to buy a 1299s if I don’t buy another manual transmission performance car but due to insurance I doubt it. When I had the 1299s quoted it was almost $200 a month for just it. All 3 of my bikes are $93 a month and that’s with $15k in additional coverage on the Yam for all my parts and 7k in parts on the Honda. Curious who you insure through. With the PWC and my autos I’m about at my limit with insurance. I don’t spend money eating out or hitting bars so my burn money is all in the garage but insurance is my Achilles heel. And I don’t have any tickets or accidents and have never made a motorcycle insurance claim in my life.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m with you on that. One of the reasons I love my fleet of older motos is how crazy cheap they are to insure. I was shocked at the quotes I was given on new sport bikes when I called around last year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Even lower end bikes are still pricey to insure.

I got quoted on a couple BMWs (F800R & G310R) and they were both higher than I expected.

Should've bought V-Tail's K75S when I had the chance. It was comparatively a bargain on insuring.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15152 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You would be surprised how the price drops as the age of the bike goes up.

Fun thing to do: ask your insurer the price to insure a brand new Ninja 400. Then ask them how much it cost to insure a 145 hp 1999 Yamaha R1. The variation between new bikes and old bikes in regards to insurance rates is wild. There are some absolutely MENTAL older machines you can insure at crazy low rates.

Performance wise my 1st generation R1 is shockingly close to the performance specs of the newest R6. The 600 is only a little down on torque. Now when you look at the price to insure the two machines it is as different as night and day. Sure the old R1 isn’t worth much but when you look at the risk involved and the sheer performance of the two machines it’s wild.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine

I use Progressive.
But My barn find bike is 10 years old now.
My 900SSie is a 2001.
So I get the cheap break.

But remember- bikes are ALWAYS cheaper than women.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

But remember- bikes are ALWAYS cheaper than women.

Oh yes, no doubt. Unless it's a rub and tug Wink

Mat posted this today:
https://www.motorsportmagazine...re-better-in-battles

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mat posted this today:
https://www.motorsportmagazine...re-better-in-battles

Excellent article!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That was a great article. I love how Mat delves into the technical aspects of each design and its strengths and weaknesses. I’d love to meet him one day and talk to him for a bit. I have so many questions I’d love to ask him. I have a book by him heading my way right now actually. Cool

“We have to play our cards because we know our bike isn’t the fastest on the grid but we have a good pace through corner speed and I feel great in braking,” said Mir in Austria.

I can’t wait for round two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KTMADV:

I do, and I got him to sign the bike. Have spare bodywork in 2010 White, spare engine, and all the stock parts. The frame, subframe, and bodywork are OEM. Most everything else is aftermarket. Full Ohlins front and rear. SATO adjustable dog bone. Brembo calipers, rotors, master cylinder, Full Leo Vince system with Ti cans, Graves Velocity stacks, ECU is flashed, and it’s tuned with Dynojet’s Autotune plugged in to make minute corrections to atmosphere, elevation, etc. I swapped the upper to the 2012 version a few years ago and had a custom number plate made.

Cool...And Rossi signed! You got the bike set up nice.Thanks for the pics and list of work done.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Imagine having a front row seat to this and then getting back on your bike and going back out to race. When I had a tank slapper on my R1 out in the country and nearly put my bike into the woods at 125+ it took me over 15 minutest to stop shaking.

These guys are a rare breed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Dammit Ducati! You never appreciate what you have. Its a big reason why you struggle when you should dominate MotoGP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I am so disappointed.

They could be such a dominant team, if they listened to the input of the riders.
That's what made the duo of Rossi and Burgess so killer.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I am so disappointed.

They could be such a dominant team, if they listened to the input of the riders.
That's what made the duo of Rossi and Burgess so killer.

Rossi and Burgess tried to tell them how to develop the Ducati and Corse scoffed at them. Immediately they both told Corse to dump that CF frame. That was a year of bitching back and forth. The duo told them to go twin spar, and what's funny is what kind of frame do they use today, twin spar. Idiots. Those guys are just hard headed. Everyone gives Rossi shit (mostly his haters) for the poor results at Ducati but look what happened after. They hired Gigi, revamped the entire race department and garages, I mean full scale revamp. Then they came out of the gutter. Should have fucking listened. That contract, well that's when I got to meet, talk to, etc Valentino. I could tell he was ready to leave the sport at the time.

In today's news, Zarco will have to start from Pit Lane on Sunday for his bs last week. Appropriate to me. Spencer is making a point. Zarco, like Pol, when going off the racing line needs to have situational awareness and check the racing line, by moving your damn head, before coming back onto the racing line. When you don't, you are saying you don't give a fuck, this space of track is MINE! Last lap, last corner, sure. 200 MPH braking for a 1st gear corner, coming on.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I did some digging. So far the throwback GP colors I want on the new GSX-R1000 are offered only for the Japanese Domestic Market. Mad Frown All my favorite motorcycles have a terrible tendency to be JDM. It looks like Europe and Asia markets might get those colors for a few smaller displacement GSX-R bikes but no word on the USA market.

I suppose I could always do what you guys did and build my own GP race replica.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~