Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2020 Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Just finished the race since my daughter is home from school for the weekend. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I’d thought but I believe they started a bit later and the track got up to temp, so the tires actually held out. Rins was on fire and I am almost certain that Mir will win the season. The question will be whether or not he wins a race

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I hope he does. Mir nearly won at Spielberg until Mav jumped off his M1 and caused a restart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.autosport.com/moto...ar-honda-motogp-deal

quote:

Takaaki Nakagami will remain in MotoGP in 2021 with LCR having signed a multi-year extension with Honda.

Nakagami stepped up to the premier class from Moto2 in 2018 with LCR, though is contracted directly to HRC.

Riding year-old RC213V machinery this year, Nakagami currently sits fifth in the standings and just 29 points off championship leader Joan Mir having managed a best result of fourth in the Andalusian GP in July.

Nakagami and LCR were keen to have the Japanese rider given current-spec works machinery having been HRC's leading rider this season.

Honda's press release makes no mention of what bike Nakagami will have in 2021, nor for how long his contract is actually for.

"I'm very happy to be able to continue racing for LCR Honda IDEMITSU in 2021 and beyond," Nakagami said.

"I'm grateful to Honda for their generous support, allowing me to bring out my full potential this season.

"I will be doing my best to gain solid results for the remaining races, and build on that momentum next year.

"I'm aiming higher with Honda. I look forward to your continued support."

HRC's general manager Tetsuhiro Kuwata added: "I am very pleased that we can continue to battle with Takaaki Nakagami in the MotoGP class next season onwards.

"I am truly grateful to the fans and IDEMITSU who have supported his career to date.

"This season, Nakagami's performance has been solid, finishing within the points in every race, and is currently fifth.

"His presence in the MotoGP class is on the rise, and we look forward to his performance in the remaining races."

Nakagami will be joined by Alex Marquez at LCR next season, who signed a two-year extension with HRC before the current campaign to continue riding factory machinery.

The 2019 Moto2 world champion has scored Honda's only podiums so far this season, taking a second in the wet French Grand Prix before storming to second in the dry at Aragon last weekend.

Current LCR rider Cal Crutchlow's future remains uncertain, though it is understood he has a pre-agreement in place with Aprilia for 2021.

However, Aprilia is continuing to stick by Andrea Iannone while he goes through the appeals process to have his 18-month doping ban overturned - with a final verdict expected by mid-November following the Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing last week.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Takaaki Nakagami Has had a pretty good season. I’m glad to see him get that contract. As for Cal...I can’t believe Aprilia is still wanting Iannone to ride for them. Suzuki was smart to cut Iannone loose, they have been spectacular without his added baggage. Cmon Aprilia what are you doing!?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I went to my local Suzuki dealership to inquire about the 2021 Gixx 100th anniversary edition only to discover after 50 years in business they decided to end their partnership with Suzuki. Frown The location is now only doing service work for Suzuki power sports. The show room was nearly empty except for a few consignment ATVs, a dual sport and two vintage bikes.

I can’t say I’m too surprised. That location is full of failed businesses nearby it’s just a strange spot. Honda Power Sports moved out of the city literally minutes from my house so I guess I can’t be too sad to lose Suzuki. Another dealership in town is selling Suzuki bikes now so I still have plenty of options.

For the price of the new anniversary Gixx that is sporting those gorgeous MotoGP colors I could scoop up a 2017 model and build a better/closer looking GP replica and still have plenty of money left over. The anniversary GSX-R1000 is $19k Eek

Then again I’ve also been considering getting something a bit more exotic. It wouldn’t be as fast as the Suzuki but my old R1 is already probably too fast for me and I am missing having a 90° twin in the garage. I am seriously considering one of these instead of the GSX-R. I think it would be fast enough to keep me happy and still have that 90° Twin character I’m missing quite a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thats a fine looking Duc. Recently was reading on the cost of the Desmo valve service Eek
Not sure how practical it is to DIY that job.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Takaaki Nakagami is looking INCREDIBLE in Q2! I should have bought a MotoGP subscription years ago. I’m enjoying the hell out of these qualifying sessions! Big Grin

Hahhahahahah A front row start for Rins!!!! Mir starts from 12th but the GSX-R is pretty damn fast off the line so hopefully he can salvage something good from this starting position.

Nakagami’s first pole since 2004!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rainman, paging Rainman. The 848 Evo isn’t too bad on service is it? If I recall correctly the intervals are pretty close to the Japanese sport bikes and not too bad when you consider you are getting nearly supercar performance for a fraction of the cost.

It can’t be worse than this damn BMW in my garage that now won’t start. For the record F the people who designed the R1150GS. This is a beautiful example of why they lost the war. HUGE FN gas tank. Ok let’s hide the battery under it. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
When was the last time Suzuki got back to back double podiums? I’m not tryin to get my hopes up but dammit it’s kinda hard not to right now. Suzuki is looking so strong right now. This is incredible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Rainman, paging Rainman. The 848 Evo isn’t too bad on service is it? If I recall correctly the intervals are pretty close to the Japanese sport bikes and not too bad when you consider you are getting nearly supercar performance for a fraction of the cost.

It can’t be worse than this damn BMW in my garage that now won’t start. For the record F the people who designed the R1150GS. This is a beautiful example of why they lost the war. HUGE FN gas tank. Ok let’s hide the battery under it. Big Grin

The Evo is a fine bike, and the intervals aren't bad at all.
But I warn you, you will become addicted.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.

If you do pull the trigger, let me know, I might have a gift for you.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Will do! Based off the insurance difference alone between an 848 and a new GSX-R1000R I am inclined to get the Ducati. Insuring a brand new 1000 is crazy $$$$ Frown I have a LOT of inline fours in my stable but after selling my SV650 I now have zero 90° twins. That was a stupid thing to do and I’m going to fix that mistake.

Now back to the subject of MotoGP.

This pic brilliantly illustrates what it feels like to be a Suzuki fan this year!! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Email sent!

I have an offer you can't refuse.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Great race, and some unfortunate DNFs.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motogp.com/en/news...-and-portimao/353716

quote:

Lorenzo Savadori will debut in MotoGP™ astride the Aprilia RS-GP in the Grand Prix of Europe, scheduled to be held in Valencia from 6-8 November.

Savadori will also sub for Bradley Smith as an Aprilia Racing Team Gresini rider in the following rounds which will close out the 2020 MotoGP™ season, namely the Comunitat Valenciana GP on 15 November and the GP of Portugal in Portimao on 22 November.

Savadori is the newly crowned Italian SBK Champion after dominating the 2020 CIV premier category with six wins and two second-place finishes in the eight races held astride his Aprilia RSV4 managed by Nuova M2 Racing team. This extraordinary performance, achieved in a highly competitive championship against rivals with multiple titles, combined with his efforts as MotoGP tester pursued from the beginning of the year, led to his début in the premier class of worldwide motorcycle racing.

Massimo Rivola, Aprilia Racing CEO: “First and foremost, I wish to thank Bradley for his efforts this season. He took one the unexpected role of factory rider with great dignity and outstanding performance, and his contribution was extremely valuable. Now we are excitedly awaiting Lorenzo’s début. This promotion is certainly a reward for his great season as a CIV rider, dominating the Superbike category. But it is also a step of growth for a rider who will be a tester for our RS-GP in 2021 as well. Riding our fledgling project in the race as well will certainly be a step forward for Lorenzo and, therefore, for all of Aprilia Racing.”

Lorenzo Savadori: “To say I'm happy would be an understatement and I wish to thank Aprilia Racing straight away for this great opportunity. I will be arriving prepared for the event, thanks both to the work done during the tests on the RS-GP and to the CIV season that just ended. It was a challenging Championship that demanded top form and maximum concentration from me. Now I need to reorganise my thoughts, glean from the kilometres I’ve ridden astride the RS-GP and make sure I'm ready and focused for the first practice session.”

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo Savadori welcome to the big leagues! He should expect to suffer mightily as he comes to grips with the absolutely mental speed and competitive nature that is life in MotoGP.

For the record I think this is a good move by Aprilia. They needed to go out and scout talent long ago. Iannone is not someone you bet the future of your race program on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
See the problem for Aprilia is they are very much in the stages of building a good bike. To do this you need a veteran rider with clout and ideally the best prospect you can find along with patience and realistic goals to allow them to mature and grow in the highly competitive MotoGP environment as they help develop the bike into a more competitive machine. The bar is so high it’s very hard to shake things up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/mot...-test-rider/4900382/

quote:

Andrea Dovizioso could return to the Yamaha fold in 2021 as its official MotoGP test rider in place of Jorge Lorenzo, Motorsport.com has learned.
Dovizioso rode a Yamaha in 2012 in his sole season with the Tech 3 squad after being ousted from Honda, with the Italian scoring six podiums on the M1 and finishing fourth in the standings.

He announced in August he would not be renewing his contract with Ducati beyond this year, bringing an eight-year partnership to an end.

Dovizioso was on Aprilia’s radar to join Aleix Espargaro in 2021, though Motorsport.com understands he never considered the Italian marque an option.

Recently, Dovizioso confirmed he was speaking with several manufacturers about a test rider role for next year having previously stated a sabbatical is an option if he didn’t find the right deal to continue racing.

In recent weeks, Yamaha, Honda and KTM have been in contact with Dovizioso’s manager Simone Battistella regarding a test role.

As well as the economic side, it seems Dovizioso’s desire from any deal would be the freedom to race in other disciplines – most notably motocross, having taken part in a round of the Emilia Romagna championship earlier this year before breaking his collarbone in a crash.

According to Battistella, a final decision will be made this week on his future.

“What Andrea wants is to be able to enrol in races in other disciplines this year,” Battistella told Motorsport.com. “We will make the final decision this week.”

A key element in Dovizioso’s decision will be what manufacturer gives him the best option to return to the MotoGP grid full-time in 2022.

Given the uncertainty surrounding Marc Marquez’s injured shoulder, further layoff would make Dovizioso a perfect substitute for Honda should HRC take him on.

But HRC isn’t keen on the idea of Dovizioso combining development of the RC213V with the risk of injury from racing motocross.

KTM’s work with test rider Dani Pedrosa has yielded two victories this year, and the Austrian marque’s desire to promote in-house talent makes it unlikely Dovizioso would be guaranteed a 2022 seat.

This leaves Yamaha as his best option, given Valentino Rossi’s Petronas SRT deal is at the moment only for one year, while the Japanese marque would greatly benefit from someone with recent race experience to help develop the M1 – not least its engine, which it will be looking to make a significant step forward with for 2022 having regularly been the slowest in the speed traps this year.

Lorenzo has only tested the M1 four times this year since February, and only the 2019 bike, while questions have been raised about his level of commitment and his usefulness to the project given he was four seconds off an Aprilia at the recent Algarve test in Portugal.

Motorsport.com understands Yamaha is in pole position to secure Dovizioso’s services next year.

Under the regulations for non-concession teams, Yamaha could field Dovizioso on the grid on three occasions next season - though this will depend on the easing of current COVID-19 restrictions on wildcards.

Recently, Rossi said he’d welcome having the three-time championship runner-up as a test rider should the opportunity arise.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.crash.net/motogp/n...ntino-rossi-valencia

quote:

GRT Yamaha WorldSBK rider Garrett Gerloff (and not factory MotoGP test rider Jorge Lorenzo) has been put on standby to replace Valentino Rossi at this weekend's Valencia MotoGP.
Gerloff will step in if the Italian, who missed both Aragon rounds due to a positive Covid test, does not receive the required pair of negative PCR test results ahead of the Valencia weekend.

And he could well be needed since Rossi‘s latest PCR test, on Tuesday 3rd November, came back with another positive result for Covid-19.

Nevertheless, today (Wednesday 4th November) the Italian will undergo a new test. Should he test negative, Rossi would still have enough time to complete the required second PCR test and fly to Valencia.

But should Rossi be deemed 'unfit' to ride in Valencia, Gerloff will be backed by the #46's usual crew for his very first riding experience aboard a YZR-M1.

Rossi is now the only Yamaha rider no longer in title contention, with team-mate Maverick Vinales third in the world championship, 19 points from Suzuki's Joan Mir and sandwiched between the Petronas Yamahas of Fabio Quartararo (-14 points) and Franco Morbidelli (-25 points).

Valencia is hosting two back-to-back MotoGP rounds, followed by the Portimao finale.

"I‘m so honoured that Yamaha has considered me for this opportunity," Gerloff said. "This year has already been quite the adventure, and this would be the cherry on top. It‘s been a dream of mine to ride the Yamaha YZR-M1 MotoGP bike since I started racing so many years ago, and to potentially have it happen is really exciting.

"But I am just sorry to get this opportunity under these unfortunate circumstances for Valentino. I feel really bad for him and I hope that he recovers soon, we all miss the number 46 on track! All the best to him.

"If I do end up riding this weekend, it will be an uphill battle not knowing the bike, tyres, brakes, etc. Also, I have never been to the Valencia track before. But I‘m confident in myself and ready for the challenge! Thanks to all at Yamaha. Bring it on!"

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well this is interesting!

Link to the article

The 2020 MotoGP world championship could be decided off track at this weekend’s European Grand Prix, with Yamaha under investigation – one that rumours say could have an impact on the title hopes of Fabio Quartararo, Maverick Vinales and Franco Morbidelli.

It’s believed by multiple sources within the paddock that Yamaha is currently under investigation for allegedly using illegal valves in their M1 engines following the Jerez opener, where the manufacurer suffered a number of mechanical issues and subsequently was forced to take corrective action.

Yamaha first discovered a problem with the faulty component (manufactured by an external partner) at Jerez, when Vinales lost one of his engines in practice.

That was followed by subsequent mid-race failures for both Rossi and Morbidelli.Valentino Rossi Yamaha Jerez MotoGP 2020

Yamaha was believed to have taken a number of preventative steps at the time, including an RPM restriction that sapped riders of horsepower and careful management of their existing stock of power plants.

However, it seems that the issue was in fact related not to the entire batch of valves but specifically to the ones used in the Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez, prompting an investigation by MotoGP’s technical director into exactly what had happened.

The crux of the issue seems to have been the timeline of when Yamaha sealed its remaining engines after the opening race in Jerez. Under MotoGP rules, a control engine is submitted to the technical director pre-season, and then used as a template to ensure that the other engines match.

If Yamaha changed the supplier of the valves for their remaining three engines per rider following the Jerez failures and then sealed them, it would potentially mean that the engines were therefore not exact replicas of the one submitted in May to the stewards – and this would leave Yamaha open to sanction.

Fabio Quartararo Petronas SRT Yamaha

Quartararo is the only of Yamaha’s four riders not to have lost an engine so far, however, relying on the same three engines since round one of the series.

His initial two engines, first used at the opening Jerez race, have not been used since, meaning he has completed far more than the usual engine lifespan of approximately 1500km since then.

That means he has not used his number one and two engines since round one, with Rossi similarly not reusing those two. Both Vinales and Morbidelli have used their first two engines, but not in races, putting them in for practice and qualifying for the Styrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring.

Maverick Vinales Yamaha Styrian GP MotoGP 2020

The paddock has been full of speculation today about at Valencia about what exactly will happen should the team be found to have raced with an illegal component.

If Yamaha is found guilty, it’s likely that any punishment will come in the form of a points-deduction that could effectively end its three riders’ championship charges.

Quartararo currently lies in second place, 14 points behind championship leader Joan Mir with 75 points left to play for in two races at Valencia and one at Algarve. Vinales is third, a further five points back, and Morbidelli is fourth, six points down on Vinales.

A spokesperson for Yamaha only confirmed to The Race that an investigation was underway but refused to comment further, while the Petronas Yamaha team declined to comment when asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Wow, this will get interesting.
What a year.....