SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Sansa ended up on the Iron Throne, once it's all said and done.
I can see that, Dany is getting a little "it's mine" about the Throne and I doubt she will live to sit upon it.
I'm glad someone else sees this. I'm getting just a little sick and tired of Daenerys with her, "The throne is MINE"..."She/he must bend the knee"..."I'm not here to be her friend; I am her QUEEN". Getting a little too much like her father, no? If someone doesn't "bend the knee" she simply utters "dracarys" and woop there it is...death by dragon. I'm surprised Jon told her the truth at this point. Maybe he wanted her to know in case he dies. Then if Daenerys is pregnant and has a son, the throne would legally be the baby's..dunno. As expected, she didn't take the news all that well. I wanted to say, "Jon Jon Jon...you have to tell women these things when there are WITNESSES around". Notice how Daenerys said something like, "Yeah...your BROTHER and BEST FRIEND told you this? Yeah right" Surprised she didn't add an eyeroll in there. Smile

Anyway, I think that just like Ygritte (who Jon is nowhere near being over), Daenerys is gonna bite the big one and Jon will go through another bout of heartbreak from lost love. Or maybe he's pretty much over it seeing that he's been boffing his aunt and now it's creepy for him.

I'm sure to have more as I rewatch the episode...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arya will die. I think they made that scene fairly mild compared to the nudity in other seasons. I don’t think she wants to be doing nude scenes.

I was reading an interview with her this morning, she was given the choice of how much/little to show. Her scene was shot with slightly more sensitivity and awkwardness since she was 11 years old when she started the show.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Now that the dead are at the gates of Winterfell it looks like we will be losing some characters next week.

Why is Jaime so important that Bran did not tell anyone what Jaime did to him? The show went out of the way to emphasize Jaime's importance. Queenslayer?

Poor Tormund, Jaime just c-blocked him.

Arya's scene seemed justified to me. A young woman, mature beyond her years on brink of a battle where she may well die. Who would not want that?

My suspicions for next week's deaths:
Theon - his arc seems to be played out, finally redeemed.
Brienne - her arc seems to be finished
Beric - seems destined to die fighting the dead
Grey Worm - no happy endings on the beaches of Narth for you.
Tormund - I think that the wildlings story is done.
Podrick, Royce, Lyanna Mormont, Ed - it seems that a slew of minor characters will be going away to thin the herd.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Why is Jaime so important that Bran did not tell anyone what Jaime did to him? The show went out of the way to emphasize Jaime's importance. Queenslayer?

Maybe Bran has seen in his visions that Jaime has an important role to play.

Or maybe Bran simply doesn't care any more. After all, he's no longer Bran... He's the Three Eyed Raven.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I was glad to see Theon reappear as ward-of-Ned-Stark Theon.

He's come a long way back from would-be heir to Balon, then being Ramsey's toy 'Reek', to rescuing his sister, being trusted to guard Bran and having a calm maybe-their-last-evening-alive chat with Sansa.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I don't see Sansa on the Iron Throne. She has no interest in being a southern ruler.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally bored with the recent episode. Could have read a condensed summary and it would have been more entertaining. Imagine if they had done that extended build up for the Alamo. Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie sitting around the campfire. I do not really care what the characters are thinking and feeling at this point. It felt contrived and unrealistic. Just get on with the action.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Totally bored with the recent episode. Could have read a condensed summary and it would have been more entertaining. Imagine if they had done that extended build up for the Alamo. Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie sitting around the campfire. I do not really care what the characters are thinking and feeling at this point. Just get on with the action.

I have to disagree with you on this one. As much as 'we' wanted them to get on with it....so did the characters; some of those characters we've become very close to and I thought it was a cool tribute that the audience was given a peek at how these warriors chose to spend what they expected to be their final night on this plane.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Many of you posting in this thread obviously are much more aware of the intricacies of the story than I. With the recent revelation than Jon Snow is a Targaryen, and male heir to the Iron Throne, and that his claim surpasses that of Daenerys. What remains unclear to me is whether they are blood related such that they shouldn’t sleep with each other.

Her brother is his father.

Which is no thing in Targaryen circles. The Targaryens are an incestuous lot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
It’s all been a dream. Bran got KO’d when he fell and it’s been 7 seasons of a dream.

That was the second Bob Newhart show.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Agree 100%. I thought it was great to see these characters interact for the first time in many years or the first time ever

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Totally bored with the recent episode. Could have read a condensed summary and it would have been more entertaining. Imagine if they had done that extended build up for the Alamo. Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie sitting around the campfire. I do not really care what the characters are thinking and feeling at this point. Just get on with the action.

I have to disagree with you on this one. As much as 'we' wanted them to get on with it....so did the characters; some of those characters we've become very close to and I thought it was a cool tribute that the audience was given a peek at how these warriors chose to spend what they expected to be their final night on this plane.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not really care what the characters are thinking and feeling at this point. It felt contrived and unrealistic. Just get on with the action.

Not to seem like a dick, but if you don't care what the characters are thinking, what's the point of watching the show? Just in it for the battle scenes? Yeah they're epic and done on a grand scale and pretty exciting. The series aside from the magic, dragons and other such non real world elements explores the many different personalities and how they relate to each other in a pretty tangled web of connections. I enjoy that aspect of the series.

That said, they fire hearth scene had a bit of soap opera feel to it and was a bit over dramatic in parts. At that I was still pleased with the episode. To each his own I guess.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
It’s all been a dream. Bran got KO’d when he fell and it’s been 7 seasons of a dream.

That was the second Bob Newhart show.

And Bobby Ewing was in the shower the entire time too in “Dallas”.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, they fire hearth scene had a bit of soap opera feel to it and was a bit over dramatic in parts. At that I was still pleased with the episode. To each his own I guess.

Tormund MADE that scene, IMO. So fantastic!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

That was my take also. This show is popular because it is character driven. We become attached to those characters and are interested in how they interact. Also remember that even though we've watched them for 7 seasons already, for many of them, this is their first interaction in quite a while.

The scene between Arya and Gendry wasn't unnecessary nor out of character. I was completely in character for two people who've had that tension throughout the show and "take a chance" while facing imminent death.

I also liked finally seeing the payoff of Podrick's secret

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to seem like a dick, but if you don't care what the characters are thinking, what's the point of watching the show?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It had a soap opera quality to it and was not realistic. This is not generally how people spend their final moments on earth. This was schmaltz not character development. To me it felt contrived. Hope this explains my position.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is not generally how people spend their final moments on earth.

I disagree. EVERY time I've faced death on the eve of an endless winter AND on the verge of being attacked by a dead, zombie dragon and a 100,000 strong army of dead people, I spend my final moments in the exact same way. Smile

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Pretty slow opening to the season so far. It makes sense, most of these characters are about to die. Why not develop the characters as much as possible then kill them.... It’s what GRRM and GOT does best. A few friends of mine have gone so far as to call episode 2 boring. I suppose if you were expecting a battle this episode might seem disappointing. I liked that we finally found out what motivated the Night King and why he wants to kill Bran. I have a feeling King Slayer might just become Queen Slayer before it’s all over.

I can’t wait for episode 3!! This is the first time I am watching them on the night they premiere and the waiting sucks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is not generally how people spend their final moments on earth. This was schmaltz not character development. To me it felt contrived. Hope this explains my position.

How much experience do you have waiting for an event that has a reasonable chance of your death and you have no way to avoid it?

IME, military members often bullshit / spin yards / tell outrageous stories before wading into the fray - they often don't have access to alcohol or available people of the opposite sex, or are forbidden from partaking, but if you knew tomorrow might be your last, I bet you'd be screwing someone if you could.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also liked finally seeing the payoff of Podrick's secret

Did I miss something? What was his secret?

I didn't mind the pace of the episode at all, I just wonder how in the hell are they going to wrap all this up in 4 more episodes? They have a lot to wrap up and I hope they don't just cram it all in

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post