SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I suspect there will be a few hanging threads, since negotiation is underway regarding spinoffs on GOT.

The series that are in the works are not direct sequels/spinoffs. Instead, they draw from the history and lore of the Game of Thrones world. Like Tolkien, Martin has written an extensive history and volumes of lore for the world he created.

Martin himself has said that none of the four series currently in various stages of planning are sequels, and he wouldn't agree to a direct sequel anyway.

The series that's furthest along, and that will likely debut first, is called "The Long Night" and is set during the Age of Heroes, which was several thousand years before the current series. That was when the Others first appeared, the Wall was built, the Night's Watch was founded, and the Children of the Forest banded together with the First Men to defeat the Night King the first time.

It's rumored that another focuses on the Targaryens, either the Targaryen conquest of Westeros 300 years before the current series, or the Targaryen Civil War of 170 years before the current series.

So it's not going to be "Game of Thones 2: Electric Boogaloo", with Podrick and Bronn as a pair of mismatched buddy cops knights with a pet orangutan, fighting and whoring their way across the lands immediately after the events of this series. Big Grin

Any loose ends will just have to be left dangling. Future series will be totally different characters, in a totally different era.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I would totally watch Game of Thrones 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Martin himself has said that none of the four series currently in various stages of planning are sequels, and he wouldn't agree to a direct sequel anyway.

The series that's furthest along, and that will likely debut first, is called "The Long Night" and is set during the Age of Heroes, which was several thousand years before the current series. That was when the Others first appeared, the Wall was built, the Night's Watch was founded, and the Children of the Forest banded together with the First Men to defeat the Night King the first time.

It's rumored that another focuses on the Targaryens, either the Targaryen conquest of Westeros 300 years before the current series, or the Targaryen Civil War of 170 years before the current series.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK you are probably correct. You are a pretty knowledgeable guy. HOWEVER, what you are describing could technically be a PREQUEL.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Must be a Jersey thing. Are there naked people riding lawnmowers in it??

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Any chance that Drogon, who has at times ignored Dany (took her away to that grass mountain, back on Essos, and then ignored her so she had to wander off on foot) went rogue and it was him rather than Dany doing the overkill?

Nah, who am I kidding. He was under control enough to take out the Red Keep.

So, is there anything actually in King's Landing worth staying and fighting for now, or does it become New Harrenhall? I wouldn't want to be reigning over that mess and having to do urban renewal (and rehabilitation) for whatever fraction of the King's Landing populace who survived, all of whom would hate the winning side - the one that did the sacking/burning/killing - worse than they hated Cersi.

(Hard to imagine anything that would make Cersi look good, but, yeah, give the devil her due....)
Obviously the Dragon Fire took the sacking up a bunch of notches, but Kings Landing was sacked during Roberts Rebellion by the Lannister Army - the Mountain raped Elia Martell / killed her Targaryen children.

"Tywin's Betrayal Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, had remained neutral throughout the war, ignoring calls to arms by both the loyalists and the rebels. However, about a fortnight after the Battle of the Trident he appeared at the gates of King's Landing with a force of twelve thousand men from the westerlands. He claimed his loyalty was with Aerys, and requested entrance into the city. While Lord Varys, the master of whisperers, told the king to keep the gates closed, Grand Maester Pycelle convinced the king to open his gates to Tywin. The Lannister forces began to sack the city, killing people of all ages and raping women. A handpicked group of men raced to the Red Keep, to storm the walls.

The Lannisters needed a way to prove their loyalty to Robert's cause and Rhaegar's children had to die to ensure Robert's claim to the throne, so two of Tywin's knights, Gregor Clegane and Amory Lorch, scaled the walls of Maegor's Holdfast. Amory dragged Princess Rhaenys Targaryen from under Rhaegar's bed and stabbed her half a hundred times. Gregor smashed the head of the infant Prince Aegon in front of his mother, Princess Elia Martell, in the nursery, and the Mountain then raped and murdered Elia with Aegon's brains still on his hands.

When Robert Baratheon arrived in King's Landing, Tywin laid the bodies of Elia, Aegon, and Rhaenys beneath the Iron Throne and presented them to Robert as tokens of his fealty."

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Would love to see Jon turn the dragon to his side kill the bitch and rule everything peacefully.

Wouldn’t really be a happy ending because he doesn’t want it. I just want to see the bitch die now Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK you are probably correct. You are a pretty knowledgeable guy. HOWEVER, what you are describing could technically be a PREQUEL.

Prequels wouldn't have anything to do with tying up loose ends from the end of a current series.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Must be a Jersey thing. Are there naked people riding lawnmowers in it??

Yes, but the lawnmowers are dressed up to look like dragons. Razz

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prequels wouldn't have anything to do with tying up loose ends from the end of a current series.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I concede the point.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I rewatched ep. 5 again last night and enjoyed it more than the first time, maybe because there were no surprises to feel conflicted about/be in a state of evaluating in the moment. I was able to process and appreciate the story, acting, sights and sounds more.

I especially liked the beginning scenes with Varys, and the scenes near the end with the Hound and Arya together, and then apart. The surrealness and stunning images of war and its aftermath were quite effective, and reminded me of feelings evoked by films like Apocalypse Now, FMJ, BoB, The Pacific, etc. I'm not necessarily equating it to those, but I got similar feelings and appreciation on the second viewing. My current opinion is it was a really fine work, even if a number of the storylines aren't playing out to their potential.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
My current opinion is it was a really fine work, even if a number of the storylines aren't playing out to their potential.

I suspect that is how the show as a whole will be remembered: A really fine work, whose story didn't live up to its potential in the end. Excellent visuals. Excellent production. Some excellent acting. Middling plot execution.

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the writing on the show was never as good once they got past the book material.

I still greatly enjoy the show.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
My current opinion is it was a really fine work, even if a number of the storylines aren't playing out to their potential.

I suspect that is how the show as a whole will be remembered: A really fine work, whose story didn't live up to its potential in the end. Excellent visuals. Excellent production. Some excellent acting. Middling plot execution.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I rewatched ep. 5 again last night and enjoyed it more than the first time, maybe because there were no surprises to feel conflicted about/be in a state of evaluating in the moment. I was able to process and appreciate the story, acting, sights and sounds more.

I especially liked the beginning scenes with Varys, and the scenes near the end with the Hound and Arya together, and then apart. The surrealness and stunning images of war and its aftermath were quite effective, and reminded me of feelings evoked by films like Apocalypse Now, FMJ, BoB, The Pacific, etc. I'm not necessarily equating it to those, but I got similar feelings and appreciation on the second viewing. My current opinion is it was a really fine work, even if a number of the storylines aren't playing out to their potential.

GOT Season 7 & 8 are like a wine that needs to air out a bit - watching it a second time often gives me a better impression of the show. But the show definitely suffered after exhausting the book materials.

I still think Ep5 was fantastic, regardless of the 'Don't make Dany a crazy bitch'. Everyone was who they should be: Jon / Tyrion / Varys - Idealistic to different extremes; Dany / Grey Worm / The Hound - out for blood; Arya / Euron - Realists; Cersi / Jamie - incestuous lovers

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A fun re-cap and review, again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...episode-5-bells.html

The best comment:

• You know who I’m guessing really didn’t like this episode? All those parents who named their daughters Khaleesi.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I still think Ep5 was fantastic, regardless of the 'Don't make Dany a crazy bitch'.

I have no problem with Dany becoming a crazy bitch. My issue is with the abruptness of it. I wish they had built up to it over a longer span.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Oh, but they did! She's been showing signs of remorselessness since episode 6 of Season 1, when Drogo killed her brother and she couldn't give a shit.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Killing innocents and children is sociopathic, someone else killing your douchebag brother is another.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Her brother hasn't been the only person to die in her presence. She's had people killed in every season.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Killing innocents and children is sociopathic, someone else killing your douchebag brother is another.

You're imposing your sense of morals on someone who doesn't share them. That doesn't make them a sociopath

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post