SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Just gonna leave this here:

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So watched the finale again last night to clear up a couple of things.

One lingering question, and the google isn't much help, why didn't Sam seem to give a shit what happened to Jon in the end?

He went from "you're my best friend" and were naming the baby after you to not even asking about him at the gathering in the dragon pit.

Sansa was pissed Jon wasn't brought, Arya threatened to slit Yaras throat, Bran of course just sat there probably filling up his drawers.

Sam seemed unconcerned. Not even a "sorry you got a raw deal and sent back to the wall"

Lazy writing?. I can see everyone else not caring, but Sam was only alive because Jon saved his ass multiple times in past seasons.

Just doesn't compute.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Lazy writing?.

Yes, lots of it.

It wasn't horrible, but it was a good bit worse than it could have been.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet LOTS of people are cancelling HBO as we speak.

Yeah, finishing up a Deadwood re-watch and the movie, then I'll be dumping it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Now, my hope is that GRRM will finish the written books..

Never gonna happen. Just find a new dream and walk away from this one.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't see it being very probable. I suspect he'll end up keeling over from a heart attack sometime after finishing the current book. He's 70, and not in very good health.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Lazy writing?.

Yes, lots of it.

It wasn't horrible, but it was a good bit worse than it could have been.

There was a lot of lazy writing. The show went from a finely crafted cohesive story to an ordinary weekly serial where the current episode may or may not care what happened in previous episodes. It's written for the current week's story and that's it. There's no overarching framework to hold it together.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Finally finished last night. Not awful, there were limited options that wouldn't have taken another two seasons I think. Glad a few folks got me to watch the series for sure.

quote:
But they're going to have a hell of a time rebuilding that huge hole in the Wall at its east end...

I'm in the "why do they need to?" camp. Heck, I was surprised they still had the gate to the tunnel down. Again, why?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, I don't see it being very probable. I suspect he'll end up keeling over from a heart attack sometime after finishing the current book. He's 70, and not in very good health.

If he hasn't written the last book/books by now, I don't see that he has much interest in ever finishing them. Maybe he got bored, maybe he has too much money. Who knows?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
He definitely hasn't written the last books yet. He's still (supposedly) plugging away at the much-delayed Book 6 of an estimated 7.

I'm going with bored, considering he's chasing squirrels on about a dozen other projects right now. Various TV shows (some related to GoT and others not), other book series, various video games and tabletop games, etc. etc.

He's going to piddle away at all those other projects and keel over before he ever finishes GoT.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Holy Necropost, but I gotta resurrect this thread...

I've been ripping DVD's and saving them to my mass storage device. One of the shows I've ripped was the Game of Thrones series. I get the DVD's through Netflix's DVD subscription service.

OK...correct me if I'm wrong and for ANYONE who hasn't watched the show, here comes ******** SPOILER ALERT ********...

I didn't watch the series when it first premiered on HBO. I started binge-watching in 2019 before Season 8 was released. By the time I had caught up to Season 8, the series was almost over. So if memory serves, I remember the ending in the last episode as Jon/Aegon killing Daenerys and the last remaining dragon picked her up and flew off into the dark...fade to black. Let the cast parties begin!

With the DVD's from Netflix, I just watched an entire extended ending from that described above. Unless I'm losin' it, I don't remember Tyrion getting out of prison and addressing a counsel of all the Lords and Ladies of the Seven Kingdoms where they wound up electing Brandon as king? I don't recall Jon being sent back to The Wall. I don't remember Sansa being crowned Queen of the North. I don't recall Arya on a ship going farther west. I don't remember the ending with Jon and Tormund riding into the forest headed north outside the wall.

Do I need a memory check or am I remembering that when the series originally ended, it didn't have all the extended scenes as described above?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue......

Merry Christmas!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
you need a memory check.
all that stuff happened

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
you need a memory check.
all that stuff happened

Yup!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Yup, you just described the ending of the final episode as it aired on HBO

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The first time you saw it, you were so traumatized by the terrible ending to such a promising show that your subconscious attempted to block it out.

And now you've gone and dredged up those painful suppressed memories.

Poor guy.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ More like Drogon torching the throne was the last exciting part of the final episode so that's all he remembers.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Other than missing a chance to have Ned Stark reanimate in the crypt the show ended better than I was expecting. But I had VERY low expectations going into the final season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Ok...maybe I was drunk the first time around. Gonna have to rethink sober... Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Other than missing a chance to have Ned Stark reanimate in the crypt ...

The undead in Game of Thrones are just like any other zombie--they need to have a head to re-animate.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The undead in Game of Thrones are just like any other zombie--they need to have a head to re-animate.

Nope. Unlike traditional Romero-style zombies, Wights in GoT don't require a head.

While I don't recall if it was ever explicitly shown in the series (although I know there were quite a few wights with damaged or partially missing heads), it's specifically pointed out in the books. In the books, one of the first wights encountered (Jafer Flowers, one of the two dead Night's Watchmen) continued to attack even after being beheaded. Ser Jaremy Rykker chops its head off with his sword, and yet the now-headless but still functional Wight grabs a dagger and proceeds to stab Rykker to death.

However, Wights can be killed by Valyrian steel. And Ned Stark was killed by being beheaded with his own Valyrian steel sword, Ice. So perhaps that might prevent him from being able to be raised as a Wight?