SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I, too, was surprised by the number of white walkers at the end of the episode.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Maybe this isn't a surprise to anyone else, but I was under the assumption there was only a handful of white walkers, since that's all we ever saw around the NK, but in the final shot of S8/E2, we see a bunch of them lined up on horses.

Supposed to be about 100,000 of them

On foot. They've only ever shown a few mounted leaders, but the closing of the episode showed a dozen or so.

And it’s possible way more weren’t visible due to darkness, snow, etc.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Maybe this isn't a surprise to anyone else, but I was under the assumption there was only a handful of white walkers, since that's all we ever saw around the NK, but in the final shot of S8/E2, we see a bunch of them lined up on horses.

Supposed to be about 100,000 of them

On foot. They've only ever shown a few mounted leaders, but the closing of the episode showed a dozen or so.

And it’s possible way more weren’t visible due to darkness, snow, etc.

There isn't 100K white walkers; the "Army of the Dead" aka "Wights" numbers is about 100K, but the "White Walkers" are the special creatures who turn corpses into "Wights" and are far fewer in number.

Get your GOT-Nerd on with this article that explains it.

Here's the difference between White Walkers and wights on 'Game of Thrones'

Wights are pretty mindless foot soldiers, the White Walkers are 'in charge' so to speak, but when one dies, the Wights it created die - hence the plan to kill the 'Night King', as he made them all.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
The big unknown is the return of Melisandre. She is coming back and how will she affect the plot.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Melisandre stated that both she and Varys are destined to die in Westeros. I expect both to die this season. Melisandre most likely vs the dead. Varys could go either way.

quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
The big unknown is the return of Melisandre. She is coming back and how will she affect the plot.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I think Melisandre will affect the story more than just dying.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I think Melisandre will affect the story more than just dying.

Especially considering she's the last person left alive who we know is capable of resurrecting the dead.

Plus, fire magic is effective against wights, and she's currently one of two characters (at least in Westeros) that we know can wield that, and certainly the more powerful of the two. Beric's fire magic appears to be limited to simply igniting his sword, from what we've seen so far.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
the "White Walkers" are the special creatures who turn corpses into "Wights" and are far fewer in number.

Get your GOT-Nerd on with this article that explains it.

Here's the difference between White Walkers and wights on 'Game of Thrones'

Wights are pretty mindless foot soldiers, the White Walkers are 'in charge' so to speak, but when one dies, the Wights it created die - hence the plan to kill the 'Night King', as he made them all.

From the linked article:
quote:
.... can also be reanimated when their corpse has rotted down to the bone, as we also saw in "Hardhome."

The Winterfell crypt might not be the place to hide noncombatants.......

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I may have dreamed this, but wasn't there an episode that made the distinction between black dragon glass and (was it) red dragon glass?? Black dragon glass kills and the red dragon glass reverses the White Walker effect and returns the person back to human? I'd have to look for this...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I may have dreamed this, but wasn't there an episode that made the distinction between black dragon glass and (was it) red dragon glass?? Black dragon glass kills and the red dragon glass reverses the White Walker effect and returns the person back to human? I'd have to look for this...

I don't recall that, maybe from the books?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't believe there's been any discussion of different colors of dragonglass with different effects, in either the show or the books.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't recall different types of dragonglass.

Only dragonglass, Valerian steel, or fire and they all seem to have the same effect.

Best fire wielders are the 2 remaining Dragons, IMO. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Giant's Milk

The looks on everyone's faces after he said that was pure gold. Every time Tormund speaks around Breane she looks like she sucked on a lemon, there's gotta be a meme somewhere..

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Everyone in Winterfell is shitting their pants and they don't even know about the dragon yet. Eek

On that note, didn't Tormund and the others at Eastwatch see the zombie dragon when it blew a hole through the wall? Why aren't they warning everyone?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Everyone in Winterfell is shitting their pants and they don't even know about the dragon yet. Eek

On that note, didn't Tormund and the others at Eastwatch see the zombie dragon when it blew a hole through the wall? Why aren't they warning everyone?

Bran told Daenerys that they have her dragon, when Jon was introducing her to Sansa in S8E1, in his "We don't have time for this " bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
So who are we liking to be the Night-King Slayer, assuming he's slain in battle at Winterfell.

Jon is the obvious, traditional Hollywood choice, but I'm leaning towards Arya, perhaps disguised as a wight or sporting the face of a freshly killed villager. She'll at least take out some of the NK's generals.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I really dug the scene where Sam was giving Heartsbane to Jorah Mormont. Good stuff...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So who are we liking to be the Night-King Slayer, assuming he's slain in battle at Winterfell.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No one. He will live to face Cersei who will really give him the business.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I find it unlikely that the Night King will be killed off this early in the season.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I find it unlikely that the Night King will be killed off this early in the season.

This is my feeling too.

With a zombie dragon to ride, he isn't limited to moving at the pace of his army. I think Bran has been a bit shortsighted.

What the defenders should be aiming to do is to target the White Walkers...that why their troops will fall with them

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post