SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're imposing your sense of morals on someone who doesn't share them. That doesn't make them a sociopath

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FYI sociopathy is a clinical term it has nothing to do with morality.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I still think Ep5 was fantastic, regardless of the 'Don't make Dany a crazy bitch'.

I have no problem with Dany becoming a crazy bitch. My issue is with the abruptness of it. I wish they had built up to it over a longer span.

Like watching her brother die dispassionately? Or burning the witch alive? Or crucifying the masters? Or burning both Tarleys? Or having the unsullied kill all the masters? Or having her dragons eat noblemen of (one of the slave cities)? Or "What do dragons eat?" "Whatever they want."?

I mean, she's shown hints of crazy and ruthlessness up to this point. I'm a little surprised it went as far as it did, but it's not exactly out of nowhere.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Oh, but they did! She's been showing signs of remorselessness since episode 6 of Season 1, when Drogo killed her brother and she couldn't give a shit.

Or like when she shut that dude and her servant in the vault. Or had the unsullied kill the masters that she had just bought them from in bad faith. Or like when she had someone kill the two masters right in front of Tyrion when they had showed up to negotiate in good faith.

She’s unhinged. People have been cheering her girl power because they’ve been emotionally attached to her.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dany dispassionately watching her brother die is totally understandable, given the circumstances and the setting.

Beyond merely being a douchebag, Viserys was extensively abusive (emotionally, verbally, physically, and sexually) and controlling. Even more so in the books. Her whole life, he would fly into blind rages where he would beat Dany. He molested her, and attempted to rape her the night before her wedding so that he, not Drogon, would be the one to take her virginity. Plus, he attempted to steal the dragon eggs from her.

And besides, he may have been her brother by blood, but he clearly did not care for her any more than what she could gain him. As he said in his own words, he would "let his sister be raped by all forty thousand of Drogo's men and their horses if it meant getting his throne back".

(And even despite all that, she wasn't totally emotionless when it came to her brother... She ended up naming one of her dragons after him - Viserion.)

She's shown she's willing to use force when it's needed. Given the brutal setting of GoT, that's practically a necessity. Even some of the slightly more questionable killings are more understandable when viewed through a "dark medieval setting" lens.

But killing those who attempted to harm or kill her, or killing abusive slavedrivers in order to free their slaves, is a far cry from burning innocent women and children indiscriminately.

I agree that there were potential signs, and that Dany going off the deep end is totally within character, but you have to admit there was a huge leap in a very short span over the last couple episodes. That's all I'm saying... I wish it had been a slower buildup over a longer period.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree that there were potential signs, but you have to admit there was a huge leap in a very short span, over the last couple episodes. That's all I'm saying... I wish it had been a slower buildup over a longer period.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. It would be in line with how people behave and naturally develop. Makes the plot less believable as well as palatable.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Killing innocents and children is sociopathic, someone else killing your douchebag brother is another.

You're imposing your sense of morals on someone who doesn't share them. That doesn't make them a sociopath
Also attempting to impose our morals on a fictional medieval universe is pointless.

Children and innocents have been getting slaughtered the whole show. Yes Dany stopped the raping of women by the Dothraki but in general any time a city is sacked or an army marches by, the locals get beaten, raped, and killed. Except by the Unsullied, they aren't equipped to raped anymore.

Sure she was gonna 'Break the Wheel', but after getting fucked over Season 7 by poor decisions and people like Tyrion / Varys begging her to be merciful, to take more horrible losses of people, allies, and Dragons - the fact that she said "Fuck That" is completely understanding.

She should have listened and "Be A Dragon" far earlier and less people would have died.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Sure she was gonna 'Break the Wheel', but after getting fucked over Season 7 by poor decisions and people like Tyrion / Varys begging her to be merciful, to take more horrible losses of people, allies, and Dragons - the fact that she said "Fuck That" is completely understanding.

She should have listened and "Be A Dragon" far earlier and less people would have died.

I think a lot of folks think she's supposed to be obviously insane now, but she's pretty much always been portrayed as being willing to break eggs to make omelettes, and as being held back by her advisers. I don't find her current actions that far out of character, considering her pre-dispositions, the loss of 2 of her 3 "children," costly the bad advice for mercy she followed, the loss of her closest 2 friends/advisers, etc. She's not "mad" as much as entitled, scorned, hurt, and pissed, all while having devastating power at her command. And, she's a Targaryen.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I think part of it is the rejection she got from Jon once he found out he was here Aunt,
and the scene after the Night King is done,
everyone in the great hall having a good time,
patting each other on the back etc etc, and making a big deal out of Jon Snow,, yet not so much her,

you could see it in her eyes and face that she realized she was an outsider, and not just in the north

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
you could see it in her eyes and face that she realized she was an outsider, and not just in the north

While Jon may be popular in the North, he's just as much of an unknown to the rest of the Seven Kingdoms as she is.

Currently, it's actually Sansa who holds the most influence in the Seven Kingdoms, having the support of three of the seven kingdoms (the North, plus the Vale and Riverlands through her family ties from her mother's side). As well as a link to a fourth through the late Theon's devotion to her. And Tyrion could provide a link to a fifth, the Westerlands, since he clearly cares for her.

Though, granted, she would put that to use to help Jon, but has no inclination to do the same for Dany.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I am kicking around a theory that Dany may just quit Westeros and go back to Essos where she is adored. Everything has gone pretty poorly for her since she came "home". After being confronted about the atrocities that she inflicted on King's landing, maybe she decides to just pack up and go back.

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I think part of it is the rejection she got from Jon once he found out he was here Aunt,
and the scene after the Night King is done,
everyone in the great hall having a good time,
patting each other on the back etc etc, and making a big deal out of Jon Snow,, yet not so much her,

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This is really good! The GoT theme, now with Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine), Scott Ian (Anthrax), and Brad Paisley.

(Start at 2:00)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
I am kicking around a theory that Dany may just quit Westeros and go back to Essos where she is adored. Everything has gone pretty poorly for her since she came "home". After being confronted about the atrocities that she inflicted on King's landing, maybe she decides to just pack up and go back.

Possible, although a bit too storybook for GoT.

I don't think Dany has any sort of even semi-happy ending coming. She likely will be killed, or else slaughter her rivals and rule the ruins of the Seven Kingdoms as just another tyrant (until the next inevitable rebellion).

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like this version of the song:

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I thought I had posted this...nope. I'll never hear the theme song the same again!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only disservice done to Dani by the writers is that they have created the possible interpretation that her actions were due to insanity. She hasn't suddenly snapped. Rather, she is behaving in the same cold, calculating manner that has characterized - in fact, enabled - her rise to power.
In Essos, Dani was the beneficiary of oppressed people turning on their masters and flocking to support her. In contrast, she was frustrated that the people of King's Landing wouldn't rebel against Cercei in favor of Dani. Tyrion pointed out that the people were too scared of Cercei to go over to Dani.
Dani understood - and stated - that her rule in Westeros must be based on fear, not love. So, she had to inspire more fear than Cercei inspired. She did.
She also punished the people she perceived as obstructing her path to the throne through their failure to rebel against Cercei on cue, and throw open the gates. Had they responded in the manner she deemed appropriate, she would have been the merciful, benevolent "breaker of chains" that her political cleverness had adopted in Essos when expedient.
From a broader perspective, she sent a message to the rest of Westeros. You don't get to oppose the Dragon Queen and then just surrender when the battle starts to go badly, expecting mercy. Resistance will be punished. Severely punished. If you don't want to have happen to your city what happened at King's Landing, then capitulate before the battle starts. Conquerors have employed that strategy as long as there have been conquests - because it works.
She still has a continent to bring to heel, and she knows it. Fear of inevitable utter destruction is the tool to accomplish it.
For example, it will be important when she is at the gates of Winterfell demanding the people turn over Sansa (an obvious, active threat) and throw open the gates.
Which is why, if Jon is smart, he will do his best to kill her. Not because she's suddenly gone nuts and is capable of blind destructive rage on a massive scale. It's far more horrifying than that. She's a calculating, ruthless power monger who knows exactly what she's doing. And her most obvious target is Sansa, who represents her greatest threat.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Actually, the episode sort of accurately represented the generally understood "rules" of siege warfare in the Middle Ages. You could always surrender a city prior to a siege engagement, with negotiated terms that could be quite favorable - the retention of arms and safe conduct for citizens, for example, as long as you handed over the keys. Sieges were long, drawn out expensive affairs, so this was often mutually beneficial. Once the siege was laid and armies levied, however, before actual hostilities, you could still negotiate but you might not get terms as favorable - hand over citizens for ransom, and pay a siege tax for certain, with other options possible. And maybe selected officials get their heads lopped off. After hostilities begin - prisoners killed, arrows loosed, siege engines to the wall, cannon fired, all bets are off, and if the city falls it could be - likely would be - sacked, pillaged, burned to the ground and the last citizen murdered. You don't get to surrender mid-siege, and any discretion is up to the conquerer.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The video Ronin posted about "The GOT Theme song" is awesome.

Guy on the left is DB Weiss.

Guy on the right is Ramin Djawadi -

a German score composer. His score for the 2008 Marvel film Iron Man was nominated for a Grammy Award. He has also scored movies such as Clash of the Titans, Pacific Rim, Warcraft, A Wrinkle in Time, and Slender Man, and for television series including Game of Thrones, Prison Break, Person of Interest, Jack Ryan, and Westworld. He won an Emmy Award for the Game of Thrones episode "The Dragon and the Wolf".

According to Djawadi, he has the sensory condition known as synesthesia whereby he may "associate colors with music, or music with colors", and it allows him to visualize music.

adding:

Fender designed 3 GOT guitars

Fender has announced a new line of three guitars that bear the sigils of House Stark, House Lannister, and House Targaryen

They’re pricey — $25,000, $30,000, and $35,000, respectively — but can you really put a price on happiness?

video at:

https://www.stereogum.com/2039...tars-announced/news/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
A thought from earlier re-occurred to me while watching episode 5

Why would you choose to stay in Westeros? Given the means, Essos sure as shit seems like a better place to be

It’s warm, there isn’t some dead king trying to come and kill you, winter is never coming, and none of this game of thrones shit

If I was Dany when I got to Westeros I think I would have been like “this? This is what I’ve been told I want back so badly?” To hell with the this, I’m going to the beach

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Maybe Tyrion will reacquire the crossbow from Bronn, and shoot Danny while she's taking a growler, like he did to his daddy. I'm only half kidding.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
There's spoiler alerts on youtube and reddit from sources who were accurate in their predictions for episodes 4 and 5. If true, this final episode should result in a public hanging of the two writers responsible for it and this less than stellar final season.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post