SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who wouldn’t want a flock of dragons?

I walk along the battlements
I never thought I'd see a girl like you
riding a firedrake, not one but two

And I ran
I ran so far away
I just ran
I ran all night and day
I couldn't get away!

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think Bran could be key going forward, as he can "see everything in the world", so conceivably he could watch Cersi 24/7 and know exactly what is planned.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nah. Bran just seems out of it. The Night King almost iced him. He also seems pretty poor at communicating with anything but ravens. I find him annoying.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Jon Snow makes Rick Grimes look like Erwin Rommel.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
Jon Snow makes Rick Grimes look like Erwin Rommel.

The girl was right. He knows nothing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
So dark there’s no reason to watch it again. Annoying how dark it is. Makes me wonder if that was their solution to crappy effects.

So you're saying it was...

dark and full of errors?

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wow. Lot to process after that.
No issues with dim picture on my 65" 4K, dark but not hard to watch.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm going to rewatch this later in the week. It was great in the initial viewing but I felt really burned out after having watched Avengers: Endgame and then this in the same weekend.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'm going to rewatch this later in the week. It was great in the initial viewing but I felt really burned out after having watched Avengers: Endgame and then this in the same weekend.

I need to do the same. A lot to process in one day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I’m curious about what’s going to happen to Jamie Lannister. He was spared by Bran because they needed everyone fighter they could get. I wonder if Danaerys or Sansa ends him?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It won't be Sansa. Brienne vouched for him, so he's good in Sansa's book.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
So dark there’s no reason to watch it again. Annoying how dark it is. Makes me wonder if that was their solution to crappy effects.

LOL, turn your brightness all the way up and it's fine.

Finished watching it again and enjoyed it (again).

The Dothraki charge was a mistake in hindsight, but considering it's really their only tactic and it usually works great, I guess I understand them wanting to roll with it. Cinematically it was awesome, but I think they should have held off, used the fire catapults more, then tried to bring the Dothraki in on the flanks.

Oh well, medieval tactics in a fantasy world aren't my strong suit, I'm sure the lead Dothraki thought the plan was great! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I think Arya killing the NK rules her out for killing Cersi - so I'm thinking Jamie, Jon, or Dany, roughly 60/25/15 percentage-wise.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Remember: Pixelation is the death knell of any sort of quality viewing experience.

- Cut down on external glare. Got the TV next to a lamp or a window? Then you're fighting against technology and the elements.
- Check your picture mode. Most TVs come with various types of picture modes. You'll likely want something that's more warm than cool.
- Max out that backlight. This will give you the brightest image possible (if not exactly the most beautiful image).
- If you can adjust black levels, do that, too, getting them as dark as possible.

Of course, last night's episode, "The Long Night," wanted a few scenes to be shrouded in darkness for scene setting and storytelling. But these tips will hopefully bring at least a little clarity to the chaos at Winterfell—and any other dark scenes that cross your path in the future.

I may mess with the setting on my Tee Vee and watch the episode again...

(My system: mid-range Samsung 4k, 50-inch, about 3 years old. Apple TV, with HDR enabled. HBO Go on 130 Mb connection.)

I spent quite a lot of time adjusting my TV as I replayed some scenes of fighting mostly outside the gate and on the wall, and the pic is now considerably better for this particular episode. I switched from Cool to Warm, made sure Backlight was all the way up (it already was), enabled the various features that supposedly reduce "noise" and such, and enabled a feature that's supposed to improve fast-action scenes - too much of this setting and the image can be too, uh, crisp, so it took some experimenting to find the right balance. I did play some brighter scenes with little/no action to check that they weren't distractingly crisp. I'll rewatch the whole thing again tomorrow night.

Regarding Arya seeming to materialize out of thin air, one of WW generals detects a sudden breeze over his right shoulder just before Arya is seen. I don't know if she's actually capable of invisibility, but she does seem to have more powers than just glueing on the faces of dead people. I think she, and all the Faceless Men, have some sort of supernatural power, perhaps along the lines of Melisandre's ability to project an illusion regarding her physical image.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think they should have held off, used the fire catapults more

Yep. Arty and air to soften the target, then go ground. It ain't that hard. Have Dany on the big guy running close support and to lure in the NK on blue flame, and then have Jon bounce him from high cap. Jeezus, what do you even do these days Dinklage? Supposed to be queen's hand, not the queen's dunce. Figured out how to stealth lock the harbor and drop Napalm on Davo's navy, but can't even figure out simple strategery on aerial warfare after a lifetime of near worship of dragons? C'mon maaaaannn! Big Grin

Enjoyed the show, especially my girl Arya dropping the hammer on the NK. Figured it out after "Not today" and she ran off. I said; yep, she's about to punch ole NK's time card. Didn't see the flying Sukahara coming though. Paid off the same though.

I get the impression - mainly from the books - that Bran sees a lot more than just the past. He looked like he knew exactly how that was going to play out. Which I think the NK picked up on a second too late. He should have been terrified, but he was all like "What took you so long, Pasty?"

I don't think any of them take out Jamie. I think Bran's over it. He doesn't have the same desire as normals do for revenge or whatever. He probably understands Jamie living on is his own penance. And I think it will be on Jamie to take out Cersei. He's the only one left who has any prayer of getting close to her.

Still looking forward to Clegane-bowl though.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:

Yep. Arty and air to soften the target, then go ground. It ain't that hard. Have Dany on the big guy running close support and to lure in the NK on blue flame, and then have Jon bounce him from high cap. Jeezus, what do you even do these days Dinklage? Supposed to be queen's hand, not the queen's dunce. Figured out how to stealth lock the harbor and drop Napalm on Davo's navy, but can't even figure out simple strategery on aerial warfare after a lifetime of near worship of dragons? C'mon maaaaannn! Big Grin

Yeah, I could have come up with a much more entertaining and believable battle plan, and all I've ever done regarding battle is watch it on TV, and play video games.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If Jaime doesn't push Bran, Bran doesn't become the 3-eyed Raven. If he doesn't become 3ER, the NK has no interest in him. If the NK has no interest in him, he can't draw him in to the Godswood, and the dead simply slaughter everyone in Winterfell and move on.

Why would Bran hold a grudge against Jaime, since it made it possible to defeat the NK?

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Bran even states something along those lines to Theon beforehand. Something like "All of our choices have led to this point", or similar.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Why would Bran hold a grudge against Jaime, since it made it possible to defeat the NK?
Bran is no longer 'human' in the typical sense, and it takes people awhile to figure that out. As he said, he doesn't hate anyone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The Dothraki charge was a mistake in hindsight, but considering it's really their only tactic and it usually works great, I guess I understand them wanting to roll with it. Cinematically it was awesome, but I think they should have held off, used the fire catapults more, then tried to bring the Dothraki in on the flanks.

Oh well, medieval tactics in a fantasy world aren't my strong suit, I'm sure the lead Dothraki thought the plan was great! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

With the variety of forces amassed at Winterfell, and considering the eons of military campaigns in Westeros, you'd have thought there would've been a bit more sophistication in the planning: Dothraki with their massive light cavalry force, Knights of the Vail with their modest heavy cavalry, Unsullied and their medium infantry and the rest of the Northern formations manning trenches and battlements. Somebody didn't think a flanking maneuver or an assault like the charge by the Rohirrim during the Battle of Minas Tirith could've blunted or, lessoned the mass charge by the wights. Oh well, it makes for entertaining watching. Danni true to form, couldn't contain her emotions while the Dothraki got slaughtered and had to ride off, screwing up their initial plans....what's that saying about first contact Roll Eyes

This is pretty hilarious (If somebody can attach the Twitter feed..bedlam! Big Grin )
So Did The Night King Simply Get Out Coached By Bran Stark? I'm Starting To Think So
quote:
As soon as last night’s episode ended, I felt absolutely disgusted and outraged by the lack of effort out of Bran Stark. I thought to myself that this little bastard doesn’t even deserve a championship ring for winning the Battle of Winterfell. You’ve got all these people out there dying, the Army of the Dead built up this massive lead, and buddy over here was just warging into ravens for seemingly no apparent reason. I get that he was telling the Night King to come find him and everything but he didn’t have to just be zonked out during the entire fight to do that. It just seemed like Bran Stark shelled up in one of the biggest game. He played 35 minutes and had 0 pts, 1 asst, and 0 rebounds. A truly horrific performance in the playoffs.

But then I got to thinking that maybe Bran Stark isn’t a player. Maybe he’s just the coach/GM of the North. Because the scouting report he had on the Night King was spot on. He knew that the Battle of Winterfell was going to be a game of runs. He knew that they were going to be trailing at some point during the game. And he also knew that the Night King would be coming for him. But maybe the most important thing of all? He knew that Arya needed that fucking dagger.

This is where it pays to know your opponent inside and out. Because Bran Stark knew that the Night King probably can’t be killed with dragonglass considering he was made by dragonglass in the first place by those little tree fuckers (obviously the Night King can’t be killed by dragon fire either). But all everybody kept focusing on as they were getting ready for the battle was dragonglass, dragonglass, dragonglass. Arya pretty much flooded her pants when she got that dragonglass spear made by Gendry. But that’s not going to work against the Night King. If Arya decided to try to dunk on the Night King with that dragonglass spear, she would have just gave him a little cut at best.

So Bran knew he needed to get some Valeryian Steel in her hands. Sure, it was used at first to kill Littlefinger but they could have just used anything for that. Instead, that was just creepy ass Bran doing a little scouting and game planning for last night. Way in advance, too.

That’s just incredible coaching and managerial skills out of Bran. The Night King came in thinking that just brute force was going to get the job done. That was his game plan from the very beginning and he didn’t make any sort of adjustments along the way. But Bran Stark took the time to learn his opponent. He realized what kind of changes his team needed to make schematically in order to get the win. He knew that they would probably lose a decent amount of people along the way, but it was his adjustments that made all the difference in that battle. The Night King got out coached, and now the White Walkers are playing golf while the final battle gets going in the South.

Sidenote: Game of Thrones really needs to rethink their playoff format. The Southern Conference playoffs were such a joke that Cersei basically just walked straight into the Finals. But the Northern Conference? That series went a full 7 games last night. It was an absolute gauntlet between the top 2 teams left in the tournament. Cersei is a 3-seed here and she just swept her way into the Finals. And now the North has to go into the Finals extremely banged up. They lost most of the Dothraki. They lost most of the Unsullied. At the very most it looks like they’re only bringing 2 very beat up dragons who will be on minute restrictions for this series. It just doesn’t seem right that Cersei basically got a bye to the Finals, but I guess we’ll see how the Rest vs Rust debate falls with her.

Sidenote #2: Samwell Tarly better be watching that final battle from a press box. Dude was a complete liability out there. Needs to be a healthy scratch.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:

Exactly. Lay some more fire trenches further out and grind down the numbers a good bit.